Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,811 members, 7,851,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:24 AM

Online Monitoring - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Online Monitoring (614 Views)

Easy Network/bandwidth Monitoring / New Election Monitoring Site Gathering Steam / Nigerian Election Monitoring Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Monitoring by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 24, 2010
Can anyone kindly explain what 'Online Monitoring' means?

Thanx.
Re: Online Monitoring by Nobody: 8:15am On Mar 24, 2010
it is a vague term. But one of the meaning is, possibly you have a company that you wish to monitor whenever you
are out of the country (thinking back of a software i made for one Emenet company like that back then), i created
an intranet application for taking care of all their transactions, and since it was intranet, it cannot be accessed over
the world wide web. So the owner wants a means of being able to watch the transaction details over the internet.
So we needed to add a module that will be able to connect thru an internet server to their intranet office - that is
also called online monitoring.
2. It can also be applied to a situation whereby you can monitor what is going on inside a computer in your house
from elsewhere on the world-wide web. Like some of these softwares parents can use to watch what their kids are
doing on their pcs. Some of these softwares are installed silently and have no visible user interface. Like some sophisticated
cybercafe's have them here in Nigeria, that they can use to pick on what any client is doing, there are plenty of these
kinda softwares on the web. That can be used over the internet too. In a way rather similar to windows remote desktop
3. Some people apply it to monitoring the live events taking place on their websites such as how many visitors are online,
how many searches are going on, and the various events taking place all over the websites - best used for big portals.

. . .like i said earlier, online monitoring is a vague or rather big word that can mean loads of things. And so i hope i have convinced
you rather than confuse you that online monitoring is a vague word that can mean loads of things. Thank you.
Re: Online Monitoring by OmniPotens(m): 8:25am On Mar 24, 2010
I think if he needs a better answer then if should specify what he wants to monitor online. Saw it earlier but that term was so vast to know where to come in from.
Re: Online Monitoring by Nobody: 8:37am On Mar 24, 2010
@dhtml . You won the debate. grin
Re: Online Monitoring by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 24, 2010
@dhtml, thanx for the info

@OmniPotens, it has to do with a web development project.

@chipmunkey, no debate here o!
Re: Online Monitoring by OmniPotens(m): 10:16am On Mar 24, 2010
I think you should then choose the option 3 outlined by *dhtml

*dhtml:

3. Some people apply it to monitoring the live events taking place on their websites such as how many visitors are online,
how many searches are going on, and the various events taking place all over the websites - best used for big portals.

(1) (Reply)

Yawatide - Thanks For Your Pointers / A Very Good Php/mysql Programmer Wanted In Port Harcourt / Any Jquery Xpert In D House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.