Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Co-signer - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Co-signer (632 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Co-signer by Confuse10(f): 3:11pm On Mar 24, 2010
I co-signed my BF for an AUTO. But my question is, Is there anyway i can take my name off of it? Especially when we are not so sure if we be able to work out our relationship.
Re: Co-signer by tessybrown(m): 3:18pm On Mar 24, 2010
http://ladieshood.waphall.com has it aLL U Can CHECK On it.
Re: Co-signer by KunleA2(m): 3:22pm On Mar 24, 2010
Confuse10:

I co-signed my BF for an AUTO. But my question is, Is there anyway i can take my name off of it? Especially when we are not so sure if we be able to work out our relationship.  

Unfortunately not!. Until the debt/obligation is fulfilled, you are on the hook. If for some reason it doesn't work out, both of you guys will be responsible. Just hope that he keeps making the payment and he doesn't default on the loan.

As a matter of fact, his control on the car superceeds yours. The finance company will only revert to you IF he defaults. You are the guarantor.

What you can do, is see if its possible for him to sign over the car to you and you finish payment so as to be sure that it doesn't ruin your credit. But as of now, there's no easy answer.

As far as the DMV is concerned, HE OWNS THE CAR

As far as Bank/Finance Co is concerned, HE OWNS THE CAR UNTIL HE DOESN'T PAY, THEN THEY COME GET THE MONEY FROM YOU!.  undecided

Bummer. Sorry
Re: Co-signer by Confuse10(f): 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2010
(http://ladieshood.waphall.com/) Sorry but i don't think that has anything to do with being the CO-signer. Just some dating site
Re: Co-signer by Confuse10(f): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2010
That sucks, guess i have to make him sign it over to me if that would be possible. shocked
Re: Co-signer by KunleA2(m): 3:42pm On Mar 24, 2010
Hope he's kind enof to do that. And that he has another car to drive undecided
Re: Co-signer by sultaan(m): 7:25pm On Mar 24, 2010
First rule of personal finance, never cosign for no one, not even sibblings.
I have seen a guy struggling with 2 note ending up with one more because a gf he cosigned for defaulted.
This is the point when you need a lawyer friend , or get one.

It depend on how the loan was given, and car titled ,both names on loan, one on title.*

The name(s) on loan own the debt obligation, name on title owns car.If he defaults they come after you for the money, but he still owns the car.
Consider the car his present/benefit from you no matter how long the relationship lasts, hope its a cheap used car(or he is worth it)

2 ways I think you can get out of this is.
1, Refinance in his own name(not happening if he can't get it in first place)
2, Sell car pay off loan.

Possibly when he defaults depending on (*) and loan going into forclosure, talk to finance company to sell you the car(instead of auction)
with a guarantee of clean credit report(although they will have to reposses the car first.

Read the link, if you don't have notification on status of payment, check every 2 month so you are first to know when this start going wrong

http://www.lemonlaws.com/2007/06/dangers_of_cosigning_an_auto_l_1.html

What in the world are you doing with a man with no credit(financial repossibility), if this ends bad you may be tainted with a Financial STD for 7-10 years

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Vboot For Sale / Just Like Toks[full Optioned]honda Accord 99/2000 For N830k Banix 08035376690 / Need A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.