Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,241 members, 7,815,329 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

Movies And Me - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Movies And Me (1258 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movies And Me by deols(f): 9:05am On Mar 23, 2010
Movies
If you ask people why they see movies, majority will tell you ‘to have fun’, some others, ‘to kill boredom’ and a few others, ’to learn some lessons’ and to people like me, all of the above.
I love to see the lifestyles portrayed in movies, review them and see which I can fit into mine among other things. But, thinking critically, the negative effect of movies is so much greater than the benefits.
I’d like to tell you about a recent movie and what I learnt from it.
A scientific advancement lead to the production of some living individuals produced by using human DNA plus those of some non-human (but also living) creatures. The human whose DNA is used enters a coffin-like object, losses consciousness and then finds himself living in another body, similar to those of the non-human creatures.
Anyone who’d seen the movie would start to wonder how the writer thought of something like this and a lot of people (including Oprah) commended his intelligence. I find it amazing too. But it got me thinking.

When you tell people about the life in the grave, they start to question how possible that is. Even when you explain to them that it is in terms of consciousness, that the dead feels everything described by Islam even if not visible to people around.

Am sure many of these people do not find it hard to believe the possibility of an Avatar, but question what Allah and rasulullah say.

I quit
I deleted all the movies on my PC. Someone is probably wondering why. But am sure it wont be hard for you to understand by the time I explain the reason.

Allah‘s Command
Every man and woman is enjoined to lower their gaze with the opposite sex. The first sight is pardoned but the second is forbidden. How is it then possible for me to take my eyes away from my screen, away from whom the movie revolves around and still enjoy or understand the movie.

Indecent dressing
There is so much indecency in movies, and all of this I frown at on people, take my eyes away from but take into my home in the form of movies. Many parents even see these in the presence of their children and reprimand them when they decide to dress this way,. Because of this also, I quit.

What about the roles
Hugs, kisses, sex, alcohol intake, vulgar words characterize these movies. They are ways of sinning with our eyes, ears, etc. They even distort our thoughts. I never moved close to a place where alcohol is sold but in the movies, I watch the characters drink to stupor .

I enjoin you brothers and sisters to learn from these!

1 Like

Re: Movies And Me by spikedcylinder: 9:23am On Mar 23, 2010
Goodluck to you as I figure it might be hard going cold turkey like that.
However, I must ask: what about those movies whose sole purpose is to entertain and educate without the inclusion of anything that allegedly makes you sin? Movies that are thought provoking? Your children, if you have, will they be allowed to watching children's entertainment? Cartoons? How do you intend to keep yourself occupied?
Re: Movies And Me by nopuqeater: 12:36pm On Mar 23, 2010
@deols: my regard for you. you know your trial, you decide to avoid it. there are movies that are educative, the movies about knowledge, islam, etc, you should not shun them.

@spikedcylinder: if the thread starter knows his difficulties and start avoidng them, his/her life will be richer, more fulfilling, though to you with different set of priorities may find it boring, almost without a life worth living. but his/her condition is ancored directly with the Creator; is there a greater Support? his/her trial is different from that of another person. a person in fashion may put focus on the costumes, while a person from theater/acting looks for the emotional believability projected by individual actor.

the conditin of children is different; no sin is recorded until the age of puberty. even yet Allah is capable of forgiving all since, prior to the age of Maturity (40 years old) and then beyond, prior to death. even at death, Allah Will not be unjust to anyone; thats a Promise from Him. and he does nor break promise(s).
Re: Movies And Me by deols(f): 3:37pm On Mar 23, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Goodluck to you as I figure it might be hard going cold turkey like that.
However, I must ask: what about those movies whose sole purpose is to entertain and educate without the inclusion of anything that allegedly makes you sin? Movies that are thought provoking? Your children, if you have, will they be allowed to watching children's entertainment? Cartoons? How do you intend to keep yourself occupied?

I understand people view things in different perspectives but the use of cold turkey as a description of my move is not right at all. There are a lot of interesting and at the same time beneficial things to be engaged in-books to read, the Qur'an to recite and listen to,e.t.c.

When i mentioned movies, I was only referring to entertainment movies and any other one without involving the above mentioned unacceptable acts is ok to see. For example,i watch the News but i keep my gaze low as much as i can but i wont watch a wrestling match that involves the guys wearing panties only nor would i expect a muslim man to watch women swin.

Children are allowed to watch children movies.I dont have children now but when i do, i'd rather let them play games, read books than watch movies because i know they'll surely outgrow them and might start to look out for the ones 'befitting their age'.
Re: Movies And Me by spikedcylinder: 4:38pm On Mar 23, 2010
deols:

I understand people view things in different perspectives but the use of cold turkey as a description of my move is not right at all. There are a lot of interesting and at the same time beneficial things to be engaged in-books to read, the Qur'an to recite and listen to,e.t.c.

When i mentioned movies, I was only referring to entertainment movies and any other one without involving the above mentioned unacceptable acts is ok to see. For example,i watch the News but i keep my gaze low as much as i can but i wont watch a wrestling match that involves the guys wearing panties only nor would i expect a muslim man to watch women swin.

Children are allowed to watch children movies.I dont have children now but when i do, i'd rather let them play games, read books than watch movies because i know they'll surely outgrow them and might start to look out for the ones 'befitting their age'.

It's not a matter of different perspectives, 'cold turkey' in this scenario is quite apt.
You said:
If you ask people why they see movies, majority will tell you ‘to have fun’, some others, ‘to kill boredom’ and a few others, ’to learn some lessons’ and to people like me, all of the above.
I love to see the lifestyles portrayed in movies, review them and see which I can  fit into mine [/b]among other things.

For someone who is a lover of movies, giving up on watching them altogether [b]is
going cold turkey. It's grammar based, not perspective based.

Anyway, as I said earlier, goodluck. smiley
Re: Movies And Me by ronkeenuf(f): 11:39am On Mar 25, 2010
That's a bold step there deols, I luv movies alot but I have come to accept them as fantasies a long time ago. I have trained myself not to take that hobby as priority and Alhamdulilah, I don't take watching movies, especially the 'talk of town' latest movies, as a do or die affair as I used to. I did not watch Avatar until about 5 months after it was released which was unlike me, I pondered about it too but was not as freaked about it as everyone was making it. I'll really like to quit totally like you. May Allah help me to and strengthen you to uphold your decision, amin.
Re: Movies And Me by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 04, 2010
@deols,
AAWW,
Congrats on your awakening. I mean on raise your awareness level & escaping the world of zombies.
It's an uphill struggle (It's a path I've threaded) and if you ever feel let down; pls, do not despair, do not give in.
Remember it's a struggle; Trust in God, you will win.

@ et al.
DO YOU KNOW*******
The meaning or content of many of the movies can affect people’s behaviour consciously or subconsciously.
More than flashed messages in films and videos[b], [/b] embedded VSNL imagery in the media and video[b],[/b] The[/b] effect of subliminal message is more devastating, such techniques are actually more effective than promotional messages of which people are aware? They call it Mind Control .see Subliminal message, MKUltra

Meaning: They bring into your homes all the evil you are shunning outside. They drum[b] it[/b] into you subtly, subliminally, consistently & systematically until it becomes normal to you e.g VIOLENCE, DEVIANT SEXUALITY, HOMOSEXUALITY & NUDITY (Dr. 90210, Brokeback Mountain, Eye wide shut), MAGIC & SORCERY (Harry Potter, LOTR etc.), FOOLISHNESS & VANITY (hip hop music, bling bling culture, tatoo), STUPIDITY & DISRESPECT TO PARENT (Kumar & Lee, Yo Momma! on MTV)

Effects:
Men (plaiting of hair, wearing of earring, nosering and incessant use of vulgar language)
Women (being reduce to piece of meat and silicon (Indecent exposure, wanting to do cosmetic surgery to fit to the stereotypes on TV cos the message got to you and you started feeling inadequate/inferiority complex, Nigerian Home video syndrome)

REFERENCE: Been there, Done that & Back again struggling to find the straight path

Like Ronkeenuf said we should try not to give them priority, be selective, use your discretion or better still, shun them
Re: Movies And Me by justfash50: 10:17am On Apr 17, 2010
Surely Allah will make it easy for me cos am also a culprit and its a trial for me now, would be more selective in watching movies now.May ALLAH make it easy for us all.
Re: Movies And Me by deols(f): 5:36am On Apr 25, 2010
Thanks all for your comments. I find them very useful.

concerning what Airdig said about some things subconsciously becoming a part of someone,this has happened to me a lot of the time. I just start to sing a song i never deliberately listened to.I later realized they were heard only by passing by, or on tv or just by churches around.

I pray Allah helps us to shun all vices
Re: Movies And Me by ronkeenuf(f): 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2010
You may have read this story before here http://www.islamcan.com/youth/the-stranger.shtml, I thought I should post here for those who haven't:

The Stranger

"A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small Tennessee town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later.

As I grew up I never questioned his place in our family. In my young mind, each member had a special niche. My brother, Yusuf, five years my senior,was my example. Samya, my younger sister, gave me an opportunity to play 'big brother' and develop the art of teasing. My parents were complementary instructors-- Mom taught me to love Allah, and Dad taught me to how to obey Him. But the stranger was our storyteller. He could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures, mysteries and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our whole family spell-bound for hours each evening. If I wanted to know about politics, history, or science, he knew it.

He knew about the past and seemed to understood the present. The pictures he could draw were so life like that I would often laugh or cry as I watched. He was like a friend to the whole family. He took Dad, Yusuf and me to our first major league baseball game. He was always encouraging us to see the movies and he even made arrangements to introduce us to several famous people.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn' t seem to mind-but sometimes Mom would quietly get up-- while the rest of us were enthralled with one of his stories of faraway places-- go to her room, read the Qur'aan.

I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave. You see, my dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions. But this stranger never felt obligation to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our house-- not from us, from our friends, or adults. Our longtime visitor,however, used occasional four letter words that burned my ears and made Dad squirm, To my knowledge the stranger was never confronted. My dad was a teatotaler who didn't permit alcohol in his home - not even for cooking.

But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us to other ways of life. He offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages often.

He made cigarettes look tasty, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (probably too much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.

I know now that my early concepts of the man-woman relationship were influenced by the stranger.

As I look back, I believe it was Allah's Mercy that the stranger did not influence us more. Time after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yet he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave. More than thirty years have passed since the stranger moved in with the young family on Morningside Drive.

He is not nearly so intriguing to my Dad as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk into my parents' den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name you ask?

We called him TV.

It makes you think, doesn't it,
Re: Movies And Me by xoxogg(f): 9:44am On Jan 14, 2011
Bold Bold move by deols, true, the things we shun outside are brought into our homes in the form of movies, i which i could make your sort of decision and fully enforce it immediately.

I am doing it gradually though. One of my achievements this past year is giving up active listening to music, though i still have soundtracks to contend with. This year i am working on giving up movies totally, i am probably @ the Stage Ronkeenuf was in. I understand it is just fantasies and I have control over it but there's still no telling the effects its having on my subconscious so I think the best course of action is to stop watching them altogether.
Re: Movies And Me by zayhal(f): 7:37pm On Jan 14, 2011
ronkeenuf:

You may have read this story before here http://www.islamcan.com/youth/the-stranger.shtml, I thought I should post here for those who haven't:

The Stranger

"A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small Tennessee town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later.

As I grew up I never questioned his place in our family. In my young mind, each member had a special niche. My brother, Yusuf, five years my senior,was my example. Samya, my younger sister, gave me an opportunity to play 'big brother' and develop the art of teasing. My parents were complementary instructors-- Mom taught me to love Allah, and Dad taught me to how to obey Him. But the stranger was our storyteller. He could weave the most fascinating tales. Adventures, mysteries and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our whole family spell-bound for hours each evening. If I wanted to know about politics, history, or science, he knew it.

He knew about the past and seemed to understood the present. The pictures he could draw were so life like that I would often laugh or cry as I watched. He was like a friend to the whole family. He took Dad, Yusuf and me to our first major league baseball game. He was always encouraging us to see the movies and he even made arrangements to introduce us to several famous people.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn' t seem to mind-but sometimes Mom would quietly get up-- while the rest of us were enthralled with one of his stories of faraway places-- go to her room, read the Qur'aan.

I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would leave. You see, my dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions. But this stranger never felt obligation to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our house-- not from us, from our friends, or adults. Our longtime visitor,however, used occasional four letter words that burned my ears and made Dad squirm, To my knowledge the stranger was never confronted. My dad was a teatotaler who didn't permit alcohol in his home - not even for cooking.

But the stranger felt like we needed exposure and enlightened us to other ways of life. He offered us beer and other alcoholic beverages often.

He made cigarettes look tasty, cigars manly, and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (probably too much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.

I know now that my early concepts of the man-woman relationship were influenced by the stranger.

As I look back, I believe it was Allah's Mercy that the stranger did not influence us more. Time after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yet he was seldom rebuked and never asked to leave. More than thirty years have passed since the stranger moved in with the young family on Morningside Drive.

He is not nearly so intriguing to my Dad as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk into my parents' den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name you ask?

We called him TV.

It makes you think, doesn't it,

How come I missed this before now?

Ronke, jazakumullah khayran.

@topic

The evil of TV is undoubtedly more than its gains, especially for the young children. To some, it seem to be a necessary evil, something one can't do without. I've not had a Tv set in my home for the past six years, and I'm yet to feel the disadvantage of it.
Re: Movies And Me by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jan 14, 2011
Me i watch tv o,i even watch Horror movies most times,and they dnt in any way affect my iman,though after all necessary salawat
Re: Movies And Me by Lagosboy: 11:36pm On Jan 14, 2011
In life we just have to strike a balance in everything, movies itself is not haraam if the contents dont have haraam thigs in it.

TV also has good in it and it depends on what it is used for, in the UK we have several islamic stations that benefit the muslims in a tremendous manner. There are several educational materials for kids and parents have control over what their kids can watch except the lazy parents that just chuck their kids in front of any program on TV.

Islam recognises the need for the human soul and body to relax and enjoy play and amusments albeit in a halaal manner.

And God knows best
Re: Movies And Me by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 14, 2011
@Lagosboy,sent an email to you but you dnt reply
Re: Movies And Me by Lagosboy: 11:52pm On Jan 14, 2011
I am sorry sister , if you did not bring my attention to it now i would not have known as i havent checked my mails
Re: Movies And Me by ifyalways(f): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2011
zayhal:

How come I missed this before now?

Ronke, jazakumullah khayran.

@topic

The evil of TV is undoubtedly more than its gains, especially for the young children. To some, it seem to be a necessary evil, something one can't do without. I've not had a Tv set in my home for the past six years, and I'm yet to feel the disadvantage of it.
wow, shocked
The first time my husband talked to me abt movies and TV programmes i watch,i was like wtf is wrong with this man.He went to Hajj and brought me lots of audios and dvd's and im loving it and asking for more.
I have in my collection :life of the last prophet,Paradise found,30 days as a muslim,The Hajj: One American's Pilgrimage to Mecca etc.My boys have and enjoy "Muhammad: The Last Prophet" cartoon.
I still do watch the normal TV .
Re: Movies And Me by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 15, 2011
Abio grin
Re: Movies And Me by zayhal(f): 11:05am On Jan 16, 2011
ifyalways:

wow, shocked
The first time my husband talked to me abt movies and TV programmes i watch,i was like wtf is wrong with this man.He went to Hajj and brought me lots of audios and dvd's and im loving it and asking for more.
I have in my collection :life of the last prophet,Paradise found,30 days as a muslim,The Hajj: One American's Pilgrimage to Mecca etc.My boys have and enjoy "Muhammad: The Last Prophet" cartoon.
I still do watch the normal TV .

I've seen most of those videos you mentioned Ify. Let's say I'm not just a TV person. Even before I became really conscious of Islam, I didn't really fancy watching TV. But when I learn of a good video, I watch them, on my PC. I guess my lifestyle also contributes, there's hardly room for TV. I spend my spare time here. LOL. wink
Re: Movies And Me by xoxogg(f): 11:19am On Jan 17, 2011
The TV in itself is not totally evil cos there are wonderful, educative and islamic channels on it. Its movies and the subliminal message they pass. I am also a PC person, i watch most of my movies on PC.

Right now, I am dropping hollywood from my list and focusing on bollywood and nollywood.  I've always been a fan of bollywood bt have little patience for nollywood. So i'll focus on those two, develop my interest in nollywood(seems their standards are improving nowadays) and later on drop bollywood totally.

I can stick to nollywood, I feel its the lesser of the three evils. Eventually i hope i'll quit totally, bt this is my game plan right now.
Re: Movies And Me by spikedcylinder: 2:41pm On Jan 17, 2011
Ify, are you a muslim?
Re: Movies And Me by ifyalways(f): 4:20pm On Jan 19, 2011
spikedcylinder:

Ify, are you a muslim?
Yeah Spikes.
Re: Movies And Me by spikedcylinder: 7:43pm On Jan 19, 2011
ifyalways:

Yeah Spikes.

And you're igbo? That's rare. Amazing though. cheesy kiss
Re: Movies And Me by tbaba1234: 7:54pm On Jan 19, 2011
The important thing is to regulate what you watch and what your kids watch,

Tv by itself is not bad,

Personally, I don't watch TV as much i used to, mainly because im too busy, but when i do, I try to stay away from anything haram. I do watch movies, but i try to understand the theme of the movie before watching. They are not all bad.

I don't listen to music again except nasheeds, because a lot of songs just pass the wrong message, Sex, money, women, That seems to be all they talk about,

I think it is particularly important for parents to watch what their kids watch,

Salam.
Re: Movies And Me by deols(f): 6:15pm On Jul 12, 2013
undecided
Re: Movies And Me by tpia5: 10:03pm On Jul 12, 2013
which american movies would an average observant muslim consider ok to watch? Examples, i mean.

obviously, something like aladdin is out of the question even though it has an arab setting.

how about nollywood movies- none or some? I guess the kannywood movies would be considered more suitable for those who watch home based films?
Re: Movies And Me by deols(f): 7:13pm On Jul 13, 2013
tpia@:
which american movies would an average observant muslim consider ok to watch? Examples, i mean.

obviously, something like aladdin is out of the question even though it has an arab setting.

how about nollywood movies- none or some? I guess the kannywood movies would be considered more suitable for those who watch home based films?

I'd say none of the above.

I actually found myself seeing some movies after this write up.

You know, like getting recommendations for 'professional movies'.But day by day, it got worse and more sexualised.

Hmmn. God forgive us.

I'd like to meet an existing saint.
Re: Movies And Me by tpia5: 1:00am On Jul 14, 2013
^i dont understand your post but what about kannywood movies- is that closer to what you'd prefer?

what type of elements should be in a movie you'd like?
Re: Movies And Me by tpia5: 2:39am On Jul 14, 2013
look at this sitcom i found, called little mosque on the prairie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mosque_on_the_Prairie

i didnt watch [found it on google], but the show sounds like an interesting concept.

it has a character playing a nigerian Muslim woman in it:

http://abbaskarimjeeweblog.com/2011/02/15/interview-with-little-mosque-on-the-prairies-arlene-duncan/

would you consider this show too western and offensive to your Islamic faith?

cnn segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uT-StoCB7k

note: i havent watched the show and am unaware of the content beyond what i posted here.

(1) (Reply)

Wahhabi/Salafist Preacher Molested and Killed Daughter With Minimal Punishment / Fatima Was Angered / Humans Are Wicked - Woman Stoned For Adultery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.