Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,478 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents (3801 Views)

Result Controversy: ‘It’s Unfair, Not My Fault’, Mmesoma Says On JAMB 3-Year Ban / Suggested Comments On Assessment Report Cards Of Pupils Or Students For The End / How To Obtain Lagos State Model College Form For Your Pupils or children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 12, 2017
cornelin:
BODMAS is simply an acronym and a aid to memory to school children. "Order" can be conveniently debated to mean "of". So you see, our primary school teachers did not deceive us.
pls, for more info on this subject matter, I would love you to judiciously read up this thread especially Liondeleo input.
https://www.nairaland.com/3786969/maths-teachers-must-apologise-us
he's input was wrong. Flawed. useless. And deceptive....
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2017
Emmyvans:
...Not sure what class I was when I first heard the word BODMAS but I am very sure it was in primary school. More so, because I dreaded (or even hated) going to school when I was little, I am also sure I missed the introductory class on BODMAS due to either being ill or feigning illness. I don’t know which of my teachers or friends mentioned the full meaning of the acronym, but what I knew it as was;
[center]Brackets, Of, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction
[/center]
It was when BODMAS was trending on the internet, only as recent as September 2016, years after leaving primary school, that I realised I have been talking wrong about the meaning of the acronym. See below;
[center]Brackets, Order, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction
[/center]
I am also certain I wasn’t the only one who had this misconception of the acronym. God bless our teachers sha.
However, the essence of this article is not in whether the ‘O’ stood for ‘Order’ and not ‘Of’ but to address an observed problem that a lot of persons (young, old, elderly) do not understand how this foundational process works. I had my struggles in time past but it appears lot of persons display their misunderstanding of the term with so much confidence that the popular (wrong) response rather than the correct answer is accepted as right to a supposedly simple math problem.

And I ask myself, who is really to blame for this grave misunderstanding. Should we blame our primary school teachers who, themselves, misunderstood the BODMAS process and explained it to us to their own understanding? Or should we blame pupils who didn’t pay attention when the correct thing was taught or who saw teachers as gods and took everything they were taught hook, line and sinker? Or should we blame parents and guardians who did not understand the process or forgot the process and could not put their children through on the right? Whose fault is it?

It may sound funny but it is actually a very serious matter. By fire and by force, we must break out of these strongholds for the sake of our kids and wards.

Dear readers, do take a minute to answer the question below. Also share friends and colleagues to attempt. On the next series, I will also share the right BODMAS process and do share with everyone so that we can all understand.

38 is the answer
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 12, 2017
femi4:
Stop reading halfway. Bodmas was taught in pry school and early jss where the syllabus covered problems solving involving x to the power of y. Where y is not a fraction. Mr Maths teacher...pele
I'm not a math teacher. If I were, I would prefer it to being a dimwit like you. People like you always try to mask ignorance with stupidity. I know your type.
Inspite of your foolishness, you said what I explained. That using that incorrect version of BODMAS works for early school years. However when dealing with complex mathematical operations, the actual order should be used.
This shows you are not totally useless. Even a dead grasshopper is food for ants. Jobless fellow.
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 12, 2017
chineduemmao:
i think we've squared up here am only for the younger ones and not me. i can pick and drop anything
Ok. It works well for the younger ones. So the teachers have their reasons. The old ones anyway. These present ones have decided that exam is not a true test of knowledge.
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by teewhizzy4real(m): 5:47pm On Nov 12, 2017
[quote author=Xsem post=62308703][/quote] clap for your self
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Xsem(m): 6:06pm On Nov 12, 2017
teewhizzy4real:
clap for your self
You wicket
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Somebodee(m): 6:20pm On Nov 12, 2017
The answer is 67
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
ismokeweed:

I'm not a math teacher. If I were, I would prefer it to being a dimwit like you. People like you always try to mask ignorance with stupidity. I know your type.
Inspite of your foolishness, you said what I explained. That using that incorrect version of BODMAS works for early school years. However when dealing with complex mathematical operations, the actual order should be used.
This shows you are not totally useless. Even a dead grasshopper is food for ants. Jobless fellow.
finish him!!!

1 Like

Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by chineduemmao: 6:57pm On Nov 12, 2017
ismokeweed:

Ok. It works well for the younger ones. So the teachers have their reasons. The old ones anyway. These present ones have decided that exam is not a true test of knowledge.
cool bro... your moniker though... kip smoking, de tin b lik e de hep brain cordinate wella...
Re: BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents by mrsuccessful(m): 11:26pm On Nov 12, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Know The Difference Between Uk, Britain, England? / Mtn Nigeria Foundation University And Polytechnic Undergraduate Scholarships 201 / Held Result In The Last Waec Gce Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.