Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,168 members, 7,811,389 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa (11795 Views)

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening / Out Of Status F1 Student, Marrying A US Citizen / I Have Active (unused) F1 Visa, But I Now Need Work-visit Visa. Please Help!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by depressed9: 4:42pm On Mar 21, 2010
Anyone with ideas on the consequences of being out of status on an F1 visa that is'nt expired?
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by OBLONG(m): 5:21pm On Mar 21, 2010
get it renewed----- or talk to the international student center at your school
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by johnkent(m): 6:40am On Mar 22, 2010
Possible deportation.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by ibileye(f): 2:37pm On Mar 23, 2010
If you are not in school, then there is trouble. You can only marry a US citizen for You to be legal.

2 Likes

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by leye1234(m): 3:15pm On Mar 23, 2010
@poster
There is still hope, as long as its not expired. Look for someone you can get married to and you don't have to return to nigeria.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by justwise(m): 3:56pm On Mar 23, 2010
Please can somebody give him a sensible advice apart this marriage this and that? This is just silly

2 Likes

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by dancewith: 6:20pm On Mar 23, 2010
That is the right way to go. Either you get married to a legal resident or you get out. But you can win a green card lottery, who knows?

1 Like

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by dancewith: 6:29pm On Mar 23, 2010
@justwise,

Here you have very limited options with a student visa. Your work status is restrictive and unlike the UK there is no post study work permit. In most cases you can adjust your status if for instance you are now married to a legal resident or you win a green card or is sponsored by a relative. But its a lot harder to get a work authorization with a student visa so getting an employer to petition on your behalf is difficult as you can only work in campus

But he can return to Nigeria and try various IV categories. But if he chooses to stay he risks deportation
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by sunboy(m): 6:42pm On Mar 23, 2010
Out of status as in ? ur have an f1 visa that hasnt expired and you are not going to the school? is that what you meant by out of status?
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by suxes2005(m): 7:03pm On Mar 23, 2010
@sunboy

Wat he mean is dat he has a F1 visa
to d states and d poster did not maintain
d status so it has expired now and he dont
know wat to do!

@Poster: Just make sure u find
ur way and do something better
dia. Plus wat av u been doin since?

SHALOM
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by gongoaso1: 7:14pm On Mar 23, 2010
funny those advising marriage like its beans. if u get someone to marry fine.

but u have not answered the most important. your i20 form is the most important. How are u out of status ? is ur i20 expired or what? or u dropped out of school (most likely)
what u need to remain in legal status is an i20 form.
if u have dropped outta one school, apply to another and secure a new i20 asap b4 your out of status days accumulate to more than 12 mths.

dancewith:

@justwise,

Here you have very limited options with a student visa. Your work status is restrictive and unlike the UK there is no post study work permit. In most cases you can adjust your status if for instance you are now married to a legal resident or you win a green card or is sponsored by a relative. But its a lot harder to get a work authorization with a student visa so getting an employer to petition on your behalf is difficult as you can only work in campus

But he can return to Nigeria and try various IV categories. But if he chooses to stay he risks deportation
very wrong. there is post study work permit for F1 students. it is called OPT.

2 Likes

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by justwise(m): 7:29pm On Mar 23, 2010
gongo aso:

funny those advising marriage like its beans. if u get someone to marry fine.

but u have not answered the most important. your i20 form is the most important. How are u out of status ? is your i20 expired or what? or u dropped out of school (most likely)
what u need to remain in legal status is an i20 form.
if u have dropped outta one school, apply to another and secure a new i20 asap b4 your out of status days accumulate to more than 12 mths.
very wrong. there is post study work permit for F1 students. it is called OPT.

My point exactly!!
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by gongoaso1: 7:42pm On Mar 23, 2010
^^^yep.
while am not totally against the marriage option (people fall in love everyday and marry grin)
but it aint beans the way people put it.
plus it costs money if you want to runs it (highly risky and totally not advisable).

but there are other ways of remaining legal.
secure urself in school many scholarships flying around and get an i20. thats all u need to remain legal.
while in school shine ur eyes, people still get companies to file for them.

else get ur butts back to Naija or secure urself in one of em US refuge states lipsrsealed
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by suxes2005(m): 8:47pm On Mar 23, 2010
^^^

But I am kinda surprised about
dis deportation stuff

Bro, is it dat dey do check
one's P on d road or how will
dey know one is outta status?

Please tell d OP

SHALOM
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by gongoaso1: 10:19pm On Mar 23, 2010
^^^
no, they don't go about looking for illegals or checking your P at every turn (too many headaches already undecided).
ur status is the least of their problems. only thing is you cannot work legally.
as long as you keep outta trouble, an illegal is fine.
in some states, some illegals do have rights too.

not really an immigration expert though.

1 Like

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by suxes2005(m): 10:56pm On Mar 23, 2010
Thanks bro
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by johnkent(m): 3:06am On Mar 24, 2010
Some of u folks are just not getting it. having an unexpired student visa don't mean nothing because u still can have a valid visa and still be out of status. wat matters is that u have an unexpired I-20 and that you are currently enrolled in sch and taking atleast 12 credit hrs per semester for undergraduates or 9 credit hrs per semester for grad students(permission needed from int'l advisor if for some reason, u cant go to school full time).
Having said that, if the guy asking this question is actually out of status per my explanation, then the only way he could return back to school/back in status is applying to USCIS for reinstatement of f-1 status which can be granted depending on his reasons as to why we couldn't go to sch (illness, hardship, death in the family etc).
marriage is always a last options. Because he is "illegal" in the US at this time, he would not qualify to adjust his immigration status even if he has a ph.D and has an employer that can file for greencard for him. You'll have to be legally present in the US to adjust your status to permanent residency. Exceptions to that rule are immediate families of US citizens( children, spouse, parents).
So, his only 2 options is either getting his f-1 status reinstated or getting married to a USC which like i said is always a last resort. I do not recommend marrying a USC for immigration benefit. IT IS A FELONY and a deportable offence.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by Pittbaby(f): 4:22am On Mar 26, 2010
go to the international student advisor of the school that issued you your I-20 and stop seeking advice from non-professionals .

The only way that you are out od status is if you are past the validity on your f-1 status or you did not maintain the required credits and the sevis system has been updated to show that.

The international student advisor maybe able to get you re -enrolled , i have seen it happen .
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by silami(m): 7:59am On Dec 31, 2010
My friend was dismissed because he failed one class. please how does he go about it?
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by halliday1: 2:19am On Jan 18, 2011
look my friend, please, please, look for someone to marry to avoid all this wahala. that was what happened to me, i came with a student visa at age 16, 30yrs ago, and did not do the right thing. my mother filed for and now i am facing having to go back to nigeria for a new visa to adjust my status in the us. please my brother don't let this get out hand.

1 Like

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by oyewolejos(m): 2:46am On Jan 18, 2011
gongo aso:

^^^yep.
while am not totally against the marriage option (people fall in love everyday and marry grin)
but it aint beans the way people put it.
plus it costs money if you want to runs it (highly risky and totally not advisable).

but there are other ways of remaining legal.
s[b]ecure urself in school many scholarships flying around and get an i20. thats all u need to remain legal.
while in school shine your eyes, people still get companies to file for them.[/b]

else get your butts back to Naija or secure urself in one of em US refuge states lipsrsealed

Thats not beans either
halliday1:

look my friend, please, please, look for someone to marry to avoid all this wahala. that was what happened to me, i came with a student visa at age 16, 30yrs ago, and did not do the right thing. my mother filed for and now i am facing having to go back to nigeria for a new visa to adjust my status in the us. please my brother don't let this get out hand.

Thats the bitter truth. I hate all these anti-marriage sentiments. We all know thats the only solution right now. Some 9jerians are trying to be more Catholic than the Pope himself cheesy
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by halliday1: 5:21am On Jan 18, 2011
no kidding, america doesn't care how holy u r, pls understand that, this is a country of laws and order, and the laws must be followed accordingly. i pray this bros acts up on this advice, i don't want any of my bros suffer, the way i have suffered in this country. shine ur eyes and do the right thing if u want to leave in this country.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by oyewolejos(m): 4:44pm On Jan 18, 2011
halliday1:

no kidding, america doesn't care how holy u r, pls understand that, this is a country of laws and order, and the laws must be followed accordingly. i pray this bros acts up on this advice, i don't want any of my bros suffer, the way i have suffered in this country. shine your eyes and do the right thing if u want to leave in this country.

Land of the free, home of the brave not home of the holy
I really hope the poster makes haste while the sun shines
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by halliday1: 5:00pm On Jan 18, 2011
i even challenge the Land of the free phrase, how free r we really, when our whole life is been watched and documented. bros i hope this poster can understand and act fast, because life can be very very unstable without Green card or citizenship, he will find his life stagnant, while his mates are moving on and at the end (God forbid)still deported, and back to square one.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by omega25red(m): 5:17pm On Jan 18, 2011
everyone advicing to marry, have you done that?if yes did you marry for love or runs? if runs what did it cost you besides your self respect and dignity?.
halliday1:

^^ you came to the u.s 30yrs ago how come you never married someone for the same reason you are giving?

My question to the poster is, what did you do to be in the situation your are in? were you expelled or you just didn't go to school? if you say what happened maybe people who know will be able to give you advice as to easier things to do to save your status. Yes you can go and marry someone but do you have enough money to fund it? are you ready to be practically held hostage because the woman will alway hold your immigration situation over your head when she needs something. The negatives go on and on and to top it all off the u.s immig know whats up.
Anyway fix your current situation and dont further complicate what you have.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by halliday1: 5:31pm On Jan 18, 2011
i agree with u, i am #1 advocate for education, but the truth is u can not be in school forever just to stay in status, i believe if he can fall in love and marry an american woman, immigration will give him his card. u know this immigration is not God, the poster can also try and apply for dv lottery visa, i have seen people that were out of status and obtained their card that way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by oyewolejos(m): 3:35am On Jan 19, 2011
omega25red:

everyone advicing to marry, have you done that?i[b]f yes did you marry for love or runs?[/b] if runs what did it cost you besides your self respect and dignity?. ^^ you came to the u.s 30yrs ago how come you never married someone for the same reason you are giving?

My question to the poster is, what did you do to be in the situation your are in? were you expelled or you just didn't go to school? if you say what happened maybe people who know will be able to give you advice as to easier things to do to save your status. Yes you can go and marry someone but do you have enough money to fund it? are you ready to be practically held hostage because the woman will alway hold your immigration situation over your head when she needs something. The negatives go on and on and to top it all off the u.s immig know whats up.
Anyway fix your current situation and dont further complicate what you have.

Nobody is answerable to u so u r not in the position to ask that kinda question. People get married everyday and they have their own reasons of getting married to whoever they wanna marry.
If u gat any problem with that then let us know cheesy
Morever he can't even go back to sch again cos they will tell him to apply to USCIS for Re-instatement which is nearly impossible cos of his messed up Immigration history. The only thing that could salvage his situation now is to become an immediate relative of a US citizen.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by halliday1: 5:45am On Jan 19, 2011
My brother oyewolejos thank u o, why must people act like they are so perfect by trying to condemn other people's mistake. lets try and support, and encourage this out of status guy to try and i do the right thing for himself. as u know what ever decision u make today will definitely affect u tommorrow, whether good or bad. this out of status thing is no joke. please fix it asap.
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by tpia6: 5:51am On Jan 19, 2011
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by oyewolejos(m): 6:17am On Jan 20, 2011
tpia*:

you came to the US 30 years ago and never regularized your status?

not even when george bush sr [was it] gave a blanket amnesty in the nineties or so?

you never played the visa lottery either?

i dont get it.

you never married, had kids in those 30 years?

U got any problem?
Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by halliday1: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2011
No, Thank God, i don't have any problems. when i first came to this country, all i did was school, school, school, never had to work, when George Bush signed amnesty i went to a law firm in San Francisco, California, where i was deceived by them telling me i wasn't qualify to file and that was how l left it, i later found out that i had been deceived and its been done to many Nigerians and Africans. thank God i have never suffered financially because of my education and my job till now that i was approved for family based Green card. please do not judge me, coming to this country at a very young age has its disadvantages, with no direction i did my best given my situation.

1 Like

Re: Out Of Status In Us On F1 Visa by lolawilliams(f): 9:03pm On May 06, 2016
ibileye:
If you are not in school, then there is trouble. You can only marry a US citizen for You to be legal.

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: Commuters Groan, As Transport Fares Increase In Ogun / Two Brothers Aged 12 And 14 Drown In Kwara River (Photo) / Nigerian Company Selling Kerosene To Airlines As Jet Fuel!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.