Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable (1099 Views)

Sagay, Ezekwesili, Aribisala Clash At Roundtable On Corruption War / World Leaders May Ban Jonathan From G8 Summit / G8 Leaders To Discuss Nigeria’s Controversial Oil Wealth Wastage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by trueword: 6:10am On Mar 23, 2010
Jonathan invited to G8/G20 roundtable
Mar 22, 2010

Abuja- Nigeria’s Acting President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan is among the high powered dignitaries who have been invited to grace a Roundtable on broad range of issues to be deliberated in June by the G8/G20 summits being hosted by the Canadian government.

Co-organised by the Africa Network for Environment and Economic Justice (ANEEJ) and the Canadian High Commission in Abuja, the roundtable will be held on Tuesday March 23, 2010 starting at 9.00am at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel.

“There are a number of development challenges besetting our nation which require global support and attention. They range from democracy, good governance, repatriation of the country’s looted assets, poverty, Climate Change, security and of course Overseas Development Assistance (ODA),” says Executive Director of ANEEJ, Rev. David Ugolor.

“Our aim is to ensure that a Nigerian civil society message is carried into the Summit. This Roundtable will provide an opportunity for participants to dialogue and debate issues relevant to Nigeria. We expect high level input from delegates and participants.

“African development issues has been a permanent agenda item for many years and numerous Summits have made ODA pledges to Africa; corruption and transparency have been standing agenda items and the Extractive
Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) emanated from the 2005 Gleneagles Summit. We need to also review NEITI implementation and where we are in the war on graft”, Ugolor asserts.

According to a statement issued by the Canadian High Commission to Nigeria, “the purpose of this workshop is to provide Nigerian stakeholders – in government as well as in civil society – with a platform to convey views to G8/G20 leaders. Nigeria’s crucial leadership role on the African continent and beyond makes us especially eager to solicit a broad range of Nigerian views in anticipation of this year’s G8/G20 meetings.”

The 2010 G8 and G20 Summits are both hosted by the government of Canada; the G8 will be held in Huntsville, Ontario on June 25 – 27, and the G20 (co-hosted by South Korea) will be held in Toronto on June 26 – 27.

Both meetings are vital in providing political direction and commitment across a broad range of issues. The Summit Communiqués are used as indicators by other multilateral processes and agencies in the pursuit of
their work. Often the G8 issue instructions to the OECD and the World Bank to initiate studies or other workstreams.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/22/jonathan-invited-to-g8g20-roundtable/
Re: Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by blacksta(m): 7:11am On Mar 23, 2010
and the people are still hungry & poor, embarassed
Re: Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 23, 2010
The reason I don't like this kind of meeting is because these so called leaders don't brain storm, they just come with written speeches listing things that they might never do. On the other hand, I'm glad world leaders are recognizing Jonathan who is constitutionally the president of Nigeria and also, willing to listen to Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by Badguyz: 9:39am On Mar 23, 2010
This comes to me as a welcome development, and I agree with 9jaganja's view of Leaders coming with written speeches, which clearly isn't the way forward, most of the leaders attend the meets to fulfill their obligations of having attended the prestigious summit, (good for the resume too),

I'm curious about who gets to attend/represent Nigeria if Yaradua recovers wink? Him, Jonathan or Ojo Madueke? Who do you rekon? and how do you expect the game to play out?
Re: Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 23, 2010
Dat is no surprise 4 me cos i know america is a very selfish country,selfish in d sense dat al their actions,interests n motives is always 4 their benefit n inviting jonathan is nt other than their selfish interest.of couse they know jonathan is from d south south so assisting him wil help dem in tran4min niger delta 4 their benefit.in otherwords dey've restratedgized another means of taking advtage of niger delta.by helping d acting president he'l obviously dance 2 their tune (n dis tym he wount av a choice)
Re: Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 23, 2010
Beware!not al dat gliters is gold.d g8 r smarter than people think
Re: Jonathan Invited To G8/g20 Roundtable by alias64: 2:06pm On Mar 23, 2010
while at it, he should wear some native attire not those coonish oyibo regalia. That usual clobber of he's makes me suspicious of his intelligence undecided

(1) (Reply)

Power-greedy Official Refuses To Hand Over At Tenure's Expiration / Protest Against Efcc In Rivers State / Remember Ds Frm 25 Yrs Ago?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.