Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,377 members, 7,954,530 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:25 PM

Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander (1455 Views)

Am I Robbing God If I Refuse To Tithe? / Deuteronomy 14:22-29 The Only Portion That Tells Us "How" To Tithe / Why I Would Forever Continue To Tithe - My Personal Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 11:23am On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

It means Jesus Christ and his disciples also rob God because I never read any where in the scripture where they either collect tithe or paid.

asuustrike2009:

How can God rob himself? Did Jesus change the law in the first place?

akeensbussy

If Jesus is God and wanted Christians to paid tithe to their pastors, don't u think he would have leave by example by collecting tithe while he himself will also pay tithe in order to show how good and important tithe is?
what do u think?....

4 Likes

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:
akeensbussy:

It means Jesus Christ and his disciples also rob God because I never read any where in the scripture where they either collect tithe or paid.

asuustrike2009:

How can God rob himself? Did Jesus change the law in the first place?

akeensbussy

If Jesus is God and wanted Christians to paid tithe to their pastors, don't u think he would have leave by example by collecting tithe while he himself will also pay tithe in order to show how good and important tithe is?
what do u think?....
The pastor are custodian, stewards of tithes and offering. They make use of the tithes for general administration of the church. Jesus is God,he was there from the beginning of creation that's in the book of revelation it state he's the alpha and omega. He was
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by BluntBoy(m): 6:44pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

The pastor are custodian, stewards of tithes and offering. They make use of the tithes for general administration of the church. Jesus is God,he was there from the beginning of creation that's in the book of revelation it state he's the alpha and omega. He was

Pastors are not custodians of tithes. Even the Levites were never chosen as custodians. The tithes belonged to them and it was to feed them not to turn them into billionaires. Pastors are not levites and you cannot use the Bible to justify their collecting of tithes. Even Levites today don't collect tithes because there is no temple. Many of them are scattered all over the world.

5 Likes

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 7:12pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

I believe pastors are also Christian which mean christ-Like that is people who are living Christ standard of life. Why are the pastors now doing the opposite of what Jesus Christ stand for? at least all the disciple lived the Christ-like life and they encourage us to do the same..

Why is it difficult for the pastors to emulate? they prefer to do opposite of what bible said. why?
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 7:47pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

I believe pastors are also Christian which mean christ-Like that is people who are living Christ standard of life. Why are the pastors now doing the opposite of what Jesus Christ stand for? at least all the disciple lived the Christ-like life and they encourage us to do the same..

Why is it difficult for the pastors to emulate? they prefer to do opposite of what bible said. why?

Pastors are doing what the Bible commands. That many are deviating doesn't mean all are bad.Even among the 12 disciples there was a traitor how much more in our presence time. The Bible is there to tell you who are God's servants or not. Same Bible did say many are called but few are chosen
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Pastors are not custodians of tithes. Even the Levites were never chosen as custodians. The tithes belonged to them and it was to feed them not to turn them into billionaires. Pastors are not levites and you cannot use the Bible to justify their collecting of tithes. Even Levites today don't collect tithes because there is no temple. Many of them are scattered all over the world.
If pastors are not Levite's as acclaimed and there's no temple what then is a church? How does the church fund it's expenses?. If your justification for saying there's no levite or temple to support your claim on not paying tithes then we shouldn't pay offerings, give alms to the poor and there shouldn't be a church in the first place. It would be unfair to single out tithe alone on the premise of Mosaic law and forget offering after all the Bible doesn't force us to give offerings, help the needy
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by BluntBoy(m): 8:08pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

If pastors are not Levite's as acclaimed and there's no temple what then is a church? How does the church fund it's expenses?. If your justification for saying there's no levite or temple to support your claim on not paying tithes then we shouldn't pay offerings, give alms to the poor and there shouldn't be a church in the first place. It would be unfair to single out tithe alone on the premise of Mosaic law and forget offering after all the Bible doesn't force us to give offerings, help the needy

What expenses is the Church funding? Was that why God instituted tithe?

And for your information, Church is different from temple. While temple was a building, the Church is an assembly of believers. How did the Church take care of itself in the New Testament. It was by loving itself. People were selling properties to make sure that no one lacked in the Church. Everyone gave to the extent that there was no needy person among them.

Your church will continue to complain of expenses until they cut down on their excesses.

1 Like

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

And for your information, Church is different from temple. While temple was a building, the Church is an assembly of believers. How did the Church take care of itself in the New Testament. It was by loving itself. People were selling properties to make sure that no one lacked in the Church. Everyone gave to the extent that there was no needy person among them.

Your church will continue to complain of expenses until they cut down on their excesses.
Now I see were you're coming from. You don't frown at gathering of Christians but frown at those paying tithes and some pastors misusing it. Now let me ask, are you going to serve God or man(if you're a Christian)?
That many pastors are misbehaving doesn't all are like that. The Bible is there to judge pastors for misusing the duty post to milk members. Their judgement is more terrible that they will seek for mercy but wouldn't found it when they cross over to the other side.
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by BluntBoy(m): 8:37pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Now I see were you're coming from. You don't frown at gathering of Christians but frown at those paying tithes and some pastors misusing it. Now let me ask, are you going to serve God or man(if you're a Christian)?
That many pastors are misbehaving doesn't all are like that. The Bible is there to judge pastors for misusing the duty post to milk members. Their judgement is more terrible that they will seek for mercy but wouldn't found it when they cross over to the other side.

Bro, you are getting it all wrong. Pastors should never even collect money in the first place. When Paul collected money for the Lord's people, it was the donors that still had to approve of the man through whom the gifts would be sent down to those who needed them. When he mentioned catering for those who labored for others in the Church, he was never referring to administrative cost but to the upkeep of the elders and others who may be slaving for the equipping of the others. The Apostles collected simply for the purpose of meeting the needs of those who lacked. Not to build mighty churches buildings. It was the same reason why God instituted tithe. Tithe was a sort of food program for those who lacked or had no inheritances (Levites, widows, orphans, etc). It was not to beautify the temple or pay salaries for the temple workers. It was simply to feed them with food.

This is not a matter of pastors misbehaving. This a matter of money in the body of Christ (the Church).

3 Likes

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 8:46pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Bro, you are getting it all wrong. Pastors should never even collect money in the first place. When Paul collected money for the Lord's people, it was the donors that still had to approve of the man through whom the gifts would be sent down to those who needed them. When he mentioned catering for those who labored for others in the Church, he was never referring to administrative cost but to the upkeep of the elders and others who may be slaving for the equipping of the others. The Apostles collected simply for the purpose of meeting the needs of those who lacked. Not to build mighty churches buildings. It was the same reason why God instituted tithe. Tithe was a sort of food program for those who lacked or had no inheritances (Levites, widows, orphans, etc). It was not to beautify the temple or pay salaries for the temple workers. It was simply to feed them with food.

This is not a matter of pastors misbehaving. This a matter of money in the body of Christ (the Church).
So you're saying Christians shouldn't tithe but can give offerings similar to what the apostles did right?
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Are you ready to sell all your possession like in the days of the apostles?
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Are you ready to sell all your possession like in the days of the apostles?

The church as practice today is not the same as obtained in the bible...it is a different ball game entirely....human flesh has taken over and they are taking advantage of whole scenario.

The church is not the building according to bible but the people and they are to gather in their house braking bread together...not building cathedral and mansions....
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

The church as practice today is not the same as obtained in the bible...it is a different ball game entirely....human flesh has taken over and they are taking advantage of whole scenario.

The church is not the building according to bible but the people and they are to gather in their house braking bread together...not building cathedral and mansions....
I asked a simple question, would you sell all your possession like the apostles did in the Bible? Yes or no.
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Pastors are doing what the Bible commands. That many are deviating doesn't mean all are bad.Even among the 12 disciples there was a traitor how much more in our presence time. The Bible is there to tell you who are God's servants or not. Same Bible did say many are called but few are chosen

I am yet to see a pastor who follow the true step of Jesus Christ and the Disciples in today Nigeria...they prefer to follow the law of Israel other than the foot step of Christ which indicate Christian.

show me the man of God who is genuinely following Christ foot steps and I will show you a lot mis-step.

1 Like

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

I am yet to see a pastor who follow the true step of Jesus Christ and the Disciples in today Nigeria...they prefer to follow the law of Israel other than the foot step of Christ which indicate Christian.

show me the man of God who is genuinely following Christ foot steps and I will show you a lot mis-step.
Are pastors to follow the footsteps of Jesus or what the Bible says? Does the Bible say they must follow the footsteps of Jesus ?
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Emusan(m): 9:20pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

The simple question is, are you ready to sell all your possessions like the days of Apostles?

Let me even add to the question, have you ever sold or ready to sell your possessions like the days of the apostles?

Now you started writing episode.
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 9:49pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Are pastors to follow the footsteps of Jesus or what the Bible says? Does the Bible say they must follow the footsteps of Jesus ?

lol...so what is the meaning of Christian then..
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by petra1(m): 9:50pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

1 Corinthians 9:13-14 (KJV)
13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 9:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
Emusan:

The simple question is, are you ready to sell all your possessions like the days of Apostles?

Let me even add to the question, have you ever sold or ready to sell your possessions like the days of the apostles?

Now you started writing episode.

Well I have sold countless of things just to help others who are in need around me including in the church....it just unfortunate that people like you have accepted the practice men to be the standard instead of following the bible....

that is why u accept anything your pastor says instead of reading your bible..my prayer is that God will open the eyes of your understanding to his word.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by BluntBoy(m): 9:54pm On Nov 13, 2017
petra1:

13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? 14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Live by the gospel not get wealthy by the gospel. There are three basic necessities:

Food, shelter and clothing. That was what the ministers should not be denied of. The ministers of today are wealthy men. They don't need tithes and offerings anymore. They have made themselves stupendously wealthy by the gospel.

1 Like

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2017
petra1:

so pastors are only the one preaching the gospel? what about choirs, deacons, church members etc..they are not preaching the Gospel? they are to fund the gospel. keep deceiving urself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by petra1(m): 10:23pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

so pastors are only the one preaching the gospel? what about choirs, deacons, church members etc..they are not preaching the Gospel? they are to fund the gospel. keep deceiving urself

Anyone who does the work of God on full time bases must be paid . Either it’s choir or instrumentalist , gateman , etc .

Most pastors are volunteers in denominations . But the one that is full time gets support from the ministry
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by petra1(m): 10:33pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Live by the gospel not get wealthy by the gospel. There are three basic necessities:

Food, shelter and clothing. That was what the ministers should not be denied of.

You’re correct

The ministers of today are wealthy men. They don't need tithes and offerings anymore. They have made themselves stupendously wealthy by the gospel.

Firstly is it every minister that is wealty? The one that you call wealthy have you found out the source . Church money is not Pastors money .

Bishop Oyedepo does not collect money from church . His plane was not bought offering . A pastor who give gets . A pastor who bless people get Blessed . I sent a Car gift twice to a pastor who helped me spiritually in the 90s . He’s a genuine man of God who sacrificed for me . He didn’t see it coming . He didn’t have a car . I traced his house and sent the car to him 2 times now. You heard how some members bought pastor Adeboye a jet . You heard how a member in winners built a church with billions as a gift to bishop oyedepo last week .

If a pastor make impact in lives of people . He can’t be forgotten . So if you see a pastor riding a car . Don’t think “here’s goes the offering
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by BluntBoy(m): 10:38pm On Nov 13, 2017
petra1:

You’re correct

Firstly is it every minister that is wealty? The one that you call wealthy have you found out the source . Church money is not Pastors money .

Bishop Oyedepo does not collect money from church . His plane was not bought offering . A pastor who give gets . A pastor who bless people get Blessed . I sent a Car gift twice to a pastor who helped me spiritually in the 90s . He’s a genuine man of God who sacrificed for me . He didn’t see it coming . He didn’t have a car . I traced his house and sent the car to him 2 times now. You heard how some members bought pastor Adeboye a jet . You heard how a member in winners built a church with billions as a gift to bishop oyedepo last week .

If a pastor make impact in lives of people . He can’t be forgotten . So if you see a pastor riding a car . Don’t think “here’s goes the offering

Then how come millions are still poor. What stops your pastors from rejecting the gifts and telling the givers to give it to the poor instead? The pastors are just greedy, selfish and materialistic. A minister should never like money or the acquisition of properties. Money should mean nothing to a true man of God. These men are businessmen. They are no different from businessmen like Dangote.

3 Likes

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by petra1(m): 10:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Then how come millions are still poor. What stops your pastors from rejecting the gifts and telling the givers to give it to the poor instead? The pastors are just greedy, selfish and materialistic. A minister should never like money or the acquisition of properties. Money should mean nothing to a true man of God. These men are businessmen. They are no different from businessmen like Dangote.

Serve For yourself . Leave the other man to himself
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by akeensbussy(m): 10:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
petra1:

Anyone who does the work of God on full time bases must be paid . Either it’s choir or instrumentalist , gateman , etc .

Most pastors are volunteers in denominations . But the one that is full time gets support from the ministry

So there is full time and half time in the work of God..to tell someone God loves and want you to repent of your sin is now a full time job abi.

maybe for those that are making merchandise of it.

1 Like

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by petra1(m): 10:46pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

So there is full time and half time in the work of God..to tell someone God loves and want you to repent of your sin is now a full time job abi.

maybe for those that are making merchandise of it.

Pastoring is sacrifice Most pastors are volunteers and they have their jobs or businesses . I’m sure you know some
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by plainbibletruth: 10:53pm On Nov 13, 2017
petra1:

You’re correct

Petra1, How did Jesus's LIFESTYLE compare to that of his disciples? How did the Apostle's lifestyles compare to that of their followers? Do we see the WIDE DISPARITY we see today between many of today's church leaders and followers? If a Pastor is given a billion by members and within his congregation there are those of low means does it make sense for him to live in opulence and those other ones in squalor? Would Jesus or the Apostles have chosen to live on affluence when some in their congregation live from hand to mouth?
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 13, 2017
akeensbussy:

lol...so what is the meaning of Christian then..
Are you a Christian, pagan ,Muslim or atheist? That would lead to the answer to your question
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

The Bible made it clear in John 12:8 that there will always be poor among us. Even if bishop oyedepo sells his wealth to help the poor and needy,there will still be poverty. The poor had always being there from beginning
Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by BluntBoy(m): 11:32pm On Nov 13, 2017
asuustrike2009:

The Bible made it clear in John 12:8 that there will always be poor among us. Even if bishop oyedepo sells his wealth to help the poor and needy,there will still be poverty. The poor had always being there from beginning

Read my post again. If these people are not hoarding up treasures and are giving mightily, poverty rate will reduce.

And, don't take Jesus's word out of its original context. Jesus meant that He would not always be around as He would be taken away from them but that they would still have the poor around them. It was also a call to always remember the poor.

1 Like

Re: Response To Tithe Issue By A Nairalander by Nobody: 11:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
BluntBoy:

Read my post again. If these people are not hoarding up treasures and are giving mightily, poverty rate will reduce.

And, don't take Jesus's word out of its original context. Jesus meant that He would not always be around as He would be taken away from them but that they would still have the poor around them. It was also a call to always remember the poor.
I quoted exactly as it's. When Jesus left had poverty not being in existence till date? The most developed countries in the world still have the poor among them talk less of Nigeria. Before oyedepo and like came there had being poor persons and it was so high that those days when a preacher preach, he's called a church rat how much members of the church. Poverty will never reduce if the mindset doesn't change. You teach a man how to catch fish not continue feeding him with fishes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome And Daughter 'sharon' Slays In India Attire (photo) / Adeboye Son, Leke Goes Bald, Urges Youths To Do The Same In Honour Of Late Dare / What Is The Story Behind Your Nairaland Moniker?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.