Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Please Help My Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help My Career (1508 Views)

Please HELP, My Boss Slashed My Salary Unjustly / How To Further My Career In Canada With Nigeria HND / Johnspeak Uwangue: How I Broke The Chain Of Stagnation In My Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help My Career by cyberblood: 12:16pm On Nov 14, 2017
In few months, I'd be completing my degree program. I have realized in my 2nd year that cv does not guarantee job,and I have since cleared the mindset of Cv = job orientation

This is my story

I have studied a course out of frustration (don't blame me, I was in the haste to gain admission at all cost)

To cut my story short, I have loved to study computer science, as a young kid, I developed the interest but no one to keep the dream alive. After my Ss1 first term exams, I passed most arts subject ( Automatically, I became an arts student)
2 years after my SSCE, I got admission to study philosophy. Philosophy is an interesting course. No joke, philosophy has had impacts in my life. But I have always wanted to study Computer science

I have to include this

I'm currently building a 3 bedroom apartment in my home town. I sponsor myself and my younger ones in school. I'm an internet marketer (started in my 200 level) and I make over $1500 monthly.

This is where I need your advice

I always have a feeling that something great is missing in my life. I have over a million naira with me and I'm planning to sell my uncompleted house to travel to the USA to further my dream (to study computer science). I have always loved to study computer science in the USA. I have researched a list of affordable universities .

I don't know anyone in the state. Please advise me on the necessary steps to take.

I'm 24 years old
Re: Please Help My Career by businessng01: 9:54am On Nov 15, 2017
Let's talk on WhatsApp 08143386119
Re: Please Help My Career by AJVC(f): 1:04pm On Nov 17, 2017
cyberblood:
In few months, I'd be completing my degree program. I have realized in my 2nd year that cv does not guarantee job,and I have since cleared the mindset of Cv = job orientation

This is my story

I have studied a course out of frustration (don't blame me, I was in the haste to gain admission at all cost)

To cut my story short, I have loved to study computer science, as a young kid, I developed the interest but no one to keep the dream alive. After my Ss1 first term exams, I passed most arts subject ( Automatically, I became an arts student)
2 years after my SSCE, I got admission to study philosophy. Philosophy is an interesting course. No joke, philosophy has had impacts in my life. But I have always wanted to study Computer science

I have to include this

I'm currently building a 3 bedroom apartment in my home town. I sponsor myself and my younger ones in school. I'm an internet marketer (started in my 200 level) and I make over $1500 monthly.

This is where I need your advice

I always have a feeling that something great is missing in my life. I have over a million naira with me and I'm planning to sell my uncompleted house to travel to the USA to further my dream (to study computer science). I have always loved to study computer science in the USA. I have researched a list of affordable universities .

I don't know anyone in the state. Please advise me on the necessary steps to take.

I'm 24 years old

If you have an interest in acquiring an HSE or oil and gas professional training to boost your career then call me on 07038740041 let me direct you on what to do.
Re: Please Help My Career by dahmie2013: 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2017
I understd u, but I think u shudnt sell ur house. It's quiet risky and I think u can do a masters instead of doing a degree all over. If u're 4rm a wealthy background, i'll encourage u, but ur siblings are dependent on u, u also have 2 consider dem in ur plans.
All d best!
Re: Please Help My Career by cyberblood: 4:00pm On Nov 17, 2017
dahmie2013:
I understd u, but I think u shudnt sell ur house. It's quiet risky and I think u can do a masters instead of doing a degree all over. If u're 4rm a wealthy background, i'll encourage u, but ur siblings are dependent on u, u also have 2 consider dem in ur plans.
All d best!

Thanks for your input. I'm not from a wealthy family but I can sponsor myself. Can a B. a in philosophy run an msc in computer science?
Re: Please Help My Career by dahmie2013: 4:07pm On Nov 17, 2017
cyberblood:

Thanks for your input. I'm not from a wealthy family but I can sponsor myself. Can a B. a in philosophy run an msc in computer science?
Not sure, but u can find out.
Re: Please Help My Career by ERCROSS(m): 4:22pm On Nov 17, 2017
I can relate with what you are feeling. A larger part of you wants to study abroad but that smaller part of you is still in doubts if that's the best thing to do. You fear people may blame you if you sell your house to pursue education, So you came to nairaland to seek for validation.
I use to feel that way too. But it all changed when i got to realize that only me can prevent me from being who i wanted to be. I believe any money i spent on educating myself is never a waste. my advice to you is to follow your dreams which is to study abroad. BUT make sure your student visa is not denied. secondly do not think your obodo oyinbo b.sc is a ticket to a fat salary job, program your mindset that you may not be able to secure a good job even after your study ( so prepare your mind you are going back into hustling when you come back).
Another thing is that you need to believe in your dreams and in yourself. Do i need to remind you that you are setting yourself up for failure the moment you start allowing your fear of criticism outgrow your desire for success. if not you wont come here to seek validation from people who will only end up confusing you
Re: Please Help My Career by ERCROSS(m): 4:25pm On Nov 17, 2017
cyberblood:

of course, you cant and i mean you cant
Re: Please Help My Career by Blessedgurl(f): 6:32pm On Nov 17, 2017
Going by the requirements in most of the computer science related jobs, having a knowledge in some aspects of computer science like web development, software development, networking and all others can give one an edge even if the person is not a computer science graduate.

The world is becoming more digital so everyone has to embrace the change no matter the course one read in school.

*An Option*

You can enroll for any computer course with a good computer institute in Nigeria depending on which area you want to focus on and be ready to learn.

Once you have gotten the basics and more in Nigeria. Then, proceed to apply for online courses/professional certifications with top notch institutes in US or anywhere else.

*Another Option*

Learn an ICT skill in Nigeria before leaving for the US so you can use it to sustain yourself when you're there pursuing your dream. That way you can sustain yourself and your siblings with it.

But selling the house doesn't look good now.
Re: Please Help My Career by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 18, 2017
oga here wants to make the biggest mistake of his life.
mynd44 lalasticlala help him not to
Re: Please Help My Career by hakymworld1(m): 12:19pm On Nov 18, 2017
My case kinda looks similar to urs. Computer science was my passion 4rm day one. I settled down to study quantity surveying due to lack of admission, now in hnd2. I never let go of that passion, today all on my own i am a renaissance man with computer and internet as a tool, a skill that will cost most people a ludicrous amount of money was what my passion gave to me for free. Brother all on your own you can be a dope computer scientist, never let the passion die. What u wanna go ovesea for might even be something you can achieve all on your own. Its feel so gud when you make it happen all by yourself.
Re: Please Help My Career by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 18, 2017
I don't have much to contribute here as regards to what you have tabled before NLers. My advice, Please don't sell the house.

Keep doing whatever they thing that had fetched you the money you used to build your house. Then go for your MSc in Computer Science.

May God bless your decision.
Re: Please Help My Career by cyberblood: 6:41am On Dec 25, 2017
Thanks
Re: Please Help My Career by Accscholar: 10:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
I think that computer science is a course you do not necessarily need to study in a classroom setting. You either want to learn to code or get a killer network administration skills. In both cases, you can always learn the content online, and then hone your skills in practice.

My advice: If your eventual goal is to work for Google, Facebook, then do a Master's, in which case you have to be looking at the Stanfords, Yales of this world.

If you just want to learn to code, then just use online resources - there are tons of them; then you can develop an app by your own self or intern with the Andelas et al.

Best.
Re: Please Help My Career by cyberblood: 3:46pm On Jan 06, 2018
Accscholar:
I think that computer science is a course you do not necessarily need to study in a classroom setting. You either want to learn to code or get a killer network administration skills. In both cases, you can always learn the content online, and then hone your skills in practice.

My advice: If your eventual goal is to work for Google, Facebook, then do a Master's, in which case you have to be looking at the Stanfords, Yales of this world.

If you just want to learn to code, then just use online resources - there are tons of them; then you can develop an app by your own self or intern with the Andelas et al.

Best.

Thanks bro. I'm done with school and now learning digital marketing via Lynda and YouTube

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Bsc Dialysis Technology Or Msc Public Health / How Can I Get Placement To Do Industrial Training?pls Help / Nigerian Navy Or Merchant Navy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.