Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling (7622 Views)

Businesses, Transporters Reject Old Naira Notes Amid Supreme Court’s Ruling / Naira Policy: CBN Awaits Legal Advice On Supreme Court Ruling / BUA Signs Deal With Turkish Firm To Build 2400TPD Flour Mills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by meforyou1(m): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2017
livgenius:
All accounts without BVN are blocked. No transactions can be done on those accounts. The Fed Govt is hiding behind BVN to try to steal money from individuals. How will you feel if your old grand parent has their money seized because they are too frail to go to the bank to register for BVN? Or you live abroad and they seize your money because you have not been able to do bvn? This is a precedent to test whether the govt can seize things by court order. If the banks and CBN don't challenge it, very soon they will move to other things. It may not affect you today because you have BVN but when it affects you tomorrow you won't know this BVN issue was the beginning.
accounts not linked to BVN are not blocked. U can make deposits into them but cannot make withdrawal. That apart, i agree with your submission

1 Like

Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by mare23ayo(m): 10:29am On Nov 07, 2017
Cloud007:
Banks are one of Nigeria's major issues.

I say this everytime, the are corporate thieves
Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by amunkita(m): 10:53am On Nov 07, 2017
ROYALD:

Man whatever Nigerian government is doing they should give those abroad option that is my take

i agree with you but the truth be told, they were provisions for those outside the shores to get that done, but sometimes we pursue money than getting to know what is happening around us.
Before the BVN deadline in 2015, i almost did mine outside but wen it occured to me that i would be coming back same year, i busted it so that i could get it done here.

So the solution:
such account funds should be sent to CBN or authorized body, whenever the person is back, proper KYC done, he gets his funds just as most bank do when an account has been dormant over some years.
Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by pocohantas(f): 11:15am On Nov 07, 2017
chisco82:

Mind you some of those accounts are own by some Nigerians in diaspora and some of them has no legal paper to travel.
I can tell you that 80% of people i knew in south korea are being affected because they cant do it here in south korea and these people has no valid paper to travel.
Mind you that is a criminal act, frozening an individual account because he/she did not do BVN. Simple the account should be place on restriction untill the person does his/her BVN, he/she cant have access to it.

That should be the ideal thing to do, but I guess FG is looking for free money.

1 Like

Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by Laid2001: 11:20am On Nov 07, 2017
The move by FGN is a good one to stifle those criminals that have our money fraudulently.

Most people have complained only about those abroad who have not been able to do BVN. The court directive actually made provision for them. The court said, all such accounts should be advertised by the banks and anyone that has legitimate reasons should present its reasons and show cause why his/her account should not be forfeited.

This cause can easily be shown with an affidavit from which ever country you are in or a Notarized statement asserting that the said account belongs to you and that you have not been able to come home for the BVN since 2014 or 2015. You can also make a Notary statement at the embassy in your country of residence and send same to your bank!. But this account name must have to tally with your Nigerian passport.! or you have to also say in the affidavit why the difference in name, like marriage or change of name documentation as well.

If you are not willing or unable to show cause not to forfeit the money in the account, then you probably deserve to lose the money.
Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by ROYALD(m): 11:37am On Nov 07, 2017
amunkita:

i agree with you but the truth be told, they were provisions for those outside the shores to get that done, but sometimes we pursue money than getting to know what is happening around us.
Before the BVN deadline in 2015, i almost did mine outside but wen it occured to me that i would be coming back same year, i busted it so that i could get it done here.

So the solution:
such account funds should be sent to CBN or authorized body, whenever the person is back, proper KYC done, he gets his funds just as most bank do when an account has been dormant over some years.

Only few countries that the Government opened centers for BVM
My dear where i live no center to do it even i called my Junior brother in Nigeria but i was frustrated,if the Bank can send forms to customers or the Government will open BVM Centers across Countries with time limit or Nigerian EMBASSY'S can help.My dear iam involve that is the reason i am worried honest.
Yes my concern is the total forfeit of money

1 Like

Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 07, 2017
pocohantas:

That should be the ideal thing to do, but I guess FG is looking for free money.
Free money, from the citizens that they are suppose to take care of?
How ur dey joor?
Re: BVN: Banks Engage Law Firm To Appeal Court Ruling by pocohantas(f): 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2017
chisco82:

Free money, from the citizens that they are suppose to take care of?
How ur dey joor?

Yes na. Our government is always collecting, without giving. Na their way. I'm good, hope you're good too? kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Grants Manufacturers Access To $660m / Divide Among Banks Widens As Small Lenders Face Cash Crunch / 2-3m For Business - Sound Ideas Needed Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.