Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Check Engine Light - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Check Engine Light (1641 Views)

Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Understanding your car's Check Engine light / Check Engine Light And How Do I Resolve? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Check Engine Light by Benosky011(m): 6:21am On Nov 16, 2017
Abeg my fellow Nairalanders,
I need an advise on my Toyota Camry 2.4l.
The car had run like 204,000mileage. I bought it in August this year (tokumbo) and used Hardex 5w 30 oil to service the engine.

Just yesterday, the check engine light puped up and was showing permanently. When I got to my office, I parked the car.
In the evening, while going to an auto service center, I discovered that that same check engine light has disappeared. Till now, am not seeing it again, unless when I crank the engine.

Pls my brothers and sisters, what do you advise me to do now.
The mileage since the last oil change is about 3,600.
Since the light has disappeared, should I ignore it or what should I do. I understand the oil I used will lead to about 6mnts or 5000miles.

Pls advise me.
Re: Check Engine Light by mayor2013: 6:24am On Nov 16, 2017
Continue to use that hardex engine oil at your own peril. That is correct palm oil. Go to the auto service centre and run a scan
Re: Check Engine Light by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:28am On Nov 16, 2017
Benosky011:
The car had run like 204,000mileage. I bought it in August this year (tokumbo) and used Hardex 5w 30 oil to service the engine.

Just yesterday, the check engine light puped up and was showing permanently. When I got to my office, I parked the car.
In the evening, while going to an auto service center, I discovered that that same check engine light has disappeared. Till now, am not seeing it again, unless when I crank the engine.

Since the light has disappeared, should I ignore it or what should I do. I understand the oil I used will lead to about 6mnts or 5000miles.

Pls advise me.

Errors like small leak on evaporative emission control system, usually clear them selves when problem is fixed. It is possible your fuel tank cover was not locked in properly, and now it is.

Do not bother about going to an auto center, invest that money in a basic bluetooth scanner.

The engine oil you used is also not so great, but not bad either. Next oil change use better quality brands like mobil (USA)

Enjoy your car, get a scanner.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Check Engine Light by Olidawg247(m): 3:33pm On Nov 16, 2017
Your Oxygen Sensor might be failing, You need to get that checked and just like Gazzuz said, you need too use Libricants specified for your vehicle. OW-20 Precisely for better engine protection and performance..

Re: Check Engine Light by Benosky011(m): 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2017
0w 20?
The spec for my car, from Toyota is 5w 20.
But I appreciate ur advice.
I think I should try Mobil 1 from USA as advised by Guzuz.
Re: Check Engine Light by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:46pm On Nov 17, 2017
Benosky011:
0w 20?

angry
Re: Check Engine Light by Coldplay007(f): 6:23am On Nov 18, 2017
Benosky011:
0w 20?
5w30
Re: Check Engine Light by jossytech(m): 3:51pm On Nov 21, 2017
Use this

Re: Check Engine Light by scarplanet(m): 1:34am On Nov 22, 2017
Benosky011:

Pls advise me.

3600 miles?? una get power oo.

i personally cant drive my car with thesame oil over 1300 miles or below 70% oil life! Prevention is better than cure!

(1) (Reply)

Enquiry: Cost And Ease Of Modding A 1980s Peugeot 504 Interior. / 2005 Direct Tokunbo Corolla / I Need A New Engine For My Toyota Avalon 2002

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.