Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Between Sleeving And Half Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Between Sleeving And Half Engine? (3732 Views)

How Much Is Half Engine And Top For Infinity QX4 / Half Engine And Gear For 03 Camry 2AZ FE / NIO Launches ES8 All-Electric SUV That Cost Half The Price Of Tesla's Model X (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by OShepherd: 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2017
Good day house! Can any AutoGuru in d house shed lights(merits&demerits) of sleeving(ringing) versus Half Engine(borale in local slangs)? Let's be enlightened more Sirs
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by Lexusgs430: 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2017
OShepherd:
Good day house! Can any AutoGuru in d house shed lights(merits&demerits) of sleeving(ringing) versus Half Engine(borale in local slangs)? Let's be enlightened more Sirs

Buy a better replacement ..... (with warranty)
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by praxisnetworks: 1:28pm On Nov 18, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Buy a better replacement ..... (with warranty)
What's wrong with a rebuild?
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by Lexusgs430: 1:30pm On Nov 18, 2017
praxisnetworks:

What's wrong with a rebuild?

Are you sure how well built, its rebuilt ? Was engine skimmed properly, automatically or guess work ?
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by timifakay(m): 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
OShepherd:

Sleeving is not the same thing as ringing.
Sleeving is when a cylinder is worn or cracked or damaged and it is expanded to accept a sleeve which replaces the former inner surface.
Ringing is a change of the oil rings on the pistons because they are worn out and now allow oil to sip into the combustion chamber.
Half engine is quite self explanatory - half engine.

Do you plan to do any of the above stated?
If yes, what vehicle model and year?

3 Likes

Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by praxisnetworks: 4:47pm On Nov 18, 2017
timifakay:

Sleeving is when a cylinder is worn or cracked or damaged and it is expanded to accept a sleeve which replaces the former inner surface.
Ringing is a change of the oil rings on the pistons because they are worn out and now allow oil to sip into the combustion chamber.

What's with this your over sabi
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by nams77: 7:51pm On Nov 19, 2017
praxisnetworks:

What's with this your over sabi
The over sabi don make me know the difference between ringing and sleeving. We are all here to learn. I tire for some people sef. Thumbs up timifakay

9 Likes

Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:06pm On Nov 19, 2017
timifakay:

bad ass astute demeanor, I tuale for u sir

1 Like

Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by adejide2: 4:31pm On Jan 31, 2020
timifakay:

Can I do ringing for my Toyota Highlander v6 2004 that is allowing oil to sip into the combustion chamber, wetting ignition plugs and putting stress on the fuel pump?
Waiting for quick response. Thanks.
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by adanny01(m): 6:01pm On Jan 31, 2020
adejide2:

Can I do ringing for my Toyota Highlander v6 2004 that is allowing oil to sip into the combustion chamber, wetting ignition plugs and putting stress on the fuel pump?

There are 3 major ways oil gets to the combustion chamber.

Worn out rings
Worn out sleeve
Bad valve stem seal.

Worn out sleeve is the worst of them. You have to determine which issue is the one you face. Some engines are cheap and are not worth the sleeving trouble while some are so expensive that sleeving gives you a cheap means to have the engine running. Getting a good machinist is also a challenge.

1 Like

Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by timifakay(m): 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2020
adejide2:

Yes, you can if your mechanic does it...
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by helpishere(m): 4:05am On Feb 01, 2020
timifakay:

2011 range Rover sport
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by timifakay(m): 9:30pm On Feb 01, 2020
helpishere:

2011 range Rover sport

LeJeun3, how far?
Re: Between Sleeving And Half Engine? by LeJeun3: 9:52am On Feb 02, 2020
helpishere:

2011 range Rover sport

I have arrived. Happy New Month.....

Please do not sleeve that engine. It is an aluminium block and never ends well! Replace the block entirely or buy half an engine.

But I would ask, what exactly is making you consider sleeving the engine??

Come to the DM for more....08099725628

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Ascent Or Toyota Matrix / The Untapped Business Of Car Parking Lots In Lagos / My Plans For A Nissan Murano... NISSAN GURUS COME IN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.