Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator (1354 Views)

10 Hausa Foods You Need To Taste Before You Die. / Delicious Foods You Didn't Know You Could Grill / Foods You Shouldn’t Keep In Your Freezer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator by Craigbrown4076: 11:08am On Nov 09, 2017
We all tend to see the refrigerator as a safe place to keep food fresh and safe from destruction but that doesn’t seem to be the case. While a lot of food items can be refrigerated, there are loads of others that should be kept on the shelves if you’re to keep them fresh.

As a matter of fact, a lot of foods are worse of when kept in the refrigerator. Here are nine different foods that are better kept in the pantry than the refrigerator.

Unripe Fruit
Like it or not, fruits will not get ripe faster by storing them in the cold confines of a refrigerator. As a matter of fact, they may ripen faster by leaving them out at room temperature. You should however remember to eat them immediately, or keep them in the fridge for a day or two so it doesn’t get overripe and mouldy.

Oil
Irrespective of the type of oil it maybe, it should be kept out of the refrigerator. Keeping it in the fridge will cause it to solidify into a butter-like consistency. You should instead keep oil in a cool, dark place.

Garlic
When it comes to foods and storing them in the fridge, garlic cloves can start to sprout if kept in the refrigerator. More so, they can become rubbery and mouldy as time goes by. Instead, store garlic in a cool, dark place that is well-ventilated.

Bread
The fact is bread tends to dry out faster when stored in the fridge. If you plan on eating them within a day or two of purchasing them, you can keep them on a counter. If not, wrap it well and toss it in the freezer, where it will keep for a few months.

Potatoes
Cold temperature such as the one found in Refrigerators tend to cause the starch in potatoes to rapidly transform into sugar, which results in gritty, off-flavored tubers. As such, they are best stored in a paper bag which helps with air circulation in a cool, dark place.

Honey
When you store foods such as honey in a fridge, chances are they will begin to crystalize and turn in a thick mess that would be nearly impossible to use either in your tea or over your yogurt. It’s best to store them away in your cupboard.

Continue reading :
http://www.talkturner.com/2017/11/9-foods-you-should-not-refrigerate.html

1 Share

Re: 9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator by Giddymoney(m): 11:11am On Nov 09, 2017
Someone should please tell my uncle to stop putting bread in the fridge

That stuff is annoying
Re: 9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator by Craigbrown4076: 2:21pm On Nov 09, 2017
Giddymoney:
Someone should please tell my uncle to stop putting bread in the fridge

That stuff is annoying

Hahahaha... i know
right
Really annoying... But that cold bread feeling, its kinda cool oh cool
Re: 9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator by Giddymoney(m): 2:42pm On Nov 09, 2017
Craigbrown4076:

Hahahaha... i know
right
Really annoying... But that cold bread feeling, its kinda cool oh cool

LOL.. I don't think it's kinda cool , I love it soft and hot �
Re: 9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator by chii8(f): 8:42pm On Nov 10, 2017
My dad still put bread in the fridge sef, I can't tell him to stop, because he can argue for Africa. In fact most people that age behave same.
Re: 9 Foods You Should Keep Out Of The Refrigerator by hisgrace090: 7:23am On Nov 11, 2017
chii8:
My dad still put bread in the fridge sef, I can't tell him to stop, because he can argue for Africa. In fact most people that age behave same.

First of all celebrates that you have a father that have fridge because not everyone do.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

China Taize Sells High-quality Cassava Processing Machine, Cleaning Slicer, Brin / Post Pictures Of Church Themed Cakes / Online Catering Training On Whatsapp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.