Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

We All Fell For This...pix - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We All Fell For This...pix (7966 Views)

Why Were The Eagles Not Excited In This Pix? / LAUTECH Investigates Death Of Final Year Student Who Fell Into Soakaway (Photo) / What Is Wrong With This Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We All Fell For This...pix by irepnaija4eva(m): 9:42pm On Nov 17, 2017
Call your headmistress and teachers and ask for a refund..

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by UbanmeUdie: 9:44pm On Nov 17, 2017
shocked
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by coldsummer: 9:49pm On Nov 17, 2017
Knew what it meant ever since though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Lekan111(m): 9:51pm On Nov 17, 2017
When did they changed it?. Buhari is the head of state I.e president

10 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Lekan111(m): 9:52pm On Nov 17, 2017
When did they changed it?. Buhari is the head of state I.e president

2 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 17, 2017
I fell for it and even broke my......

3 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by ikorodureporta: 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2017
undecided never too late to learn

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by TheHistorian(m): 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2017
Even a reasonable percentage of top Nigeria writers are guilty of this.

Isn't it funny I'm realising it just now too?

BTW...Shame on all English Professors who couldn't come out to rectify this widely perpetuated error.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Reptyle(m): 11:19pm On Nov 17, 2017
irepnaija4eva:

Your teachers were actually correct and whoever wrote that stuff you posted is wrong.

Both e.g and i.e are abbreviated Latin phrases.

E.g = exempli gratia = "for example"

I.e = Id est = "that is"

141 Likes 8 Shares

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by joelfm(m): 11:55pm On Nov 17, 2017
E.g. vs. I.e.–What’s the Difference?

GRAMMARLY · Writing
I.e. and e.g. are both Latin abbreviations. E.g. stands for exempli gratia and means “for example.” I.e. is the abbreviation for id est and means “in other words.” Remember that E is for example (e.g.) and that I and E are the first letters of in essence, an alternative English translation of i.e.

But why bother with all this Latin? Don’t we have enough abbreviations in English?

Think about it. How would you feel if you got a text message that ended in SWAK? Many of the parents who took a quiz on texting acronyms weren’t sure what it meant. While some teenagers may laugh a little at the older generation’s inability to master texting lingo, the truth is that many of them would be hard-pressed to explain the difference between i.e. and e.g. Now you know the basics, but let’s get into the nitty-gritty of what everyone from student to professional writer needs to know about these meaningful letters.

E.g. vs . I.e. Difference

What Does E.g. Mean?

Once again, e.g. is short for exempli gratia, a Latin phrase that means “for the sake of example.” As you may guess, you use it to introduce one or more examples. Don’t worry about listing every possibility; e.g. is used to introduce a few examples, not a complete list.

And now for some examples of e.g.:

Should that happen to poor, as-yet unaffected places (e.g., most of South Asia and Africa) the suffering can be great. —“WHO rejects calls to move Olympics over Zika fears”

There’s a common view that Malcolm Turnbull’s ‘30-minute city’ is yet another slight variation on the many terms we already have for a more sustainable urban form e.g. compact city, walkable city, smart growth, new urbanism, urban consolidation. —“Is Turnbull’s ’30-minute city’ a serious election issue?”

What Does I.e. Mean?

What about i.e.? A lot of people confuse this expression with e.g., but this one does not have to do with listing examples. I.e.’s Latin origin is the phrase id est, which translates to English as “that is to say” or “in other words.” Here’s a trick to remember this: associate the I of i.e. with the I of “in other words.” Alternately, imagine that the I and E stand for “in essence.”

And now, let’s take a look at i.e. in action:

[What privilege] would allow them to refuse to answer investigators’ questions? Only one: the Fifth Amendment privilege—i.e., the refusal to answer on the grounds that truthful responses might be incriminating. — “How to Read the IG Report”

Besides math and crossword puzzles, I am passionate about self-supported bicycle touring, i.e., traveling hundreds and thousands of miles on a bike with all my camping gear and other supplies. —The New York Times

How to Use E.g. and I.e. in Writing

E.g. and i.e. are both lowercase when they show up in the middle of a sentence (i.e., like this). Most American style guides recommend a period after both letters in both abbreviations.

In general, you add a comma after e.g. and between each subsequent example if there is more than one item in your list. If you want your examples or your narrowing-down set apart from the rest of the sentence, you can enclose e.g. and i.e., along with the examples associated with them, in parentheses.

Even though exempli gratia and id est are both Latin (and therefore italicized), no need to put e.g. or i.e. in italics when they’re in abbreviated form. Abbrevs are all about keeping things quick and easy, after all.

Let’s recap.

E.g. is used to give one or more possible examples. It’s a signal that you’re seeing one or a few of multiple possibilities.

I.e, on the other hand, clarifies; you are providing more precise information. Where e.g. opens up more options, i.e. narrows them down.

Compare these two examples:

After work, I’ll walk over to that new sports arena, i.e., Thunderdome.
After work, I’ll walk over to a sports arena, e.g., Thunderdome or Victory Court.
In the first example, you are clarifying that Thunderdome is the exact arena that you will visit. In the second example, you will visit Thunderdome, Victory Court, or any other sports arena.

Now you have a response if a teen teases you about your lack of texting expertise. You can ask her to tell you the words behind some abbreviations that you understand (e.g., id est). FYI (i.e., for your information), SWAK means “sealed with a kiss.”

11 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 18, 2017
Those abbreviations were Latin words. Our teachers were actually right. wink

5 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by olalekan90(m): 12:02am On Nov 18, 2017
Sorry to derail this thread..kindly follow my company on Instagram: presidentpaintsofficial.
God bless

1 Like

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by SIRTee15: 2:28am On Nov 18, 2017
You are wrong...
Your teachers were actually correct...

3 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Macgreat(m): 3:43am On Nov 18, 2017
Nigerian Educational system

We need positive change , not the one Nigerian voted.
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Nobody: 5:08am On Nov 18, 2017
Mynd44, lalasticlala this is worth seeing grin grin
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by IamtherealRita(f): 6:39am On Nov 18, 2017
Nairaland babies every where

grin
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by femi4: 6:41am On Nov 18, 2017
irepnaija4eva:
you are wrong.

E.g = Example

I.e = That is
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by DONADAMS(m): 7:19am On Nov 18, 2017
lol
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by 9jaBloke: 7:31am On Nov 18, 2017
Reptyle:

Your teachers were actually correct and whoever wrote that stuff you posted is wrong.

I.e = Id est = "that is"

Heaven bless you.

7 Likes

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by isiaqool(m): 7:55am On Nov 18, 2017
Reptyle:

I.e = Id est = "that is"
Thanks jare for d enlightment,nairalander don fall for the one above

1 Like

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by JAMESOJAY: 7:56am On Nov 18, 2017
I went to the American Embassy in abuja on the 16th of Nov and was not given a visa..my passport just has 5months to expire and am married but my international Passport says am single .i want to reapply in Lagos on the third week of Dec..Is there gonna be a problem with that?Please I need help please

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Paulpaulpaul(m): 8:14am On Nov 18, 2017
JAMESOJAY:
I went to the American Embassy in abuja on the 16th of Nov and was not given a visa..my passport just has 5months to expire and am married but my international Passport says am single .i want to reapply in Lagos on the third week of Dec..Is there gonna be a problem with that?Please I need help please

The more you doctor your information the less chances of travelling. Your personal data and reason for travelling is with them from the first Visa interview. I can't pre-judge, just try again

1 Like

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by ZACHIE: 8:44am On Nov 18, 2017
what did you smoke?

I.e. and e.g. are both abbreviations for Latin terms. I.e. stands for id est and means roughly "that is." E.g. stands for exempli gratia, which means “for example.”

check check
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Uyi168: 8:47am On Nov 18, 2017
u probably schooled in the north,my teacher never taught me this...

1 Like

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Readwarn(m): 8:54am On Nov 18, 2017
I will not fall for this picture..that is and for example are both correct. no dey bobo us fr here grin

1 Like

Re: We All Fell For This...pix by JAMESOJAY: 9:19am On Nov 18, 2017
Ok can I try next month?
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Sexytemi(f): 9:39am On Nov 18, 2017
Na wa o, am I the only one whose mind went straight to "that is" when I saw I.e before seeing the right meaning
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by sainty2k3(m): 10:42am On Nov 18, 2017
Its still same thing. Similar meaning
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Nobody: 11:25am On Nov 18, 2017
Have always wondered how i.e means that is. Thanks OP
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by ObinnaVal93(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2017
irepnaija4eva:

what's d difference b/w 'in essence' and 'that is'...abii 'example given' and 'for example'... mtchheeww.. smh..guy go relax one place u dey find talk...
Re: We All Fell For This...pix by Coldplay007(f): 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
OP... Liar liar, pants on fire.

I.e. and e.g. are both abbreviations for Latin terms. I.e. stands for id est and means roughly "that is." E.g. stands for exempli gratia, which means “for example.”Mar 5, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

OAU Unveils 2013 NUGA Logo And Mascot, Games Starts Oct. 2 / Meet The Only Man In The World Who Owns A Plot On The Moon (Photos) / Ekiti To Shut Down Brothel Near School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.