Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,149 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ? (6740 Views)

OAU Loses Accreditation For Law, Dentistry, Botany And Medical Rehabilitation / Only UNILAG Has Full Accreditation For Law In Nigeria / Female Underwear Found In Unilag Library For Law Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ? by NeeKlaus: 6:42am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
I did sir,you intend to diversify to other venture...
why not just forfeit the ambition to become a lawyer and start the biz?
Just like I presumed. You didn't understand. I don't intend focusing on other "ventures" like you pointed out (though I wonder what ventures you mean exactly), my point is not relying totally on practicing law in the law field. Become a lawyer successfully then explore all other job opportunities in the legal circle apart from just joining a chamber and hoping you get cases regularly.

My post is not to discourage you, except if you have comprehension problems. My main point is to plan for your life after law school and all these are what my Professors in school have told us severally during lectures.

You can't tell me you know more than they do, can you? Take care.

3 Likes

Re: ? by queenfav(f): 7:15am On Nov 12, 2017
I woke up to mentions from law freshers graduates and law school aspirants, saying my post was discouraging.I never said don't study law, I am just giving you a heads up on what to expect after law school.Let me save my breath, will be here waiting for feedback when you all are done with law school, and have worn the wig and gown to different Courts, worked with a law firm for 4 years like I have!
I am not one to sugarcoat anything. I stand by my previous posts and he who has ear will heed all i said. If you like be living in wonderland expecting that a red carpet will be rolled out for you after call to bar!I Wish you all the best.I have been practicing law since 2014,so i should know better! Them say who no go, no know! Wait till you are practicing law, then come back and comment that my post was all fluff!
Who advised me to start a business? Nobody o. When you have bills to pay, you live alone and do everything for yourself, you wouldn't want to die with a profession that can't even feed you!I thank God for my life today..

I made a post in 2015 (link below). I was suffering severe depression after my call to bar/Nysc completion. I hated those who commented and told me to start a business. In my mind, i felt it was insulting, that why did i spend 6 years of my life studying law if I can't practice it and be well paid?
I thought it was beneath a Lawyer to go into buying and selling.. Hehehehehehee. Newsflash, the money i make from my business on a good day, is one that law practice will not fetch me in two months! The same business i felt was not something a lawyer should do, is my major source of income today!

I encourage those who mentioned me to read and gather facts so you don't say nobody told you. I am not the average Nigerian who avoids the elephant in the room, i say it like it really is!
https://www.nairaland.com/2534179/did-make-mistake-studying-law

17 Likes

Re: ? by Finstar: 7:44am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
are you saying everyone should become an entrepreneur?
I do not want to believe you are among those pushover that jamb changed their destiny?.
I am a conformist of pursuing passion, around my locality there are tons of Entrepreneurs that their feeding method is from their hands to their mouth, In life Equality is just a theory.

You need to know the difference between an entrepreneur and a self employed.. However, i'm not advocating for anyone to become an entrepreneur. If that happens, balance is broken. When i was a kid with a stale childish mindset, I wanted to be a lawyer.. Then I grew up and discovered that the real world needed more. I believe in the pursuit of passion, but to be financially free, you've to go up your game and look into the path of entrepreneurship. You're in a professional field doesn't you can't.

Thank you.
Re: ? by remi1444: 7:54am On Nov 12, 2017
Finstar:

You need to know the difference between an entrepreneur and a self employed.. However, i'm not advocating for anyone to become an entrepreneur. If that happens, balance is broken. When i was a kid with a stale childish mindset, I wanted to be a lawyer.. Then I grew up and discovered that the real world needed more. I believe in the pursuit of passion, but to be financially free, you've to go up your game and look into the path of entrepreneurship. You're in a professional field doesn't you can't.

Thank you.
thank God your reply wasn't as crude as our last encounter in another thread.
Anyway, different folks with different stroke.
grace differs.
Re: ? by remi1444: 8:12am On Nov 12, 2017
queenfav:
I woke up to mentions from law freshers graduates and law school aspirants, saying my post was discouraging.I never said don't study law, I am just giving you a heads up on what to expect after law school.Let me save my breath, will be here waiting for feedback when you all are done with law school, and have worn the wig and gown to different Courts, worked with a law firm for 4 years like I have!
I am not one to sugarcoat anything. I stand by my previous posts and he who has ear will heed all i said. If you like be living in wonderland expecting that a red carpet will be rolled out for you after call to bar!I Wish you all the best.I have been practicing law since 2014,so i should know better! Them say who no go, no know! Wait till you are practicing law, then come back and comment that my post was all fluff!
Who advised me to start a business? Nobody o. When you have bills to pay, you live alone and do everything for yourself, you wouldn't want to die with a profession that can't even feed you!I thank God for my life today..

I made a post in 2015 (link below). I was suffering severe depression after my call to bar/Nysc completion. I hated those who commented and told me to start a business. In my mind, i felt it was insulting, that why did i spend 6 years of my life studying law if I can't practice it and be well paid?
I thought it was beneath a Lawyer to go into buying and selling.. Hehehehehehee. Newsflash, the money i make from my business on a good day, is one that law practice will not fetch me in two months! The same business i felt was not something a lawyer should do, is my major source of income today!

I encourage those who mentioned me to read and gather facts so you don't say nobody told you. I am not the average Nigerian who avoids the elephant in the room, i say it like it really is!
https://www.nairaland.com/2534179/did-make-mistake-studying-law
Smh, all I've got to say is GRACE DIFFERS. the way you painted the picture, especially to us that are fresher, it will make us study it reluctantly with the impression that law has lost it's glory, you cant succeed in life if you rely on LL.B+BL .
I should dump this Law thing and start up a provision store since queenfav and Finstar said Law isn't worthwhile and if it goes wrong.... comment my reserve.

1 Like

Re: ? by Finstar: 8:16am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
thank God your reply wasn't as crude as our last encounter in another thread.
Anyway, different folks with different stroke.
grace differs.

Crude? Who doesn't like crude product? From there, lots of things are produced lol.. Sometimes I can be straight to a fault. I know it's a flaw and I'm working on it. If I had offended you, please pardon.. Thank You Sir.
Re: ? by queenfav(f): 8:23am On Nov 12, 2017
NeeKlaus:

Dude, you are a Law fresher? I am almost in my finals and I can tell you plainly that what she said is the bitter truth. It's more beneficial to be realistic.

The Law market right now is over-saturated and extremely bloated. With the high influx of graduate lawyers each year from the Law school, it takes the grace of God (and connections too) to actually practice the course successfully and financially too.

Honestly, I am not so big on law practice. The jumping upandan in court, hoping a juicy brief falls on you. I have other ideas I hope to successfully carry out in the law field after law school and Corporate law would definitely do it for me.

What she typed there is the bitter truth; I have heard that tale severally and even from some of my lecturers.
Thanks a lot. Well, i don't blame anybody. I blame myself actually, else my younger brother's age mate in 100L would not be bandying words with me. Experience remains the best teacher. This is my last post here.

3 Likes

Re: ? by Adeoba10(m): 8:36am On Nov 12, 2017
EricSmallz:
I have been admitted by the Nigeria Law School. But I need a miracle to be able to pay my fees.
Gather that money and use it to build your own court.. grin

3 Likes

Re: ? by remi1444: 8:49am On Nov 12, 2017
Finstar:

Crude? Who doesn't like crude product? From there, lots of things are produced lol.. Sometimes I can be straight to a fault. I know it's a flaw and I'm working on it. If I had offended you, please pardon.. Thank You Sir.
can a a CEO offend a janitor? lolz ...boss we cool.
Re: ? by remi1444: 8:57am On Nov 12, 2017
queenfav:
Thanks a lot. Well, i don't blame anybody. I blame myself actually, else my younger brother's age mate in 100L would not be bandying words with me. Experience remains the best teacher. This is my last post here.
I'm sorry if you received my quotes as disrespectful, I'm sorry, just that I'm being passionate.

Thank you jamariwolf

1 Like

Re: ? by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 12, 2017
Queenfav is very right. To make it in Law in Nigeria, be connected/super rich or finish with insane quality grades. Spending 6 years to study law in Nigeria is really a waste of time except if you are indeed passionate about the course then by all means study law.

If you are after MONEY do NOT study Law. I repeat DO NOT. it makes more sense to pick a 4 year course finish then enter into Business or apply for jobs bearing in mind that anybody works anywhere in Nigeria or you can apply for Graduate trainee jobs where you will be retrained to met the demands of the firm.

2 Likes

Re: ? by Finstar: 9:17am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
can a a CEO offend a janitor? lolz ...boss we cool.

We're all bosses In our own realm cool

1 Like

Re: ? by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
Am I'm sorry if you received my quotes as disrespectful, am I'm sorry just that am I'm being passionate.
and you're a law student too?

1 Like

Re: ? by remi1444: 9:50am On Nov 12, 2017
jamariwolf:

and you're a law student too?
I'm a fresher sir, Thank you bro, I've learnt from you.
Re: ? by Nobody: 9:54am On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
I'm a fresher sir, Thank you bro, I've learnt from you.
my pleasure. you welcome.
Re: ? by remi1444: 9:56am On Nov 12, 2017
jamariwolf:
my pleasure. you welcome.
i mailed you, check your inbox.
Re: ? by EricSmallz(m): 11:09am On Nov 12, 2017
queenfav:
I didn't want to talk o, cos if i start to talk eh! Yea the guy is somewhat right.. I know a married man with a child earning 15k monthly working in a medium sized firm. The appearance fee he was promised never comes regularly.To feed his family is a big issue!Some clients would rather pay your appearance fee with thanks and prayers.
Law will make u rich if you are from a highly connected family where good briefs can fall on your laps, or after many years of blood, sweat and tears. I don't know how to convey all my thoughts o, but finally being a lawyer is not as great as it's cracked up to be. Just last week, a lawyer who is 20 years at the bar, was begging my colleague for 500 naira to eat at Court of appeal canteen. I almost cried because people seeing him outside would assume he is making it big. He has been owing his counsels in Chambers salary of 25k for about two months now.

I have been practicing law since 2014 and trust me, the personal briefs i have gotten hasn't fetched me up to 250k!Not to discourage the op o, but be prepared for life after law school. It's not rosy at all.My first job after service was with N10000 pay. I had to rely on my savings to get by, because that money couldn't even feed me in two weeks.
By all means go to law school, but i beg you in God's name.. Have a skill, business or talent that will feed you.. Law won't give you the big bucks except u land a juicy job or come from a family with connections. So Yes some lawyers are 5 years at the bar, if you take them to the bank. They can't boast of 200k account balance!.
If someone had been honest with me, i would have saved myself the long years of studying law by going for mass communications, then used the One million naira plus i spent in law school on books, feeding, fees, living expenses etc to quietly set up a business. By now i would have had chains of businesses. Anyways, thank God for opening my eyes.
In the law firm i work, all of us have businesss we combine with work to make extra cash. Two of my colleagues sells cars. One is into Digital branding, another does food supply from the North to hotels and restaurants (carrots, irish potatoes green peppers). The profession is over saturated. Only the older lawyers are cashing in big time, most new wigs are left to wallow in poverty. Just best to have a back up plan, so you don't get lured into doing anything dirty for money.
Recently, someone was gisting me about a girl who attended the same university with me. As we speak she does runs to survive, alongside her job of 20k in Warri. She does rich married guys to meet up with herra bills.You can imagine a professional trading her body for few crumbs. It is well o, just be smart, that's all. (Do pardon the typos)!
well said sir. I enjoyed reading this. I have few senior colleagues who made it big few years after law school. everything in life has two sides. I so much believe in my self. I will never regret any step I take towards studying and practicing law. it's something I love. and besides, I have plans. money must be made
Re: ? by sinaj(f): 12:12pm On Nov 12, 2017
queenfav:
I didn't want to talk o, cos if i start to talk eh! Yea the guy is somewhat right.. I know a married man with a child earning 15k monthly working in a medium sized firm. The appearance fee he was promised never comes regularly.To feed his family is a big issue!Some clients would rather pay your appearance fee with thanks and prayers.
Law will make u rich if you are from a highly connected family where good briefs can fall on your laps, or after many years of blood, sweat and tears. I don't know how to convey all my thoughts o, but finally being a lawyer is not as great as it's cracked up to be. Just last week, a lawyer who is 20 years at the bar, was begging my colleague for 500 naira to eat at Court of appeal canteen. I almost cried because people seeing him outside would assume he is making it big. He has been owing his counsels in Chambers salary of 25k for about two months now.

I have been practicing law since 2014 and trust me, the personal briefs i have gotten hasn't fetched me up to 250k!Not to discourage the op o, but be prepared for life after law school. It's not rosy at all.My first job after service was with N10000 pay. I had to rely on my savings to get by, because that money couldn't even feed me in two weeks.
By all means go to law school, but i beg you in God's name.. Have a skill, business or talent that will feed you.. Law won't give you the big bucks except u land a juicy job or come from a family with connections. So Yes some lawyers are 5 years at the bar, if you take them to the bank. They can't boast of 200k account balance!.
If someone had been honest with me, i would have saved myself the long years of studying law by going for mass communications, then used the One million naira plus i spent in law school on books, feeding, fees, living expenses etc to quietly set up a business. By now i would have had chains of businesses. Anyways, thank God for opening my eyes.
In the law firm i work, all of us have businesss we combine with work to make extra cash. Two of my colleagues sells cars. One is into Digital branding, another does food supply from the North to hotels and restaurants (carrots, irish potatoes green peppers). The profession is over saturated. Only the older lawyers are cashing in big time, most new wigs are left to wallow in poverty. Just best to have a back up plan, so you don't get lured into doing anything dirty for money.
Recently, someone was gisting me about a girl who attended the same university with me. As we speak she does runs to survive, alongside her job of 20k in Warri. She does rich married guys to meet up with her bills.You can imagine a professional trading her body for few crumbs. It is well o, just be smart, that's all. (Do pardon the typos)!
Your story tho.

I never loved Law but almost studied it coz of fathers choice ish. Heard stories like yours when I was still in secondary schl nd it really scared the hell out of me. My frnds mum studied law but is into business, Even had a frnd on 2go that period that studied law but had to leave it for human hair business.

I also know many people that studied law but dont practice, later learnt they only after the prestige that comes with the title.

Am glad i did smtin else tho.
Re: ? by 14teenK: 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2017
sinaj:
Your story tho.

I never loved Law but almost studied it coz of fathers choice ish. Heard stories like yours when I was still in secondary schl nd it really scared the hell out of me. My frnds mum studied law but is into business, Even had a frnd on 2go that period that studied law but had to leave it for human hair business.

I also know many people that studied law but dont practice, later learnt they only after the prestige that comes with the title.

That was how I missed studying law.
Do you regret not studying the course or what??
Re: ? by sinaj(f): 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
14teenK:
Do you regret not studying the course or what??
Am happy I didnt.
Re: ? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 12, 2017
I align myself with the submissions of queenfav. She is absolutely spot on.

Truth be told most lawyers even older ones live in absolute penury. I have heard of and seen lawyers who cannot afford to eat three square meals.

I am a lawyer myself and although I happen to be lucky (my dad was a lawyer before he died, he left the law firm behind and I stepped in), most times young lawyers suffer the most.

Notwithstanding my own status, I had to set up a school and as I write presently the bulk of my income comes from the school.

While I will urge u to try to avail yourself for the law school, I will also tell you that should you fail to make it, you shouldn't be deterred at all. You can find yourself in another field and make headway.

6 Likes

Re: ? by 2map(m): 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2017
The Op asked for how he can raise money for law school and the first commenter said he won't make the amount in 2 years, others follow suit. Why such negativity? If you know you can't help why not just move on and leave with your negativity. 'i know a lawyer who lives in penury bla bla bla... '. I know for a fact several young lawyers who are living comfortably, earning enough for them to pay bills and have savings, and I'm certain with time they will earn more. Femi Falana, Gani Fawehinmi, Wole Olaonipekun, Yussuf Ali didn't make millions in their first few years of practice, they had humble beginnings, same as other big lawyers. You can ask. So enough with the negativity and your 'fake concern' if you can not assist.

What i know is, just as you lot claimed you've seen many and not being easy, of course, nothing is easy. Studying law does not equate you to be very rich in 2yrs. I believe if you're not lazy and you build yourself right from your undergraduate years, practice shouldn't be a problem. Money will come at the right time, it takes time to make it big, no doubt. And I'm sure the Op must have considered all this before getting to this level.

Op, if you alongside your friends who need assistance can team up, write a letter explaining your plight to seek for funds from well-to-do in the society, that might help. Well, I'm talking from experience.

Lastly, if i may ask, which University did you graduate from?

3 Likes

Re: ? by Erums(m): 3:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
queenfav:
Hahahahahaha.. I reserve my comments.

Ure beautiful maam... Seriously
Re: ? by 2map(m): 3:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
darkenkach:
I doubt if you will be able to make close to that amount in 5years after law school.

Oh, so you can see the future?
If you know you have nothing intelligent to say, just shut the Bleep up and move on.
Re: ? by Erums(m): 3:20pm On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
Smh, all I've got to say is GRACE DIFFERS. the way you painted the picture, especially to us that are fresher, it will make us study it reluctantly with the impression that law has lost it's glory, you cant succeed in life if you rely on LL.B+BL .
I should dump this Law thing and start up a provision store since queenfav and Finstar said Law isn't worthwhile and if it goes wrong.... comment my reserve.

With yr expressions and comprehension level, im not sure ure mentally capable to study law.... Whats wit u... Get the message, u either acept or decline, u cnt change her opinion....

Lastly, her opinions are real life not the books,

1 Like

Re: ? by remi1444: 3:52pm On Nov 12, 2017
Erums:

With yr expressions and comprehension level, im I'm or I AM not sure ure mentally capable to study law.... Whats wit u... Get the message, u either acept or decline, u cnt change her opinion....

Lastly, her opinions are real life not the books,
As a well cultured yoruba/uloshi lad, my parent instill in me how to respect elders even when they do not deserve it.
Re: ? by Erums(m): 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
As a well cultured yoruba/uloshi lad, my parent instill in me how to respect elders even when they do not deserve it.

So funny... Im, i'm, i am... Child, i believe you got the message... You can never find dy/dx in real life... Dats de message
Re: ? by idu1(m): 4:46pm On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444:
I am a law fresher, the way you made the profession look makes it seem like no "mr nobody" can make a living from it, even here on nairaland we've got well to do "mr nobodies" like Tolusan, mrmcjay, teespice, eveluv, treash, lawyer etc. The way you generalised how "disastrous" it is to study law could go to the number umpteenth miles to kill the zeal of prospective lawyers in pursuing what they are passionate about.
Am sorry for countering your post, just posting AS IT FLOWS.
keep giving yourself false hope...
Re: ? by Jay542(m): 4:54pm On Nov 12, 2017
darkenkach:
[s]I doubt if you will be able to make close to that amount in 5years after law school.[/s]
Bullshiit. People that have made much more no get 2head. Ma lo downgrade.
Re: ? by queenfav(f): 5:05pm On Nov 12, 2017
Erums:

Ure beautiful maam... Seriously
Thanks bro.
Re: ? by Teespice(f): 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
remi1444,

your mention brought me here.

queenfav to a large extent is being realistic. all I can say is pick out the positives from her post.

personally, being a lawyer has its own challenges especially in the area of finance. as it is, getting another office is tough.

I saw your post where you mentioned rich lawyers and you called my handle. abeg, forgive me if my posts gave you that very wrong impression. you have no idea how much I struggle. sometimes, some things are best left unsaid so as to not discourage those who may want to study law and as they say, experience is the best teacher.

besides, all I talk about is the court room experience. I never talked about living large biko.

one thing I realize is that it takes a lot of patience and hard work to make it.

cheers.

ps- op, you can talk to some lawyers in your vicinity. they might be of assistance.

5 Likes

Re: ? by cyberguy72(m): 7:21pm On Nov 12, 2017
Hi

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Use UNILAG University Based Email / Jamb/utme Use Of English Practise Questions / He Lives Under The Bridge and Studies For 18hours Daily. *pictures*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.