Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,051 members, 7,828,700 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator (868 Views)

New Nigerian Online News Aggregator / Displaying Rss Feeds Easily Using Google Ajax Feed Api / Nigerian Rss News Feeds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by cyberomin(m): 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2010
Hi people i have been playing with the idea of bringing all my news into one place, so that led me into developing my own news reader. Currently this reader is in it's alpha state, so they are lots of bugs, i decided to release it to the public so that y'all can test it and tell me what you think, all suggestion will be highly appreciated. You can only read the default news currently, but subsequently you will be able to:
1. Add your own news and share them with people that matter to you
2. Organise your news in categories
3. Follow other people and keep tabs with news the love.
4. System should be able to recommend news to you based on your interest . etc.

Let me not let the cat out of the bag just yet, meanwhile http://wordfamilycenter.org/RSSReader is the link. 'njoy.

The Reader will run on a temporary link for a while, till we release version one, BTW i'm looking for someone who will sponsor the hosting sad.

Pls if you have ideas and suggestion on features the reader should have, pls drop a comment here. If you notice any bug, drop a comment here still.

Let's do this , this is our own thing.

-Moi, Celestine Omim.
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by DualCore1: 6:12pm On Mar 23, 2010
Hmmm,
This look nice. When you're ready to go all out with this, place an order for hosting on TruDigits.com for any of the shared hosting plans 1GB, 2GB or 3GB. You'll automatically get an email and an SMS containing your invoice number. Mail support@trudigits.com with the invoice number and your nairaland ID. I'll get you up and running. i'll get you hosted at no charge for the first year alone. You'll have to pay for subsequent years if you choose to remain. wink
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by DualCore1: 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2010
One more thing. To verify the request is coming from you, provide an email address with which I can mail you a pass phrase. You'll have to include the pass phrase in the mail you send to support@trudigits.com.
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by cyberomin(m): 6:28pm On Mar 23, 2010
Bro thanks, i really appreciate it , God bless. You have gingered me to go all out for this. I can't thank you enough, this is work in progress, i hope people appreciate the effort put into this.

-Moi Cyberomin
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 23, 2010
OK. You wrote sing in rather than sign in.

Funny enough i learnt about this your project before you wrote it on nland (Source undisclosable) and i also know you are very good at php, and web based programing, so i have no doubt on the standard of the application.

The side i find must painful is the fact that the site seems to drag all my bandwidth and slows down all other sites and also is slow. Improve on that, i think Dual can offer a good and fast host plan, i know him for that.

The color combination is good and the design is not below standard and the layout suits the purpose.

Generally a brilliant idea with a good  implementation.

Donpuzo says so!!!
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by cyberomin(m): 6:43pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Donouzo, thanks man for the typo, na sleep 'cos am, you know na. For me being very good at web dev - coming from a guy i adore so much(no kidding) i am humbled. Thanks for the review and please check more for me. Thanks to Dual i wish i can meet you guys some day in person. God bless y'all. How did you know about the project, damn that mean i don't have privacy again. Lol.
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Cyberromin. Honestly, i was waiting to see the work and now wey e don land, omo i wish it hit spotlight. At least with markerting and optimisation.

I go roam about the site, and drop more comments, and of course if you want nice comments personally say so, cause i am not always nice, and today na, day for me,

Long and short of it is that Dual na the main deal. Thanks Dualcore, me self i feel humbled, having someone like you in this forum. Your kindness and love for the Nigerian Web world can not be equated to mine. Mine na hatred.

@Cyberman. One love man!!!
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by cyberomin(m): 6:57pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Donpuzo broz no qualms roam the site and drop ya comments here, try and be a lil (:not harsh) with your kid bro oh. Na experiment come turn full work so. Any ways i will need lots of publicity for am sha, but let the real deal roll first. Thanks man. 1 Love.
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by sayhi2ay(m): 7:22pm On Mar 23, 2010
good job!
-can you get feeds from other sites too ?
-include number of comments on the actual post in the byline
- take out the +0000 in the byline, and don't display 'Author' if the string is empty
-can you retain the state of the menu on the sidebar?
-something is wrong with your character settings maybe?
-remove email address from author's field, or have a separate field for that

-* am not sure if i want each link opening in a new tab,  (personal opinion)

except you are getting feeds from different news site, i could just as well go to that particular site, see whats up in their "latest news" titles, and be on my merry way when am done - without having to waste my time coming to your site first and then re directing me.

- dont ask people to sort, show 10 post titles on your right sidebar either by title, latest post or recent articles (and then have maybe 10 more recent articles underneath) - there are many news site out there than waste my time on one having to sort for news or something like that
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 23, 2010
God bless sayhio.

I just saw that. Men when u develop sites you try not to market another site of such nature. at least not when u are promoting urs and it is the same nature.

Like he said i expected the readmore to bring up the complete news rather than source it from another site in new tab, it may make a user just disregard urs and get the best from the other.

Don't know your mindset on that, was the site meant to be a non stop zone for all news, sourcing from other sites and opening them.
Re: Made In Naija - Our Own Rss News Aggregator by cyberomin(m): 7:57pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Sayhi2ay thanks for your review i appreciate, the site is a news aggregator and content there are gotten via RSS we don't develop content, now concerning the new tab yeah RSS give you a lil news in the summary so you cant always get the full thing, alternatively i can screen scrape the news, but different site has their own markup style differently, so what happens when the full thing goes life and people add their own feed then i am screwed. Ok for the email and co they still gotten from the sites RSS, in other words the idea is this when you visit the site you get default news but when you loggin you can then customise what you see and add you own news.

@Dunpuzo thanks man - keep 'em review coming.
Peace.

-Moi Cyberomin.

(1) (Reply)

Help! / A Nigerian Twitter Client! Website Review / What's Wrong With This Php Form Code Sef?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.