Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Exclusive Interview With "Vanessa Jackson" A South African Veteran Singer - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Exclusive Interview With "Vanessa Jackson" A South African Veteran Singer (370 Views)

JUST IN: Veteran Singer Sound Sultan Has Passed Away / Just In: Ailing Legendary & Veteran Singer, Sally Young Undergoes Treatment / What Is The Difference Between The Exclusive And Concurrent List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Exclusive Interview With "Vanessa Jackson" A South African Veteran Singer by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 19, 2017
SouthAfrican Iconic singer , Vanessa Jackson , tells I.A.M Olaoluwa about her career, how she relaxes and her love life​, The 35 years old Vanessa Jackson is a famous KZN [Newlands East] Born songwriter, composer with amazing vocal born 22'11'1982.
Vanesa jackson has contributed her talents to various commercially successful house singles. She has a beautiful mind that enables her to create and write timeless lyrics. Her musical journey started in 2004 with EMI, she then continued to write and seeing for various producers and artists.

Vanessa disclosed some really interesting things about her music and upbringing.
Enjoy excerpt of the interview below.
When and why did you start singing?
I had a love for music from primary school- I used to record songs on TDK cassettes and I owend a radio.I spent my days listening to the songs that I would record on radio then write them in a book and learn the words.
I used to lend out NY sing book in school and charge the girls R2.I used that money to keep buying empty cassette to expand my collection.
Which instruments do you play also is your family musical?
My dad played guitar.Not professionally but he owned 1 and i was very in love with it.
Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
My favourite artists are Bob Marley,Lauren Hill,Toni Braxton,Dolly Parton,Angelique Kidjo,I love artists who use music to send messages or tell stories with deep story lines.
Which famous musicians have you learned from? Angelique Kidjo has inspired me in many ways. To a point where my 1st singles is actually a remix of her original track that she released under Warner Bothers in 1992 I changed the beat and resang the lyrics I love the story line of the track and find it highly motivating The message of "Its OK to be different" and never allow your surroundings or living conditions to determine your future meant a lot to me and motivated me to think outside the box.
Who was your first teacher and What was the first tune(s) you learned?
I don't teach music
Are you in any marriage?
I'm single with 1 daughter.
What are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
I grew up in a coloured community called New lands East in Durban(KwaZulu Natal)I perform for different type of audiences- different races,ages So I don't focus on 1 ganre or style of music I'm a lyricist and write different types of music but the demand from productions are mainly House music(Deep house,soul,afro house) Dance music,urban pop & funk.I'm constantly writing daily,telling stories which I turn into songs I do music as a full time career.
Do you attend sessions?
I attends Listening sessions,Recording sessions,Jamming sessions.
How can a great session be spotted?
Yes, good session is based on the type of energy.Positive vibes and passion is what makes a great session U can feel immediately if some1 loves music or if they force to do it because of money.
How did you feel coming only on stage to face the crowd?
No matter how bug or small the crowd or budget. I love what I do so much that i m ever ready to take the mic, Each crowd expects a different vibe Stadium and out door will want to party and that's when I dish out dance and house music Hotel gigs are reserved- so it Jazz,soul,R&B and mix it upeith Reggae and deep house Corporate gigs are normally for year end closing parties & awards-so its legendary and classic music.
Upon critics on social media,Did you still read entertainment news or scared to see bad comment about you online?
No matter any critics i cant stay away from media, I try best to stay well informed about all types of music and remain current.Apart from my original productions I also perform covers I am a musician so I never limit myself ,I love connecting with people.
Did you get nervous?
I don't get nervous thank God.But if I see the crowd is a bit hard or stubborn I just start doing acappella of well know tracks to connect with them- once I get them singing along I know I have won them over--Thats when I start my originals
How do you handle mistakes during a performance? Mistake re ignored. You just carry on and blend it with your performance, the audience don't even recognize.
How do you balance your music with other obligations - mate, children, job?
I relocated to Gauteng & family lives in KZN. I visit monthly & use social media for communication & video calling daily
Who is your celebrity crush? Ferral
What would you change your name to even if you will ?
I won't change my name
What's your one annoying habit?
I dont like Smoking and smokers.
What advice would you give to beginners who 're nervous?
Just think of the fact that you are created in Gods image.God is great so that greatness is within you. hear this fabulous voice and compare it to any Nigeria celebrity voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKz5N8Sxi4I

via: http://n18s.com/exclusive-interview-with-vanessa-jackson-a-south-african-veteran-singer/
Re: Exclusive Interview With "Vanessa Jackson" A South African Veteran Singer by Nobody: 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2017
Fabulous

(1) (Reply)

Snake Everywhere / 2017 Future Awards Africa Winners! / 20 NYSC Corps Members Get Extension Of Service In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.