Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home (682 Views)

SACP Calls For The Expulsion Of The Israeli Ambassador To SA / Xenophobia: South Africa Condemns Nigeria's Decision To Recall Its Ambassador / South Africa's ANC Calls Israeli Ambassador To Leave The Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by ipheanyi: 6:05pm On Mar 23, 2010
United kingdom has sent Israeli ambassador to uk packing. This is becuase uk believed that Israel intelligence forged the british passport used in the assasination of senior Hamas official in Dubai.
Will this action cut diplomatic ties between this countries?
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by RichyBlacK(m): 11:02am On Mar 24, 2010
Israel must be ashamed of itself for being a state sponsor of terrorism and forging UK passports.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by ElRazur: 12:51pm On Mar 24, 2010
Again no proof is forth coming forward. Israel have stated there is no proof to say it is them. As it stand, people are just pointing fingers without proof. However, it should be noted that UK's action was after a report from the SOCO.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 24, 2010
The UK is firmly in the grip of her islamic masters. All hail the islamic republic of England.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by MyJoe: 6:10pm On Mar 24, 2010
The news I have is that the UK is expelling an "Israeli diplomat" - that is different from expelling the ambassador. This is a classic timid British response to a reprehensible act - more like Chamberlain than Churchill. They ought to expel the Israeli ambassador and close their embassy in Tel Aviv as a starting point.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by dayokanu(m): 6:31pm On Mar 24, 2010
Just a question.

Were the ambasadors of country's whose nationals were implicated in the July 7 2005 bombings also expelled too
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by chic2pimp(m): 6:37pm On Mar 24, 2010
davidylan:

The UK is firmly in the grip of her islamic masters. All hail the islamic republic of England.
Don't be silly tongue

The U.K only took that step for personal reasons.
Don't get it twisted, israel is still one of the UK's strongest ally.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by 4Play(m): 12:46am On Mar 25, 2010
I don't know whether the official sent packing is an ambassador but I think Israel's clumsy assassination plot was a slap in the face for the UK in so far as they endanger innocent UK citizens by cloning their passports to be used in clandestine operations. This present Israeli Govt seems particularly skilled in the art of alienating allies.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by bawomolo(m): 12:51am On Mar 25, 2010
this current Israeli government is over stepping its bound.

agreeing to build more settlement in east jerusalem during peace talks is just stupid
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by RichyBlacK(m): 9:58am On Mar 25, 2010
4 Play:

I don't know whether the official sent packing is an ambassador but I think Israel's clumsy assassination plot was a slap in the face for the UK in so far as they endanger innocent UK citizens by cloning their passports to be used in clandestine operations. This present Israeli Govt seems particularly skilled in the art of alienating allies.

4 Play,

Thank you for seeing the light on this one!

I support Israel's right to exist but will firmly condemn the rogues in Tel Aviv who know nothing more than pretending to be tough. Benjamin Netanyahu is dragging Israel through a mud pile that will possibly leave a permanent stain on Israel's foreign policy.

In one swoop, the current Israeli government has successfully undermined Israel's relation with two of her most important allies - the United States and the United Kingdom.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by 4Play(m): 9:31pm On Mar 25, 2010
A bit of copy and paste but I thought it was an interesting article:

For a head of state to visit the White House and not pose for photographers is rare. For a key ally to be left to his own devices while the President withdraws to have dinner in private was, until this week, unheard of.

Yet that is how Binyamin Netanyahu was treated by President Obama on Tuesday night, according to Israeli reports on a trip seen in Jerusalem tonight as a disastrous humiliation.

After failing to extract a written promise of concessions on Jewish settlements, Mr Obama walked out of his meeting with Mr Netanyahu but invited him to stay at the White House, consult with advisors and “let me know if there is anything new”, a US congressman who spoke to the Prime Minister said today.

“It was awful,” the congressman said. One Israeli newspaper called the meeting “a hazing in stages”, poisoned by such mistrust that the Israeli delegation eventually left rather than risk being eavesdropped on a White House phone line. Another said that the Prime Minister had received “the treatment reserved for the President of Equatorial Guinea”.

Left to talk among themselves, Mr Netanyahu and his aides retreated to the Roosevelt Room. He later spent a further half-hour with Mr Obama and extended his stay for a day of emergency talks aimed at restarting peace negotiations, but left last night with no official statement from either side. He returns to Israel dangerously isolated after what Israeli media have called a White House ambush for which he is largely to blame.

Sources said that Mr Netanyahu failed to impress Mr Obama with a flow chart purporting to show that he was not be responsible for the timing of announcements of new settlement projects in east Jerusalem. Mr Obama was said to be livid when such an announcement derailed Vice President Joe Biden’s visit to Israel this month, and his anger towards Israel does not appear to have cooled.

Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, cast doubt on minor details in Israeli accounts of the meeting but did not deny claims that it amounted to a dressing down for the Prime Minister, whose refusal to freeze settlements is seen in Washington as the main barrier to resuming peace talks.

The Likud leader now has to try to square the demands of the Obama Administration with his nationalist, ultra-Orthodox coalition partners, who want him to stand up to Washington, even though Israel desperately needs US backing in confronting the looming threat of a nuclear Iran.

“The Prime Minister leaves America disgraced, isolated and altogether weaker than when he came,” the Israeli daily Ha'aretz said.

In their meeting Mr Obama set out a number of expectations that Israel was to satisfy if it wanted to end the crisis, Israeli sources said. These included an extension of the freeze on Jewish settlement growth beyond the 10-month deadline next September, an end to Israeli building projects in east Jerusalem, and even a withdrawal of Israeli forces to positions that they held before the Second Intifada in September 2000, after which they re-occupied most of the West Bank.

Newspaper reports recounted how Mr Netanyahu looked “excessively concerned and upset” as he pulled out a flow chart to show Mr Obama how Jerusalem planning permission worked and how he could not have known of the announcement that hundreds more homes were to be built just as Mr Biden arrived in Jerusalem.

Mr Obama then suggested that Mr Netanyahu and his staff stay on at the White House to consider his proposals, so that if he changed his mind he could inform the President right away. “I’m still around,” the Yediot Ahronot daily quoted Mr Obama saying. “Let me know if there is anything new.”

With the atmosphere so soured by the end of the evening, the Israelis decided that they could not trust the phone line they had been lent. Mr Netanyahu retired with his defence minister, Ehud Barak, to the Israeli Embassy to ensure the Americans were not listening in.

The meeting came barely a day after Mr Obama’s landmark health reform victory. Israel had calculated that he would be too tied up with domestic issues ahead of the mid-term elections to focus seriously on the Middle East.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article7076431.ece

To be fair, I don't think Obama was ever particularly enamoured by Israel so the faux pax by Bibi is being used as an opportunity to express long held reservations about Israel.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by MyJoe: 11:07am On Mar 26, 2010
4 Play:

To be fair, I don't think Obama was ever particularly enamoured by Israel so the faux pax by Bibi is being used as an opportunity to express long held reservations about Israel. 

Can you explain this ^^^ position, with facts, please?
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by olaolabiy: 3:41am On Apr 02, 2010
it is a worry that most of you here understand nothing about international politics.hence your lay man's posts.
Re: United Kingdom Has Sent Israeli Ambassador Home by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 02, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Israel must be ashamed of itself for being a state sponsor of terrorism and forging UK passports.

I beg your pardon, Hamas and Hizbullah are terrorists outfits whose sole goal is the total destruction of Israel and therefore Israel is justified in taking them out one by one.

As for the Palestine issue only God can resolve that one.

And I know the UK too well, they will do nothing about Israel this is just public noise making for the media.

(1) (Reply)

Global Warming / Afro 'The occupation Video' / The Men Behind The Anti - Muslim Film

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.