Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize (12476 Views)

FG Approves Cultivation Of Genetically Modified Maize / Phillippines Approves Commercial Production Of Genetically-modified Rice / Genetically Modified Pod-Borer Resistant Cowpea Approved In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by BruncleZuma: 11:49am On Nov 15, 2017
correctguy101:

Uncle Zuma, it's GM maize....

Genetically modified to fit certain conditions...
Some are insect resistant or repellant,...
Some are drought resistant,....
And many more....

All is done to combat the shortage of food crops seemingly caused by it's use in several industries and maybe deteriorating climate.

But my fear is, only if we have the instrument in Africa to cross check and confirm if any other funny foreign substance has been added.
I don't trust these world aid ppl one bit.
They control population whichever way they can and now that AI are becoming more advanced, there's a suspicion I have and I believe we'll all sooner or later be replaced but we'll live longer.

A synthetic world is on its way....

I know what GM is but I'm just shocked we'd be importing maize GM or not.

Thanks for the clarification wink
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 11:53am On Nov 15, 2017
correctguy101:

And many more....

All is done to combat the shortage of food crops seemingly caused by it's use in several industries and maybe deteriorating climate.

But my fear is, only if we have the instrument in Africa to cross check and confirm if any other funny foreign substance has been added.
They control population whichever way they can and now that AI are becoming more advanced, there's a suspicion I have and I believe we'll all sooner or later be replaced but we'll live longer.

exactly my point, but the main issue is playing on the ignorance of consumers. in US GMO'S are labeled at stores so that you know what you're buying. 8 enhanced oranges cost around a dollar fifty whilst organic hovers around 40. knowledge is power, ignorance is killing Africans
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 11:54am On Nov 15, 2017
BruncleZuma:

I know what GM is but I'm just shocked we'd be importing maize GM or not.
Thanks for the clarification wink
you'll be shocked to learn that we also import beans grin
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by BruncleZuma: 11:56am On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

As a board certified beans consumer...I gree grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by OlujobaSamuel: 11:57am On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

lol, see you, i know of tomato sef, although it was for testing in different geographical location of nigeria, but we know sey dem go still bring am in bulk if successful
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 15, 2017
How did it get into the country in the first place?
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

lol, see you, i know of tomato sef, although it was for testing in different geographical location of nigeria, but we know sey dem go still bring am in bulk if successful

this is so annoying, we are capable of doing all this here. our best brains are leaving to go abroad, only 2 universities in Nigeria offer genetics a course which is the future just like ICT
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by correctguy101(m): 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

exactly my point, but the main issue is playing on the ignorance of consumers. in US GMO'S are labeled at stores so that you know what you're buying. 8 enhanced oranges cost around a dollar fifty whilst organic hovers around 40. knowledge is power, ignorance is killing Africans

My brother you know my pain?

All the funds that could have been used to encourage study in fields that matter are being used to buy expensive nothings...

Do we even have a competent Bio-engineer in Africa or even a Bio-research institute?

Not only that o, we now have young Africans who don't care to know or understand really how things work....

At the moment, I'm engrossed in a personal research that intrigues me but genetic manipulation is the main thing now....

I just tire for my people boss
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 12:15pm On Nov 15, 2017
correctguy101:

My brother you know my pain?

All the funds that could have been used to encourage study in fields that matter are being used to buy expensive nothings...

Do we even have a competent Bio-engineer in Africa or even a Bio-research institute?

Not only that o, we now have young Africans who don't care to know or understand really how things work....

At the moment, I'm engrossed in a personal research that intrigues me but genetic manipulation is the main thing now....

I just tire for my people boss

there's this root crops research institute in umudike, at least they have light 24/7. there are good African bio-engineers but where is money for research ... genetic manipulation is great but the average Nigerian would be as stubborn as a mule to change his mindset that GMO's don't kill
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by 989900: 12:19pm On Nov 15, 2017
No to GMOs!!!
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

there are legal genetically modified crops. Most of the cow-pea planted these days are modified, modified crops are a common sight now, take for instance the large apples and berries you see at all the large foreign stores. those who are informed know they are modified, my only fear is that they might be using Nigeria as testing ground for gmo's
cc: Gerrard59
we have always been like lab rats ,we are the world's dump site,yet our borders are so porus with corrupt custom officers that anything goes through
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by correctguy101(m): 12:51pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

there's this root crops research institute in umudike, at least they have light 24/7. there are good African bio-engineers but where is money for research ... genetic manipulation is great but the average Nigerian would be as stubborn as a mule to change his mindset that GMO's don't kill

Most have been eating it without knowing... That's how funny it is for the moment they hear ... grin serious gobe....

Money for research is still problem and we have ministry for science and technology....

No one cares about research in Africa. All we do is, leave it to the Americans and Europeans and maybe Chinese...

We will surely survive bro, anyhow
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
Our Wisdom in the end is simply the manifestation of the egos of Illiterate and incompetent leaders in the Federal Character pot

1: It will cost you Tax-payers money to resend them - Why not Burn them
2: The present crop of tomatoes, Corn, Potatoes, Oranges and Mangoes where genetically modified when the Europeans cross-bred them with our local crops.. we have not died on an epidemic level.. we are still hungry.. why not give it out for free.. more people die from Corruption than Genetically modified crops.. haba!
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by omolorlarh: 1:34pm On Nov 15, 2017
correctguy101:

And many more....

You are right
It takes over 5 years for a GM crop tested OK by the researchers to be approved. I'm sure it edible for human consumption except if we Africans tamper with it before it gets here.
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

there are legal genetically modified crops. Most of the cow-pea planted these days are modified, modified crops are a common sight now, take for instance the large apples and berries you see at all the large foreign stores. those who are informed know they are modified, my only fear is that they might be using Nigeria as testing ground for gmo's
cc: Gerrard59

That's why i've been staying away from so many stuffs like the apples we see commonly on the streets. The long term effects of these foods are been tested on/with us. Legally or illegally GMO is GMO
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by omolorlarh: 1:46pm On Nov 15, 2017
989900:
No to GMOs!!!
There is nothing wrong with GMO GM crops are better than the use of chemicals.
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by AFONJAPIG(m): 1:48pm On Nov 15, 2017
send it to Almajiri in northern IDP camp they need it, what are they alive for they are there for laboratory experimental projects like this
grin
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 1:52pm On Nov 15, 2017
Jupxter:

That's why i've been staying away from so many stuffs like the apples we see commonly on the streets. The long term effects of these foods are been tested on/with us. Legally or illegally GMO is GMO

to the best of my knowledge 90% of Apples are imported, heard some are grown in jos. human trials as per fda directions are super costly and with GMO participants would be harder to come by, solution.. move to less strict countries, manufacture and ship them off to third world counties. if we are going to embrace GMO as a nation we need to manufacture ourselves. biotech companies are growing at a fast rate posing a threat to chemical based pharmaceutical companies. the question is where is the line drawn between profiteering and ethics?
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by omolorlarh: 1:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
Jupxter:

Lol....Eat your apple joor.
This topic just increased my interest for biotechnology.
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 1:57pm On Nov 15, 2017
omolorlarh:

There is nothing wrong with GMO
GM crops are better than the use of chemicals.

GMOS degrade, do chemicals?? ... Nigerians are super illiterates. if they know the amount of preservatives they intake per day, why not switch or enhance one or two genes and make the product last longer ? keep spraying insecticide on your crops when there are varieties that are naturally resistant

GOD why am I a Nigerian
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by OlujobaSamuel: 2:02pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

this is so annoying, we are capable of doing all this here. our best brains are leaving to go abroad, only 2 universities in Nigeria offer genetics a course which is the future just like ICT
Our institutions and research centres need to do more, you know the market is global in nature so we have a universal pricing, however through GM, farmers of some nations are having higher yield compared to nations not adopting GM on the same portion of landmass.
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by 989900: 2:03pm On Nov 15, 2017
omolorlarh:

There is nothing wrong with GMO
GM crops are better than the use of chemicals.

OK, but try find out why Russia, Switzerland, France, China and some other countries banned them.
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by correctguy101(m): 2:04pm On Nov 15, 2017
omolorlarh:

You are right
It takes over 5 years for a GM crop tested OK by the researchers to be approved. I'm sure it edible for human consumption except if we Africans tamper with it before it gets here.

What do you mean by "if we Africans tamper it"

I don't think we have the facilities to mess around with genetic make-up of anything....

Who'll sponsor it?

The aiding companies (I see them as company men) are the very ones who would mess with it if they want to.

Think of it this way, why would any African want to even mess with the food crops coming into Africa (dats if we have the facilities and capacity for such a task)

Remember Ebola fever? I believe you know it's a Gene attacking disease? It's a unique fever that breaks your genetic make-up in less than 30days.
No research was done here to tackle it but we had to wait for the European and American overlords. why?

Same answer, no facilities and maybe no capacity or capable hands or heads to tackle it.

My dear Africa has got their priorities wrong my sister. Beautiful nothing is what my people are after and they'll do even the most degrading of acts to get the beautiful nothing. No selflessness, no drive to better the land or create a ground for such.

I believe someone I know here promises to do his best to bring thinkers together and expend his own wealth in taking care of all of it all. I pray it all comes out good cos if you focus on the way Africa is being runned, the management of our dear Africa is just not for anything...
I don wail my heart, it's left for me to do my part too.
And I'll make it known on success.... wink
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 2:08pm On Nov 15, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

Our institutions and research centres need to do more, you know the market is global in nature so we have a universal pricing, however through GM, farmers of some nations are having higher yield compared to nations not adopting GM on the same portion of landmass.

Monsanto comes to mind. GMO market share is increasing, is it bad ? is it good? .. we need labs and technicians. our ministry of science and tech is falling us
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by OlujobaSamuel: 2:14pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

GMOS degrade, do chemicals?? ... Nigerians are super illiterates. if they know the amount of preservatives they intake per day, why not switch or enhance one or two genes and make the product last longer ? keep spraying insecticide on your crops when there are varieties that are naturally resistant

GOD why am I a Nigerian
lol, lets just try our best and hope our rulers(no leaders yet) will use their head someday.
My discipline in sch was Banking & Finance, I only know of animal and crop farming today, sometimes I do ask myself, why oppose GM and support using DD Force on plants, why do we allow Apples that we cant pick the seeds for planting to saturate our market. With my few years in farming, I can boldly say we are still far behind even other african nations.
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 15, 2017
omolorlarh:

Lol....Eat your apple joor.
This topic just increased my interest for biotechnology.

Biotech is my field na tongue
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
tzoracle:

Monsanto comes to mind. GMO market share is increasing, is it bad ? is it good? .. we need labs and technicians. our ministry of science and tech is falling us

We need to be careful of the foods we consume. I went to my regular cafeteria one day, they served beans, Omo, just one look at it, i stood up, paid the fee and left. From beans, to mangoes, to citruses, tomatoes, we're been flooded. It's not just about having sound professionals in the ministries.How about being productive? We have millions of arable lands, who stopped us from farming them? We deserve it. We've failed God. Why should Africa be fed by Europe? We've all failed God.We've failed !
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by tzoracle: 2:27pm On Nov 15, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

lol, lets just try our best and hope our rulers(no leaders yet) will use their head someday.
My discipline in sch was Banking & Finance, I only know of animal and crop farming today, sometimes I do ask myself, why oppose GM and support using DD Force on plants, why do we allow Apples that we cant pick the seeds for planting to saturate our market. With my few years in farming, I can boldly say we are still far behind even other african nations.

I'm a student geneticist, but practicing in Nigeria would be career suicide. all you'd get to go is modify beans and maize
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by omolorlarh: 2:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
correctguy101:

I don wail my heart, it's left for me to do my part too. And I'll make it known on success.... wink
Lol at you don wail your heart
Re: Nigeria To Send Back Illegally Imported Genetically Modified Maize by omolorlarh: 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2017
Jupxter:

Biotech is my field na tongue
For real?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

All Farmers Association Of Nigeria (AFAN) Loan Approval SMS, Real Or Genuine? / Pig Farming Equipment / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.