Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,484 members, 7,836,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money (703 Views)

Husband Bathed Wife And Children With Acid In Katsina And Ran Away (Photos) / I Ran Away To Libya To Escape My Dad’s Sexual Demands —returnee / Soldier Who Ran Away Because Of Boko Haram Arrested For Snatching Car (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Bullhari: 7:43pm On Nov 22, 2017
Fellow nairalanders I need your advice here.
I work with a form that installs alarms, CCTV, Biometric Devices and other gadgets.
we basically bring in these devices from China and most of the times we buy from online stores. This has made me to become familiar with some errand boys and delivery agents especially Jumia.
I also do some online sales, i purchase anything I see online (especially household items) and resale them to stores around me. I have some teachers who I supply to whenever I can.

Now my reason for seeking advice.
Last June I came across this tablet on Jumia ( I have been tracking it for sometime anyway, ordered previously and was refunded.), this day the item appeared on flash sale, and the price fell from 48,000 to 35,000. I was so happy and jumped on it, but my bank decided to play tricks on me that day as they failed to authorize my online payment. I tried my colleague's own and it was the same, the 3rd guy in the office didn't activate online banking. I tried every possible person I could think of but non worked out fine till I had only one option left. Since it was a flash sale, I was up against time as well.
that option was the Jumia agent that delivers items to us. we had built a very good rapport since he delivers items to us at least once a week. Both my personal orders and the office orders he had been the one delivering them. many times he would be the one to monitor prices of items we usually order and tell us whenever there is reduction or even give us free coupons. we on our own side reciprocated by creating multi packages to increase his allowance per order.
I called this guy, his name is Joseph Okoawo. he agreed to make the payment on my behalf. and I quickly transferred the money. he also told me of some other items that I do order that has free coupons and I showed interest.
He said he ordered them with his account and I quickly asked him for the order number so that I could track them. (the items are on Jumia global, so it's pay before delivery).
From the moment I asked for the order number, he started dodging. he tried to reassure me that the he can track it. I kept disturbing him till 6days later, when the other items I ordered were delivered by another person. I quickly inquired of the whereabouts of Mr Joseph and was told he no longer worked with Jumia. so I called him, and told him that I already knew what he did. He said he tried to bring some of the items the previous day but couldn't locate my house and his battery was dead to call. someone who even delivers my goods in my absence, he knows some of my family members who receive my items from him.
So I continued to persuade him to pay my money and he insisted he ordered the goods till the 40th day. he then accepted that the money was refunded but that he was given a cheque by the agent he ordered through and the cheque is post dated.
he stopped calling and his number was turned off for over some time. one day in august, the new delivery guy called me and told me that Joseph called him to ask for my phone number which he gave him since he is aware of the issue at hand. Joseph later called and begged me to forgive him, he said I had been so good to him and because of that he promise to pay the money back. I haven't heard from him since then.
By September 3rd, I went to see the Jumia fleet manager of our zone and I learnt that I wasn't the only victim. But surprisingly he failed to do anything except asking us to wait till he contacts them, they will appeal to his conscience.
I was directed to his closest friend who assured me that he just have some issues that made him act that way. That he already refunded the 1st man that reported. He gave me his own phone number and asked me to chat him up on WhatsApp.
up till date all efforts to reach Joseph has failed. Jumia fleet manager claims he has no information about him, including his address and that of his guarantor.
The money in question is over 40k. I talked to a police agent and he said I need to get his address or it would be costly if they have to use his account details to track him. please what next should i do to get Jumia to release information about him. as soon as I do, I will move to arrest him.
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Bullhari: 7:45pm On Nov 22, 2017
lalasticlala seun mynd44 pls let the people see this
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by nas4q(m): 8:11pm On Nov 22, 2017
Front-page material
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Lovetinz(m): 8:12pm On Nov 22, 2017
It's not Jumia's problem. It's a matter between you and your 'friend'.

You need to lodge a Proper Entry at the Police station. The police knows how to get a somebody who knows a somebody that knows his address.

If you or the police can find him and neither you nor the police can persuade him to refund your money (he might not have it), you might have to forget the money as the last option will be for you to file a claim in a court.
I don't think you will be willing to do that to recover 40k.
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Mrkumareze(m): 8:21pm On Nov 22, 2017
You acted with trust so it has nothing to do with the company . I suggest you give him more time. The money is too small to involve police or going to court .I guess you happened to be his saviour at that point u sent the money .
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by vchykp(m): 9:11pm On Nov 22, 2017
you just have to move on, i was duped of 470k, i have the persons pix and teller for evidece, his brother contested for political post in lagos island as at nov 2016(irede 2016), i have good evidence to nail him, but finally i have to move on, it was hard to move on, bt am blessed now... move on..!
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Gentlevin: 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2017
@op.....if u can get more info on how to locate him then do so.........well it may not be easy to collect d cash. Its a lesson u have leant. Next time buy directly on your own from d site so that in case of refund, u would have no problem .......TRUST NO ONE NO MATTER HOW LONG U HAVE KNOWN D PERSON.....difficulties in life can make a good man turn bad.....
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Bullhari: 11:40pm On Nov 22, 2017
Lovetinz:
It's not Jumia's problem. It's a matter between you and your 'friend'.

You need to lodge a Proper Entry at the Police station. The police knows how to get a somebody who knows a somebody that knows his address.

If you or the police can find him and neither you nor the police can persuade him to refund your money (he might not have it), you might have to forget the money as the last option will be for you to file a claim in a court.
I don't think you will be willing to do that to recover 40k.

am just considering the points you raised. You know our Police and their system of operations.

But from they way those Jumia guys are acting, I feel they know something about his whereabouts. They even know his new work place
Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by Bullhari: 11:44pm On Nov 22, 2017
vchykp:
you just have to move on, i was duped of 470k, i have the persons pix and teller for evidece, his brother contested for political post in lagos island as at nov 2016(irede 2016), i have good evidence to nail him, but finally i have to move on, it was hard to move on, bt am blessed now... move on..!

People get mind ooo. Oluwa go bless our hustle bro

1 Like

Re: How Joseph Okoawo Of Jumia Ran Away With My Money by vchykp(m): 4:15am On Nov 23, 2017
Bullhari:

People get mind ooo. Oluwa go bless our hustle bro
lolx.. thats human for you, i am better now

(1) (Reply)

Big Cat Poacher Is Mauled To Death And EATEN By The Pride Of Lions / BREAKING!!! Ikoyi Prison Security System Hijacked By A Fire Arms Suspect Inmate / Breaking News :scores Died While Scooping Fuel From NNPC Pipeline In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.