Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,005 members, 7,821,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

The Menace Of Gratification In The Nigerian Society - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Menace Of Gratification In The Nigerian Society (437 Views)

"I Foresaw Kidnapping, Herdsmen Menace" – Fayose / EFCC Charges Bala Mohammed, Governor-elect With Accepting Gratification / The Menace Of The Gov. Umar Ganduja Underpass In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Menace Of Gratification In The Nigerian Society by aybabz101: 8:37am On Nov 12, 2017
corruption has been a major problem in Nigeria hindering the socio-economic development of the country. The effects of corruption in Nigeria is vividly written in all sectors of the country. It has marred all the necessary machineries deployed for the development of the nation. Although, many reasons has been viewed as the cause of the gross deterioration of standards in the Nigerian society which of course are all correct; but there is this discrete subset which I believe is fostering corruption in Nigeria today-and that is “gratification”.

Gratification is a reward for a job well done which is given to an individual out of free will. But when one is compelled out of his or her own convenience or just to satisfy the “compulsory societal norm”, then there is a problem.

The saddening results of gratification is expressed more in the public sector than the private sector. The government officials who are paid monthly to carry out their duties are always expecting one form of reward when carrying out their duties. This has even graduated to a compulsory levy (bribe) to the officials in order to do their jobs. Government parastatals such as police, pension, customs and immigration to mention a few are well involved in this.

On the streets of Nigeria today, the products of this culture of gratification can be seen in the “omo onile’s”, “agbero’s” and street thugs who deem the giving of reward as their right. They even go to the extent of obstructing a law abiding individual in the pursuit of his day to day activities and hindering him of erecting his own building. They go about hailing well to do Nigerians and fraudsters hoping for a drop of reward. And if such person refuses, they begin to rain insults on the person and sometimes result to damaging the properties of such individual.

Also in the education sector-especially secondary and tertiary institutions, gratification as become a menace that needs urgent attention. In our universities today, students contribute monies to service lecturers’ birthdays, thanksgiving, ceremonies etc. hoping for a reward in form of “grade leniency”. Lecturers also expects gratifications from the students at the end of each semester- for teaching? I don’t know. In the secondary schools, teachers also expects one form of reward from parents and guardians for taking good care of their wards.

Finally, I am not against gratifications, neither am I encouraging it. One thing I observed in our society is if a reward is given to an employee by two or more persons, the employee tend to view such as a right which in turn do give the employee the temerity to ask for such reward from other customers or in the worst case make it compulsory before he/she performs his/her duty. I believe that gratification giving easily graduates to bribery thereby compounding the misery of corruption in our society.
Re: The Menace Of Gratification In The Nigerian Society by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 12, 2017
It is so bad that even if you want to help fix road or the less privileged, they will demand bribe.
Re: The Menace Of Gratification In The Nigerian Society by aybabz101: 8:54am On Nov 12, 2017
igbodefender:
It is so bad that even if you want to help fix road or the less privileged, they will demand bribe.

during my nysc, we constructed a billboard highlighting the effects of drugabuse in the society. the funny thing is dat one local government official demanded for #5k. b4 d billboard can b erected. we fought our way tru to the chairman who later revealed dat the official jst want to chop our money. dat such community development project do not require any form of payment. this tin is jst tooooo much is our society today

(1) (Reply)

Dino Melaye's New Constituency Office Marked For Demolition / Corruption: Buhari Is Very Clean, I Can Bet My Life – Ex-petroleum Minister. / ‘Abacha Died A Day Before Shutting Punch Newspapers’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.