Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,897 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Catfish Fish Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Fish Farming (602 Views)

How To Sort Catfish - Fish Farming / Smoked Catfish Fish Thread / For Catfish Fish Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish Fish Farming by SaintMiracs: 7:41pm On Nov 23, 2017
Dear Pals,

Please I have an issue and I need your assistance to resolving it. I booked catfish juvenile 200 pieces, when they arrived it placed inside a big bowl for like three days after which they were introduced to the pond. While I was introducing them I found out that some were dead, then some looks ash in colour but they are still alive. Later after like two days about 20 died again and today about 25 has died.
Please what do I do at this level.
The pond is made of tarpaulin and was treated with poultry waste for two days.
Please can someone with experience advise me here.
Thank you.
Re: Catfish Fish Farming by matrixme(m): 9:19pm On Nov 23, 2017
Why placed in a bowl for 3 days before introducing to the pond? The residual germs on transit or from source had enough time to penetrate their body before you introduced them to the larger tank.
Go and buy aquasirin from fish drugs shop, reduce the water to the bearest minimum, apply like 3 teaspoons or enough initiate an effect on all the fishes. Let them remain in the solution for about 4 hours and then refill water. Apply treatment twice a day. For 2-3days.
Re: Catfish Fish Farming by SaintMiracs: 9:50pm On Nov 23, 2017
@ Matrixme; thank u for ur kind advise. Actually am just a first timer in the fish farming stuff, I was not aware that I have to treat the pond before stocking, so the fish has arrived before the treatment of the pond.
Re: Catfish Fish Farming by ademola1333(m): 9:47pm On Nov 24, 2017
Sorry! You should have made alot of inquiries as a starter. Two days is not enough to cure pond, two weeks is advisable.
You may still need to cure/acclimatize the pond. Considering the current situation, you may need to get KEPRO AQUACOL to save some of them. Do flow-through for the time being. And make sure the pond is not in sun.

1 Like

Re: Catfish Fish Farming by VivaFarm: 7:36am On Nov 25, 2017
Whilst it is not proper to have kept the fishes in a bowl for 3days, I will also suggest you check the following:
1. The quality of your water. The PH resistance level is a vital factor to raising catfish
2. The quantity of feed administered at the point when they where in the bowl. I hope the feed plus their waste wasn't too concentrated in the bowl water.
3. The source of your fish also matters. However it is unlikely that this is the issue given what you explained

These are my 2cents. Please confirm that all is well now. Or you may reach me on 08165305098 for free advisory.

(1) (Reply)

Snails Are Available For Sale @ Growlinks / Coriander Seeds In Ife. / A-z Of Poultry And Fish Farming.(with Feed Production Technique)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.