Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

20 Common Errors Job Seekers Make - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 20 Common Errors Job Seekers Make (368 Views)

A Common Mistake Some Job Seekers Make In English / 10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make And How To Avoid Them / Mention One Mistake Job Seekers Make When Writing A Cv/Cover Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

20 Common Errors Job Seekers Make by pharigoldltd: 1:40pm On Nov 15, 2017
Every day, thousands of people look for a job and almost every single one of them makes at lease one or many mistake(s) in the process. The worst part is, many are not aware of these blunders.

"It never ceases to amaze me when people make mistakes, then slap themselves on the forehead and say, 'I can't believe I did that.' I feel they need to pop them on the head," says JaLynn Hudnall, of Ravenwood Forest Consulting.

Here are 20 dumb job search mistakes that experts say you can avoid with a little thought:

1. Not using a professional e-mail address.

"It is wonderful that you are proud of your heritage and cultural roots. However, please don't use 'juicygapeach' as your e-mail address," Hudnall says. "There are enough free e-mail hosts out there that you can set up a plain first and last name as account that is professional and non-description."

2. Jumping into the fire without your fireproof undies.

Don't start your search without a plan or much thought as to where you want to go and how you plan to get there," says Julie Bauke, author of "Stop Peeing On Your Shoes- Avoiding the 7 Mistakes that Screw up your Job Search." Also, make sure you can answer these three key questions: Why are you in the job market? Tell me about yourself. What are you looking to do next?

3. Not checking yourself in the mirror before walking into an interview.

"I once interviewed someone who had a giant piece of lettuce hanging off his mustache," says Mario Schulzke, founder of CareerSparx.com. "I should have said something to him, but it was just too awkward and instead I spent 30 minutes staring at the guy's upper lip."

4. Falling into the 'black hole.'

Many job seekers misunderstand the role of the Internet in their job search, Bauke says. "It is good for research and connections," she says, but "you are not most likely to get a job that way."

5. Being forgetful.

"One mistake that I have seen a number of times over the years is people using a cover letter template and forgetting to change the company and name to who it is addressed," says Paul Peterson, MA, MBA, national talent resource manager, human resources. "Your cover letter should always be customized to the company and position to which you are applying."

6. Going to networking events -- but not really networking.

"Real networking is building mutually beneficial relationships," Bauke says. That can be hard to do in a group setting. "Make sure you are having at least three to five one-on-one meetings per week."

7. Omitting a signature block in your e-mail.

"A signature block is a perfect place to give a brief 20-word teaser and include a link to your online résumé," Hudnall says. For example, "Georgia Environmental Engineer with 7 years experience, seeking job in new locale, click here for full résumé."

8. Casting your net too widely.

"You are not a fit everywhere and you are not good at everything," Bauke reminds. "Your search will be much more effective if you focus on exactly what kind of work you want to do and where you want to do it."

9. Not paying attention.

"Job seekers aren't reading the job description carefully and following the specific directions provided by the employer, recruiter or hiring manager," says Eddy Salomon, founder of Workathomenoscams.com and Workathomecareers.com. "The job description may state 'please apply by visiting x site. Please do not send a résumé.' But many job seekers are guilty of scanning the information provided and will end up doing the opposite of what has been described and send a résumé. Employers can't help but disqualify these candidates because it shows a lack of attention to detail and the failure to follow directions."

10. Overlooking the interviewing "gimme" questions.

Prepare to answer the basics questions: What are your strengths and weaknesses? Tell me about yourself. Why should we hire you? "You know they are coming. Be prepared!" Bauke says.

11. Not joining your local Chamber of Commerce.

"Every Chamber across the United States has a monthly get together usually called something like 'Business After Hours,' and many even have young professionals associations," Hudnall says. "Not using this an as opportunity to network and meet others in your field is a missed opportunity."

12. Having grammar or spelling errors on your résumé or coverletter.

"No matter how many résumés you send out, each customized to fit one job description, you must review each one closely for grammar and spelling errors," says Rick Saia, CPRW, content writer for Pongo Résumé . "Even the tiniest error will cast a bad impression on the hiring manager, especially if you write 'attentive to detail' as a strength. It's good practice to have a trusted friend or relative read through your documents before you send them."

Click here for full details

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

1 Share

Re: 20 Common Errors Job Seekers Make by generalbush(m): 2:17pm On Nov 15, 2017
you try tho.

(1) (Reply)

Management Sciences For Health Recruitment (4 Vacant Jobs) / Sales Associates(surulere,lekki) / Accountant Needed Urgently In Port Harcourt Hospitality Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.