Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,303 members, 7,815,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) (24676 Views)

David Hundeyin Advises Nigerian Chefs On The Mad Chase For Cook-a-thon GWR / The N16k Prawn, Plantain Served In A Lagos Hotel (Photo, Video) / "Kenyan Ladies Are The Best Chefs Ever" (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by kabakaauu: 4:36am On Nov 09, 2017
UNBELIEVABLE: First Restaurant That Has Only HIV-positive Chefs In The Kitchen Opened
Toronto is home to a new, first-of-its-kind pop-up — the world’s only restaurant where every piece of food is made by someone with HIV. Organizers say the impetus was a recent poll that found that the thought of dining with somebody who’s HIV-positive still paralyzes them with fear. The survey by Casey House, Canada’s only hospital dedicated to people living with HIV/AIDS, found that nearly half of Canadians wouldn’t eat a meal prepared by someone with the disease, even though health experts say the infection can’t be transmitted that way. To combat the stigma around food prep, Casey House decided it was time to pull a bold stunt.

watch the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3mOvasamTs

The pop-up, called June’s Eatery after Casey House’s co-founder June Callwood, launched this week. It advertised two four-course dinners made by 14 HIV-positive chefs for $125 — one yesterday, the other today. Both of them sold out.

Organizers told The Guardian that they even welcome “negative coverage,” though, as the “entire point of the pop-up” is “exposing the ignorance and blame around HIV and AIDS.” They did their best to test people, too — organizers say they mailed jars of soup prepared by the HIV-positive team to newsrooms “across Canada.” It seems they didn’t really care what became of that soup in a box, as long as it challenged media to “examine their own beliefs” before writing about the event.

source:http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/11/toronto-pop-up-junes-eatery-uses-hiv-positive-chefs.html

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by wordbank(m): 4:44am On Nov 09, 2017
I no near
Hiv kini?
Mbanu! My village people never reach ds level

60 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Oye0404(m): 4:51am On Nov 09, 2017
Even while in Nigeria, I dey fear d restaurant, ppl get mind sha

13 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by C4Ltd: 4:56am On Nov 09, 2017
Game changers

3 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by safetyInspector(m): 5:21am On Nov 09, 2017
It will be dead on arrival should they open a branch in Nigeria, even business activities in the neighborhood will drop.

96 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by hisgrace090: 5:22am On Nov 09, 2017
Now that they have made themselves open it is right time to round them up for proper treatment, to avoid more spreading of the deseas.

1 Like

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by nero2face: 5:40am On Nov 09, 2017
Una did not see me...
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by evanso6226(f): 5:55am On Nov 09, 2017
As far as their food make sense it doesn't matter HIV or AIDS .... Afterall them better pass some of the mama put way we get here ..

See why Biafrans believe they existed before Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Solomonudofia(m): 6:06am On Nov 09, 2017
evanso6226:
As far as their food make sense it doesn't matter HIV or AIDS .... Afterall them better pass some of the mama put way we get here ..

See why Biafrans believe they existed before Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utO_HvBj1Bw

WE ARE NOT SURPRISED..... EVEN WHEN DEATH COME MUGU GO CHUP NA...... it doesn't matter for mouth ... ppl like you na em discriminate pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Nobody: 6:34am On Nov 09, 2017
Bold step

Meanwhile check my signature
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Ejaculate: 6:46am On Nov 09, 2017
Good one From my POV. At least HIV carries can be I dentified and rounded up to stop futher spread. best way to eradicate aids

3 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 09, 2017
Chai
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Finstar: 8:16am On Nov 09, 2017
End time. Visit www.entmirror.com for all your business ideas wink
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by JamesReacher(m): 8:16am On Nov 09, 2017
Careful before one 'deranged' individual goes trigger happy on you folks. I would rather starve than eat there, I have trust issues.

4 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Flashh: 8:17am On Nov 09, 2017
Not in Nigeria. Even those with it, will forever avoid that restaurant.

7 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 09, 2017
shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Taiwo20(m): 8:18am On Nov 09, 2017
The war against discrimination is been won gradually

2 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Spaxon(f): 8:19am On Nov 09, 2017
It is meant for their kind
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Josh44s(m): 8:20am On Nov 09, 2017
This world is gone...

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by loadedvibes: 8:20am On Nov 09, 2017
Lol.. see matters.. people will now willingly get effected just to be employed.. oyinbo una well done
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by benzics(m): 8:22am On Nov 09, 2017
What more is left to see in this world? Just when you thought you've seen it all.

Even though it's a good step to stop stigmatization, bros my village people no ft make me chop there!

7 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Bullhari007(m): 8:24am On Nov 09, 2017
make them try it here... they will get 0 customer... I never dine with better people nah HIV chef go prepare the one I go chop ... devil e no go better for you

1 Like

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by caesaraba(m): 8:26am On Nov 09, 2017
Lol. Here to read comments from ignorant nairaladers who sadly, are in the majority.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by sirjentul05(m): 8:27am On Nov 09, 2017
I go chop and lick my hand and d plate cos hiv positive pple sabi cook wella

1 Like

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by magicminister: 8:29am On Nov 09, 2017
Great! Will definitely go eat there when i visit Toronto.
I hope the food is great! That's all that matters!!

3 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by WizAkzy: 8:37am On Nov 09, 2017
Wait, what if they encounter any accident in the kitchen while preparing the foods.

2 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by roundman: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2017
caesaraba:
Lol. Here to read comments from ignorant nairaladers who sadly, are in the majority.
I tell you.

2 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 09, 2017
We Nigerians have to learn to stop stigmatising people who are HIV positive. Stigma causes more problems for everyone.

1 Like

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by naksjude(m): 8:40am On Nov 09, 2017
Oyibo pipu and their nonsense again
Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 09, 2017
The virus can't survive outside the body, so not bothered

2 Likes

Re: Toronto Restaurant With Only HIV Positive Chefs (Photo, Video) by freeman95(m): 8:46am On Nov 09, 2017
Na WA o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Homemade Jollof Rice / Recipe: How To Prepare Suya Spiced Chicken Nuggets / Pls How Do I Use My Gas Cooker Oven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.