Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,251 members, 7,953,938 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:23 AM

Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) (48027 Views)

Canadian Who Wants Both A Vagina & Penis Wins Funding For Surgery (Photos) / FG Shuts Down Med Contour Plastic Surgery Facility After Botched Surgery (photos / OHAI Changed The Life Of A 72-Year-Old Woman Through Surgery (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

lol I guess am a hypocrite. Just do your best my dear,naija will get better,the medical profession will improve but we must all do our best to achieve this,look beyond the non existent thank you's you don't get from us,the vilification and insults,or what you went thru in school to become a doctor,be the difference,maybe we the lesser mortals will walk in your footsteps
thanks, for everything, i really appreciate it. Gotta sleep, i am on call tomorrow. Goodnight
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
thanks, for everything, i really appreciate it. Gotta sleep, i am on call tomorrow. Goodnight
same here,good night

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 23, 2017
adecz:
shocked Have a female friend who went through this exact experience.
She had hip surgery & awoke during the operation, feeling all the cuts, pulls & tears!!
When u are under anaesthetic & muscle relaxants, you can't move or talk, so, unless an extremely vigilant attendant notices, you are strictly alone to face this unimaginable horror & pain.
This is all part of the fake drugs Dora Akinyuli (God bless her soul) fought against.
I suspect some of these anaesthetics are sourced at giveaway prices from either India or China.
The patient "pays".....
also went through the same thing some weeks back I felt all the pains but couldn't move a muscle cos of the muscles relaxants I don't know why it's like that now I'm even scared of surgery

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by fippycbk(m): 11:32pm On Nov 23, 2017
Anyone seen the movie Awake? Exact same scenario.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by sexymamatee(f): 11:33pm On Nov 23, 2017
[quote author=adecz post=62654455] shocked

When u are under anaesthetic & muscle
relaxants, you can't move or talk, so, unless
an extremely vigilant attendant notices, you
are strictly alone to face this unimaginable
horror & pain.

anaesthetic only kills pain, while muscle relaxants numb you from your waist down to your feet.

I have been through 2 CS, and I can vividly remember that during my first CS I was awake, and I was seeing how they were moving their hands to cut me.

And again it was an emergency so throughout the CS, I was praying, Singing, quoting some Bible verse( it wasn't a funny situation because that period I couldnt even say a complete bible verse, once I don't remember the remaining lines I jump into another verse)

I didn't stop singing, praying asking for God mercies till I saw them bring out my beautiful damsel.

but to the glory of God he came through for us. we are both alive and healthy.

but trust me I feel the OP pains. because after the numbness is gone. and you no go try to cough, laugh cos u won't want to cause your self pain.

and the pain well you want to stand up. omaaaaaa can't be express.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by lazygal: 12:05am On Nov 24, 2017
NiRfreak:
This is sheer incompetence and ineptitude. Olodo doctors. The psychological trauma it caused you should tell u they erred in their anaesthetic protocol and mgt

My dear this happened to me in a hospital in garki ,abuja .I woke up 3 times! During an operation they had to put someone stand by so that any time I wake up they reinject me can u imagine the sheer incompetence !
Till date when I think of it I feel so much pain in my heart
Imagine your stomach wide open ..I have never felt so much inscruciating pain ..it is undescripable ....

Hmmmm the incompetency in this country is unbelievable
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by BlizzydoDo(f): 12:51am On Nov 24, 2017
Same thing happened to me last year, I was praying to die sef. D pain was something else, unexplainable.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by lebete3000: 12:55am On Nov 24, 2017
Had this happened in a developed country that Anesthesiologist's licence is gone...
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 1:39am On Nov 24, 2017
Jaygrl:
Excuse me Oga,it is only a doctor that is licensed to certify a patient dead.
As if I don't know.

Make una sit down there dey speak English. It seems you people don't know anything.

I swear I no fit start typing epistles and stories. Maybe if I'd done that you'd understand the failed system you're in. (Nigeria).

I'm telling you the fact about how Lives that could have been saved are left to perish daily you're talking about ethics.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 1:41am On Nov 24, 2017
HillsBlaze:

U ave to understand the workings of the hospital, no nurse will send anyone to a mortuary without death being certified.
Maybe you hold a grudge against nurses, who knows.

As if I don't know.

So, you think I framed up the story?
Make una sit down there dey speak English. It seems you people don't know anything.
I swear I no fit start typing epistles and stories. Maybe if I'd done that you'd understand the failed system you're in. (Nigeria).
I'm telling you the fact about how Lives that could have been saved are left to perish daily you're talking about ethics.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by nefertitiram: 2:31am On Nov 24, 2017
kendrace:
Happened to me.. was awake all through but couldn't move or open my eyes.. it was crazy

Happened to me too. The epidural didnt work during my cs. I felt every single cut until they brought the baby out. I nearly jumped off the operating table, but couldn't move but I was wriggling so much, the doc asked the anesthesiologist to increase the epidural dose. He said that was the highest they could give a human being so the used GA to knock me out before they could stitch me back.

Till today, I have this pain in my lower back where the epidural was given.

Meanwhile... This wasn't in naija o. The CS I had in naija was less traumatizing. It was GA from the get go, and I woke up after the procedure. I don't know who invented the spinal/epidural. Why will I want to be awake and scared during a surgery?
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Acidosis(m): 4:04am On Nov 24, 2017
The world really needs to invest more on pharmaceutical research. If we find alternatives to most of these surgical procedures, I think these issues will reduce.

The experience of the concerned on this thread is terrifying!! I have never really understood why people run away from surgery and why some travel abroad for treatments.

The average Nigerians today prefer to visit Pharmacy stores because of Phobia for Nigerian Hospitals. As "old" as I am sef, I avoid syringe as much as possible. I don't trust anyone with a syringe, I just have this feeling that whoever is applying it can knock off my muscles, veins, etc.

If drug won't do it, then I better leave it for God. The knowledge that a lot of people left the surgical bed with increased problems is enough to avoid some surgical procedures.

These experiences cut across even Dental care. A lot of people have had terrifying experiences in the hands of Nigerian dentists. I have a brother who almost passed out after a dentist tried to uproot a tooth with a very poor procedure. He spent minutes rolling on the floor . Gosh!
I have read more terrifying experiences on Nairaland. If by tomorrow now, Nigerians start patronizing native medicine vendors, the government won't understand "why".

I also read a story on how a man got his arm amputated after a failed POP in one of these state hospitals. POP was applied on an infected 'fractured' arm. Nobody knew what was happening beneath the POP until the man began to noticed this very soft portion of the pop. Upon getting to the hospital, POP was immediately pulled off but alas! They saw a decayed arm!

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 4:43am On Nov 24, 2017
kendrace:
Happened to me.. was awake all through but couldn't move or open my eyes.. it was crazy
The anesthetic that keeps you sedated (asleep ) failed hence you were aware of your environment but the anesthetic that paralyse the muscles was still effective hence not being able to move or talk.
Must have been a frightening experience.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by MissRaine69(f): 4:48am On Nov 24, 2017
This happens a lot more than people think and it’s not something that’s unique to Nigeria only , intraoperative recall is the proper name. Some people can recall every detail while others are vaguely aware. It’s not necessarily the fault of the anesthetist all the time so you can’t apportion blame on human error alone.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by adecz: 5:56am On Nov 24, 2017
lartty:

also went through the same thing some weeks back
I felt all the pains but couldn't move a muscle cos of the muscles relaxants
I don't know why it's like that now I'm even scared of surgery

As in many things in Nigeria, we all
go to Asian countries to source for
cheap alternative products, including drugs.

The sources are cheap but do not meet
Western international standards.

This kind of medical experiences are
becoming more rampant can even cause
death due to shock..
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by thorpido(m): 6:51am On Nov 24, 2017
delishpot:

Me I don't know. She just told us she woke up and was crying. She said they(medical staff attending to her) knew that she was feeling it (pain); and they told her she had to endure that they could not give her more medication. I did not probe further the story tire me. We just happy say she survived. Although she said the pain would last in her memory forever.
It won't be a pleasant experience.Surely it's a pain that won't be forgotten.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Yamprince(m): 7:29am On Nov 24, 2017
Disadvantages of too much alcohol + hard substances....
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Ruhamah23(m): 7:31am On Nov 24, 2017
IYIMAN:

I'm also wondering... The blood pressure and pulse will be high, tearing etc. An average muscle relaxant lasts 20-40 minutes. Maybe there was poor monitoring. Analgesics are supposed to be repeated or combined. Anaesthesia+analgesia+relaxant. Relaxant will call for intubation and controlled ventilation. The story may not be complete until we hear from the anaesthetist.

Yes o....
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 24, 2017
smithsydny:
hey

Yo! wats up?
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by victorDanladi: 10:32am On Nov 24, 2017
Joephat:
Please

This land is for Sale, The topic is rubbish and I am tired of insulting Afonjas..

If you want to buy... Quote me or like me.

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 24, 2017
alexialin:

Yo! wats up?
nice
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 24, 2017
nefertitiram:

Happened to me too. The epidural didnt work during my cs. I felt every single cut until they brought the baby out. I nearly jumped off the operating table, but couldn't move but I was wriggling so much, the doc asked the anesthesiologist to increase the epidural dose. He said that was the highest they could give a human being so the used GA to knock me out before they could stitch me back.

Till today, I have this pain in my lower back where the epidural was given.

Meanwhile... This wasn't in naija o. The CS I had in naija was less traumatizing. It was GA from the get go, and I woke up after the procedure. I don't know who invented the spinal/epidural. Why will I want to be awake and scared during a surgery?

I'm sorry about that... it's a scary process but at least we made it out alive
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2017
MissRaine69:

The anesthetic that keeps you sedated (asleep ) failed hence you were aware of your environment but the anesthetic that paralyse the muscles was still effective hence not being able to move or talk.
Must have been a frightening experience.

I had nightmares mehn . I will never forget that experience .. funny thing is I've gone for surgery about three times after that one..
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by HillsBlaze(m): 12:09am On Nov 25, 2017
OrestesDante:

As if I don't know.

So, you think I framed up the story?

I see.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by jbblues24(m): 6:33am On May 31, 2019
Really slick shot. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anambra Lockdown: What Kwata Junction Awka Looked Like Yesterday Evening (Pix) / Obituary Of A 15-Year-Old Girl Who Died After A Brief Illness (Photos) / 307 New COVID-19 Cases, 151 Discharged And 14 Deaths On May 31 - (1300 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.