Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,424 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:02 PM

Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo (1935 Views)

Timi Dakolo Slams APC For Using His Song At Party Convention Without Permission / Sir Victor Uwaifo Is Dead / Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by kingem(m): 1:57pm On Nov 11, 2017
Sir Victor Uwaifo, singer of the 60’s hit song, ‘ Joromi ’ has come out to say that Simi and Jaywon failed to request for his permission before making the different remixes of his song.

In an exclusive chat with Vanguard NG, the one-time Edo State Commissioner for Arts and Culture, revealed that Jaywon and Simi did not obtain copyright permission from him before recording a remix of his hit song, ‘Joromi’.

“They didn’t contact me before doing a remix of Joromi; but I’m like a father to them so I can’t begin to drag them to court, so let them make a living out of it, but at the same time it’s piracy. I’ve heard it too many times on different occasions; it shows the quality of the music that has come a long way. As far as I’m concerned I’ve lived five lives (from one generation to the other), so if they want to appreciate and still appreciate me, it shows the quality of the music. .

It’s one thing to be an artiste and it’s another thing to stay on the scene for a long time; so I will not discourage artistes trying to remix or do another rendition of Joromi, but rather encourage them to give credit to the composer if they do”, he said.

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by GloriaNinja(f): 2:01pm On Nov 11, 2017
I DON'T EVEN LIKE THAT SONG
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by richeeyo(m): 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2017
Simi appearance shows she no get that
Molecules upstairs
Jaywon to follow cat
WA THEM USELESS MANAGERS
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by fuckingAyaya(m): 2:42pm On Nov 11, 2017
Hope this will not result to another black face and2face SAGA
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by ifyalways(f): 2:56pm On Nov 11, 2017
Too bad of Simi to have done so. Sir Victor is nice to be issuing them just verbal warning and taking it lightly with them.

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Sterope(f): 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2017
Simis's Jorimi is not the same as Victor Uwaifo's joromi

Different beats, different lyrics and different genre. It was not a remix. The only thing they have in common hs the title.

ifyalw.ays:
Too bad of Simi to have done so. Sir Victor is nice to be issuing them just verbal warning and taking it lightly with them.

9 Likes

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by pocohantas(f): 3:56pm On Nov 11, 2017
Sterope:
Simis's Jorini is not the same as Victor Uwaifo's joromi

Different beats, different lyrics and different genre. It was not a remix. The only common things is the title.

Be like old age done dey worry the man, that song only shares same title with his own joromi. It's not a remix of his...

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by zoaroster: 4:17pm On Nov 11, 2017
pocohantas:

Be like old age done dey worry the man, that song only shares same title with his own joromi. It's not a remix of his...
have u read and understood Nigeria copyright laws?
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by ibkayee(f): 4:22pm On Nov 11, 2017
zoaroster:
What does it say about cases like this where the only thing similar is the title? I don't know so genuinely would like to know
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by pocohantas(f): 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2017
zoaroster:

No, I haven't. Is he fighting for the title? That's plausible, Uche jombo had a similar case recently. But, Simi's Joromi is not a remix of his Joromi.
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Oyenike01(f): 4:42pm On Nov 11, 2017
pocohantas:

it's a remake of his song nah... listen to the beat.
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Sterope(f): 4:48pm On Nov 11, 2017
It is not.
Oyenike01:

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by pocohantas(f): 4:52pm On Nov 11, 2017
Oyenike01:

It's no remake to me.
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by lanrefront1(m): 5:18pm On Nov 11, 2017
Simi's song is not a remix of Peter Uwaifo's song. There is totally no similarity, either in lyrics, chorus, style, beats, totally different.

Like someone said, the songs only share same title if Joromi. And I don't believe you can a copyright to a singular name like Joromi.

I was surprised too when I saw the news. Was like, this man doesn't know what he's saying

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Chartey(m): 7:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
Simi's song is totally different. I guess Sir Victor Uwaifo himself has not heard the song. Maybe he was just told.
There are so many songs in this world with the same titles which is the only similarity in the two songs.
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by zoaroster: 10:01pm On Nov 11, 2017
pocohantas:

No, I haven't. Is he fighting for the title? That's plausible, Uche jombo had a similar case recently. But, Simi's Joromi is not a remix of his Joromi.
it's actually open to different interpretation but essentially the law sees copyright infringement as any direct or indirect reproduction, broadcasting or communication to the public of the whole or a substantial part of the recording either in its original form or in any form recognisably derived from the original. The applicable part here is " any form recognizably derived from the original"

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by campusblack10(m): 10:15pm On Nov 11, 2017
GloriaNinja:
I DON'T EVEN LIKE THAT SONG
After dropping mojere SMIK replies fans the reason he sounds like Alaga ibile Reminisce ... hear the freestyle

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Oyenike01(f): 10:02pm On Nov 13, 2017
Sterope:
It is not.
yes it is.... go and listen to the beats again.
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Oyenike01(f): 10:05pm On Nov 13, 2017
pocohantas:

It's no remake to me.
okay now.. music professor..
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by pocohantas(f): 11:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
Oyenike01:

okay now.. music professor..

No need for your tantrums.
You either respect my views as I have respected yours, or be the 'music professor' by proving the two sounds are similar.

zoaroster:
it's actually open to different interpretation but essentially the law sees copyright infringement as any direct or indirect reproduction, broadcasting or communication to the public of the whole or a substantial part of the recording either in its original form or in any form recognisably derived from the original. The applicable part here is " any form recognizably derived from the original"

How it applies to this situation is what I...WE, want to know. In simple words smiley
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Sterope(f): 1:27am On Nov 14, 2017
I did. They are not.
Oyenike01:

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by ibkayee(f): 1:29am On Nov 14, 2017
The songs don't sound similar at all
Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by Sterope(f): 5:09am On Nov 16, 2017
It is not!
Oyenike01:

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by onegig(m): 9:23am On Nov 19, 2017
@sterope, Pocohantas, zoaroster and Ibkayee

There are only 12 notes. There are 12 one note melodies, 144 2 note melodies, 1,728 3 note melodies, up to about 61 billion 10 note melodies.

This might seem like a lot but of essence not all note will sync. It's a big headache for copyright enforcers.

Analysing both songs shows that they have different lyrics and instrumentals but a step down they had the same keys at some point. Where Simi's was dropping the keys was almost as same as that of Victor Uwaifor's. If you take a keen look as an example.

At the start of Simi's Joromi there was a breaking beat and it can be likened to to the breaking beats of Uwaifor's Joromi. A lot of examples can be cited and I am on mobile so there's not much to type. Simi's case is not even helped that much because the song had the same name for the Protagonist and sounded like old school highlife music of yesteryears. Naturally people would say she got her inspiration from Uwaifor's song.

Uwaifor's Joromi used percussion and guitar mostly while Simi's is a mix of computer tunes and some beats.

One can't off the cuff disregard the old man's claim. If we had any sound engineer to help analyse it then we can conclusively say it did or didn't infringe on his copyright but until then I wouldn't pass a judgement.

1 Like

Re: Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo by ibkayee(f): 9:47am On Nov 19, 2017
@onegig
I'll listen to it again

(1) (Reply)

Woli Agba And Woli Arole; Who Is More Funny ? / Meet The Big Booty Love And Hip-hop Star Usher Reportedly Dumped His Wife For / The Illuminati IG Handler Busted By Bovi. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.