Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,071 members, 7,835,610 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? (3268 Views)

Can You Send Your Child To This School ? (Photo) / Chinese Company Renovates Public School Building In Lagos (Photos) / Before You Send Your Daughter To A University In Ghana, Please Read This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by samyyoung1(m): 2:26pm On Jun 22, 2007
Y not n if not
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by tochi(f): 6:24pm On Jun 25, 2007
Of course I can send my child to a public school!!! Private schools is more a thing of social class than it is of better education! I went to a public secondary school due to financial reasons but it was one of the best experiences ever!!! If your child is bad, no matter where you put them, their bad characteristics will shine, especially when you put them in private schools where they are over pampered and given a pat on their back by teachers just because its their school fees that feeds that teacher's family!!!!

In my friends private secondary school, flogging is not allowed!!! I think thats stupid! Yes, your parents should discipline you at home but I also believe that discipline should NOT end at home!! I went to my  little private school, ALWAYS came in first, ran for my house during interhouse sports, swept class after school and every other thing you can think of!!! Yes, it had its own bad aspects like lack of fans and seats but at the end of the day, I got what i went to school to get, AN EDUCATION!!

As for big baby who says "taouts" are raised in public schools, if this is the case, I am one hell of a "taout "then, with my associates, bachelors and almost Masters under my belt!!!!
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by tochi(f): 6:25pm On Jun 25, 2007
Ok I meant to say I went to my little PUBLIC school, sorry about that!
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by Ollie39: 10:13am On Jun 26, 2007
ladykay:

Ollie, I think u can get value for your money and have lots of change left if u patronise another school.  There are so many good schools run by professionals where u wont pay half as much.  i think u can make a change - even if u're here temporarily, and I don't think u should worry about them being disadvantaged, the curricula is not inferior.

Thanks for that. I am seriously considering a move as I can't see why I should continue paying for poor service.
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by Judith07: 12:33pm On Jun 26, 2007
i doubt if i will be able to send my kids to a public school but then again if one was to decide which private school to enrol them,the prices of most if not all are unrealistic.left to me instead of paying 90k for KG,i will teach my kids at home myself.one even wonders what they are teaching a child of 3 besides abc and 123 that warrants such exorbitant fees.
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by ilabor: 2:47pm On Jun 26, 2007
so as to have him mentality crippled?! grin
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by ladykay(f): 8:10pm On Jun 28, 2007
Ollie39:

Thanks for that. I am seriously considering a move as I can't see why I should continue paying for poor service.

Ollie, I could furnish you with a list of good schools if you give me your preferred location and the ages of ur kids.
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by babadee(m): 12:45am On Jun 29, 2007
KC,QC,GREGS,ISL,ISI, THE ORIGINAL 5 MODEL COLLEGES!
I believe these schools are out o the range of public schools we are discussing ey?
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by chiogo(f): 2:45am On Jun 30, 2007
@topic No
Even though the public schools here in the US are not as bad as those in naija. Here, there are qualified teachers and equipments but the kid wld still be constantly distracted by his/her peers. Too much violence with kids, profanity. That's where they learn all those, how to curse and stuff. I am guilty of that too smtimes and I don't blame those kids though, esp. black kids. It's how they're raised.But i still believe u can only find good education for ur kid in a private school.They learn better and the teachers take more actions and the students are more cautious of their actions because they know they're payin' to be there. there are lots of smart kids who go to public schools, i don't doubt that but there's so many distractions. I'll def. send my kids to private schools.
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by nguage(m): 2:55am On Jun 30, 2007
are u planning to have a child now
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by chiegemba(f): 2:56am On Jun 30, 2007
@topic; undecided yet! but who knows things might improve when i decide 2 settle down wink
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by olofinjeje: 11:07am On Jul 01, 2007
I believe a parent decides on which school to send their children based on 2 major factors -financial ability and convenience.
Ollie, if you had done your research well and not been swayed by the name of the school you would realise that the Lagos/Ikoyi prep is filled with students of parents that love the hype that their children are educated there and by the expatriate community,where the parents educational level is not exactly all that!!!!! More so they are paying or not paying fees with their allowances not Salary. There are very good schools in Ikoyi/Victoria Island.

Can I send my children to public school? NO.
The standard that was enjoyed decades ago are no longer the parameters used. Teachers are underqualified-inadequately paid and overwhelmed by the sheer numbers in the class.
The morality or lack of of us parents is clearly highlighted where you see Teachers showing obvious favouritism to certain pupils because gifts changed hands.without a doubt Private schools have their own wahala but you can pick and choose and at the end of the day your feet can carry you your child and your money to a school which is acceptable.
Remember I stated at the beginning of my topic that 2 factors determine one's choice-FINANCIAL ABILITY and CONVENIENCE.
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by dinnerm(f): 10:28pm On Jul 01, 2007
if it were the way public school were then,i would have said yes,but i don't think i can now cos public schools are terrible now unlike before.afterall,most of our parents and even some of us went to public schools,the standard in public schools have dropped.
Re: Can You Send Your Child To A Public School? by spoilt(f): 3:18am On Jul 02, 2007
i went to a public school and look how i turned out! often times it's not just the school you should depend on. when the kids get home they still have to do homework under your watchful eye. its what you teach them at home that is the 'jara' they need.

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 People You Will Not Believe Their Existence / List Of Most Lucrative Courses / 5 Highly Effective Health Tips For College Students!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.