Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,024 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 (3074 Views)

Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? / Tecno Phantom 8 Full Specifications And Price / Pictures From The Launch Of The New Phantom 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Henryneo(m): 8:52am On Nov 14, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vps20WZfKM

The Tecno Phantom 8 is sort of like a beast, but a beast restricted from achieving its full potential. Sporting a beautiful design made from a combination of metal at the back and glass at the front, Tecno checked almost all the design boxes with the exception of two areas I'm currently displeased with. These are the capacitive buttons, they're well placed but not backlit and it can get confusing trying to find them at night. I suppose after a couple of weeks of use you should get used to it and the huge bezelz on the top and bottom of the front of the device. These are my gripes with design aesthetics. outside that, nothing else.

This phone packs some pretty impressive specs which i'll list below:

5.7Inch Full HD Display
6GB RAM
64GB Internal Storage
Dual 12 + 13MP rear camera setup
20MP Selfie Camera
Very fast fingerprint scanner at the back
MediaTek Helio P25 Octa-Core Chipset
Dual Sim or One sim and Expandable storage up to 1TB
Tritone LED flash at the back and LED flash in the front

That's it with the specs let's move on. In my usual format i'll be talking about the things you use/interact with on a daily. Battery, Display, Audio, Speed, Software

DISPLAY
The Tecno Phantom 8 comes with a 5.7 inch 1080p Full HD display. This display is large and is quite a joy to use. Watching videos was enjoyable and bright with really clear pictures.

BATTERY
The Tecno Phantom 8 comes with a 3500mAh battery. Considering the display resolution of this device, this battery should be more than capable to take you through a whole day of moderate to heavy use with some battery to spare.

In my tests, I achieved 0 - 50% in 1hour. I was able to charge this battery from 0 - 100% in a total of 2hours and 22 minutes. In my day to day use of the device i was abloe to achieve a total screen time of 5+ hours.

GAMING
Graphic heavy games are more than likely not to play smoothly on the Tecno Phantom 8, but more casual based games will play smoothly on the device.

PRICING
This is one of the biggest complaints from the public on this device. A lot of people compare this device to the A series in Samsung's line of devices. And most say they'd rather go for a Samsung. This device goes for N128,000 which is $360.

Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Realboygenius(m): 5:11am On Nov 21, 2017
I love the phone
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by samsam2019: 8:56am On Nov 21, 2017
Why would anybody buy a phone for huge bucks that it's capacitative button doesn't light up.

You say people will get used to it? Please! I used the Infinix S2 for 2 months and because it doesn't light up I had problem using it

Waste of time and money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Behankey(m): 7:04am On Nov 23, 2017
samsam2019:
Why would anybody buy a phone for huge bucks that it's capacitative button doesn't light up.

You say people will get used to it? Please! I used the Infinix S2 for 2 months and because it doesn't light up I had problem using it

Waste of time and money
because it doesn't fit your preference doesn't mean it's a waste of money. It is a nice phone regardless.
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by samsam2019: 8:42am On Nov 23, 2017
Behankey:
because it doesn't fit your preference doesn't mean it's a waste of money. It is a nice phone regardless.
still a sh1t phone.

That some people are dumb enough to spend that much on a Tecno does not make it a good phone still

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Behankey(m): 9:22pm On Nov 23, 2017
samsam2019:
still a sh1t phone.

That some people are dumb enough to spend that much on a Tecno does not make it a good phone still
What if That's what they can afford? And that doesn't make it a dumb phone Still
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by samsam2019: 10:05pm On Nov 23, 2017
Behankey:
What if That's what they can afford? And that doesn't make it a dumb phone Still
if you can afford the phone then there are better alternatives out there.
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by sureinfo: 9:43am On Nov 24, 2017
samsam2019:
Lyk which ones? Bros this phantom is the real deal
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Abiodunspectre(m): 10:45pm On Nov 25, 2017
I enjoy everything about this device.
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by tafat: 5:17am On Nov 26, 2017
Abiodunspectre:
Me too, it's soooooo dope
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by datyorubaboy: 7:06pm On Nov 27, 2017
Its so enjoyable
Abiodunspectre:
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by omoalajah(m): 7:40pm On Nov 27, 2017
great flagship
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by missslimzy(f): 8:09pm On Nov 27, 2017
This phone is so powerful and wonderful
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by gogeekish(m): 7:41am On Nov 28, 2017
It might be a nice phone but can't go for it. With that price, I can go for something better. I simply don't like mediatek because of their closed source policy unlike snapdragon.

Tecno and other devices using mediatek must wait for Mediatek Inc to release update kernel to their OEMs before OEM can build updates to us. That's the same reason why you can't get custom rom on these devices.

But for snapdragon, it is an open source project which enables anyone including OEM to build update after Google releases it. Same reason why many of Samsung old phones still receive updates via custom rom.

I would rather go for One Plus, Xiaomi, Huawei (excluding their mtk variant). I don't like Sony, LG, and Samsung.

My personal choice. Not trying to discourage or bring up controversy.

Don't forget to visit www.gogeekish.com for interesting tech news, support and network Unlock service.

Peace!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by SleekMadam: 11:26am On Nov 28, 2017
gogeekish:
It might be a nice phone but can't go for it. With that price, I can go for something better. I simply don't like mediatek because of their closed source policy unlike snapdragon.

Tecno and other devices using mediatek must wait for Mediatek Inc to release update kernel to their OEMs before OEM can build updates to us. That's the same reason why you can't get custom rom on these devices.

But for snapdragon, it is an open source project which enables anyone including OEM to build update after Google releases it. Same reason why many of Samsung old phones still receive updates via custom rom.

I would rather go for One Plus, Xiaomi, Huawei (excluding their mtk variant). I don't like Sony, LG, and Samsung.

My personal choice. Not trying to discourage or bring up controversy.

Don't forget to visit www.gogeekish.com for interesting tech news, support and network Unlock service.

Peace!

It is okay, we all have our preferences. Sone of us line tecno and infinix
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Behankey(m): 11:45am On Nov 28, 2017
samsam2019:
better alternatives with a higher price? Have u seen a Samsung budget phone? Still costs like a normal Tecno or infinix phone yunno
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by FellaL: 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2017
missslimzy:

The ram keeps bursting my brain.
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Abiodunspectre(m): 5:36pm On Dec 26, 2017
Best camera phone this year.
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by datyorubaboy: 11:11pm On Dec 29, 2017
Very powerful device
missslimzy:
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Behankey(m): 6:39pm On Dec 30, 2017
Abiodunspectre:
Surely one of the best. But the best? Well....
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by Kogbaski: 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2018
The phone is awesome. It's just basic truth
Re: The Truth About The Tecno Phantom 8 by fibonacci2526: 10:23pm On Jan 02, 2018
Abiodunspectre:

LMAO, you mean best camera phone amongst the major OEMs in Nigeria right? Surely you don't mean all over the world eh?

(1) (Reply)

Stop! Before You Buy That Infinix Or Tecno Smartphone, Read This. / Here Is The Price Of The Hot S3X / The Infinix Note 7 Camera Brings Out The Beauty Of The Sky.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.