Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au (596 Views)

How To Report Any Nigerian Policeman Asking For Bail Money / Obasanjo - Ghaddafi’s Fall Fuelled Boko-Haram / Fleeing Ghaddafi Forces And Officials Are In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by asha80(m): 6:31pm On Mar 21, 2010
Nigeria to report Ghaddafi to UN, AU
National News Mar 21, 2010 By Ben Agande

Abuja-The Federal Government is contemplating reporting the Libyan leader, Colonel Muamar Ghadaffi to the United Nations, UN, and the African Union, AU, over his recent statement that Nigeria be split into two along religious lines.

Mr. Ghadaffi was quoted as saying that the solution to the sectarian crises in Nigeria was dividing the country into two, the North for the Muslims and the South for Christians.

He said the problem was essentially caused by the colonial masters, Britain.

The Federal Government immediately recalled the Ambassador to Libya, Alhaji Isa Mohammed.

He is due to arrive Abuja today or tomorrow to brief officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the situation. He could not arrive earlier because of flight connections between the two countries

There is no direct flight between Nigeria and Libya and the only flights are from either Morocco or Egypt where the Moroccan national airline and the Egyptian airline operate direct flight to Nigeria through the Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano.

One source told Sunday Vanguard that with the dissolution of the Executive Council of the Federation, EXCOF, the recalled ambassador is expected to brief the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who will in turn brief the acting president ‘as early as possible’ on the next line of action.

Sunday Vanguard however gathered that beyond the reaction of Nigeria through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which described the utterance of the Libyan leader as irresponsible, there is not likely to be a tougher stand on the matter.

“I think what is likely going to happen is that Nigeria will convey its strong objection to the Libyan government through the relevant channels and the utterance is not likely to cause any major obstacle between Nigeria and Libyan diplomatic relations. Africa is the cornerstone of Nigeria’s diplomatic policy and the Nigerian government is not likely going to cause any upstage,”a diplomatic source said in Abuja,adding:“the Libyan president is generally known in the diplomatic circle cantankerous and most of the time,, his utterances are best ignored but relevant government agencies have been directed to closely monitor the matter and see whether there is any likelihood of the Libyan government sponsoring some groups in Nigeria.”

It was gathered that Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan has indicated interest to report the Libyan president to the African Union and the United Nations ‘but this is dependent on the outcome of the consultation with the Ambassador’ a source said.

Several attempts to get the official reaction of the Foreign Affairs Ministry on the next line of action proved abortive as repeated calls to the spokesman of the ministry, Mr Ozo Nwobu were not answered.

Since his posting to Libya, Ambassador Isa Mohammed has been working behind the scene to free Nigerians held in Libyan prisons, a feat he has achieved in repatriating some Nigerians from the North African country.

Before his appointment as Nigeria’s ambassador to Libya, Alhaji Isa Mohammed was a resident Electoral Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission whose last posting was in Edo where he conducted the 2007 elections.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/21/nigeria-to-report-ghaddafi-to-un-au/

Senate President,Chief David Mark called Ghadaffi a mad man while the Arewa Consultative Forum,ACF,denounced his statement as reckless
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by ElRazur: 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2010
After report nko?

Ghadaffi is almost untouchable in such instances. The row will die down in a week or two.
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by ziga: 6:40pm On Mar 21, 2010
ElRazur:

After report nko?

Ghadaffi is almost untouchable in such instances. The row will die down in a week or two.

Nobody is untouchable. He has made a lot of people believe that about him and is riding on that.
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by ElRazur: 6:42pm On Mar 21, 2010
ziga:

Nobody is untouchable. He has made a lot of people believe that about him and is riding on that.

You are not getting my point. Let me make myself clearer.

While it is true that no one is untouchable, in this instance I am not sure how Nigeria can hurt or get back at him for this. A report to UN or Mohammed will not bother him in the slightest I think.
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by honeric01(m): 6:47pm On Mar 21, 2010
They should stop wasting our time jare, what are they expected to gain from that? abeg, let them face the electoral reform, they should make sure they fix the loopholes so that 2011 won't be as flawed as 2007.
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by Dominoifet(m): 6:47pm On Mar 21, 2010
They should have recalled Ghaddafi himself. Foolherdy!!! The thruth always hurts
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by Dominoifet(m): 6:55pm On Mar 21, 2010
After they recalled the ambassador and they spank him for allowing Ghaddafi to say what he said. They should send him back. But I'll xpect Ghaddafi to show madness like he's been called and not allow the almajibassador to come into his country again, or better yet throw him into jail at landing as a security threath to Libya. Then, I will like to see what they would do to him. pssh! I need a word for them help me
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by Dominoifet(m): 6:56pm On Mar 21, 2010
After they recalled the ambassador and they spank him for allowing Ghaddafi to say what he said. They should send him back. But I'll xpect Ghaddafi to show madness like he's been called and not allow the almajibassador to come into his country again, or better yet throw him into jail at landing as a security threath to Libya. Then, I will like to see what they would do to him. pssh! I need a word for them help me
Re: Nigeria To Report Ghaddafi To Un, Au by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 21, 2010
This has to be a joke.

Is it the same Ghaddafi that went to the last UN summit (or so ) last year and practically dissed all the so called heavy weights (live on TV) that Nigeria wants to report?

Psssshhhhh. . . . . Jokes!

(1) (Reply)

Niger Delta Ex- Militants Coalition - Enough Of The Dirty Politics In Bayelsa / Senators Agitate, Insist On Seeing Yar'adua / United States Endorse Jonathan For 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.