Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,400 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE (934 Views)

Would Prices Of Cars Be Slashed By Next Month? Xmas Price / ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS Part 2*** / Used Cars Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Jucol(m): 1:38am On Mar 26, 2010
Hello Reader!

[size=14pt]Part 1[/size]

( You may open the word doc attached below for better reading and images)

[size=14pt]Five Questions that could save you a bundle[/size]

Particularly when dealing with private parties (who usually have only one car for you to look at), you'll want to make sure a vehicle is worth your time before you make the drive. Always call first and talk to the owner/driver--other people in the house may note be able to answer all of your questions.

1. Why are you selling the vehicle? You're probably not interested, but a person selling the vehicle because of mechanical problems will often stumble on this question, alerting you to look at the vehicle very carefully.

2. How many miles are on the odometer? Generally speaking, multiply the year age of the vehicle by 15,000. If the vehicle has more miles on it than the product of this equation, the vehicle is usually considered to have high mileage.

3. What condition is the vehicle in? Actually, this should be a series of questions like "how's the body and paint?", "how's the interior?", etc. You'll find the seller's opinion will often differ greatly from yours once you see the vehicle, but you can often discover problems like accident damage. This may save you a trip if you're looking for an unmolested vehicle.

4. What work has been done on the vehicle recently? Sellers often "prepare" a vehicle for sale by performing work they've been meaning to do for a while. This is usually an innocent attempt to make the vehicle look more appealing, but be a bit wary if major work has just been completed. For example, if the engine has just been overhauled, make sure the engine is checked out thoroughly. It's rare, but owners occasionally try to get rid of a vehicle that's showing signs of slipshod workmanship on a major repair.

5. What options does it have? This will actually be a series of questions pertaining to your needs (it's a good idea to make a list before you start making calls). For example, if you need an automatic transmission or air conditioning, make sure you ask whether the vehicle has these options. Ask which engine the vehicle has. A friend may have told you of the great fuel economy of his car, but the same model with a different engine option may not do so well. Always be sure you're making an apples-to-apples comparison.

Find the lemon before you go picking

Let's face it--some car models have been more prone to problems than others. And even within the same model, some model years are better than others. So how can you research this in your search for a reliable used car? One way is to look into Recalls and Service Bulletins. Your own federal government, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has a wealth of information on safety recalls and technical bulletins sorted by vehicle make and model. Go to their website (www.NHTSA.gov) and punch in the models you are thinking about buying.

Recalls are repairs suggested by automobile manufacturers and the NHTSA to ensure the safety or mechanical integrity of your automobile. These repairs are necessitated by some factory defect or oversight, and, as such, they are done free of charge by any new-car dealership authorized to sell the type of car you own. Since a used car owner is usually unaware of a recall, you can find out whether a recall exists by searching the website or by calling NHTSA at 1-800-424-9393. 

PART 2: follow this link: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-419788.0.html#msg5769071 ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS Part 2***
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:35 AM »

Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by akin101: 9:57am On Mar 26, 2010
u are de very man!
thanks for the informative info
kudos to u man
smiley smiley smiley
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by GeorgeD1(m): 1:14pm On Mar 26, 2010
jucol,
another good write up there. thanks.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Onwan: 10:08pm On Mar 26, 2010
@Jucol
This makes total sense. Good job!
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Articlife: 10:21pm On Mar 26, 2010
@Onwan and George D;

Thanks gentlemen. I(Jucol) was actually banned yesterday after spending much time gathering this information. While trying to modify Part 2. I was accused of posting SPAM. This whole banning issue is dictatorial and stupendous.

Meanwhile all the notifications from Nairaland to me end up in my spam folder, yet neither Yahoo nor Mail.com has banned Nairaland.

I have notified the moderator on that and he or she is aware of my new ID too.

The search for knowledge continues.

Cheers

Banned Jucol grin
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Onwan: 10:54pm On Mar 26, 2010
@Moderator
I will really appreciate IF you can tell us exactly why Jucol was banned; If its a software problem or something he posted - kindly clarify.

This input and thread he is creating takes a lot of time, research and care to make happen, and I'm sure there are so many of us who will print these out as guides to buying vehicles.

Please have his ID unbanned or explain what happen to us.

Thanks
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by gestapo(f): 10:58pm On Mar 26, 2010
Artic_life:

@Onwan and George D;

Thanks gentlemen. I(Jucol) was actually banned yesterday after spending much time gathering this information. While trying to modify Part 2. I was accused of posting SPAM. This whole banning issue is dictatorial and stupendous.

Meanwhile all the notifications from Nairaland to me end up in my spam folder, yet neither Yahoo nor Mail.com has banned Nairaland.

I have notified the moderator on that and he or she is aware of my new ID too.

The search for knowledge continues.

Cheers

Banned Jucol grin

No one banned you, moderators don't have the capacity to ban members, it was the SPAM robot that sometimes mistakes long post with numbers and paragraphs as spams, You will be unbanned quickly if you send an email to the administrator.

Cheers

G
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Articlife: 11:16pm On Mar 26, 2010
@Gestapo

Thanks for your concern. I hope the ban/mistake is rectified asap. Someone should re-write the program code then grin

cheers

"Banned" Jucol
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by gestapo(f): 11:21pm On Mar 26, 2010
Artic_life:

@Gestapo

Thanks for your concern. I hope the ban/mistake is rectified asap. Someone should re-write the program code then grin

cheers

"Banned" Jucol

You are welcome, that why we are here to correct the anomalies, mindsets and negative orientations of members especially on the forum.
you can write an email to the admin.

Cheers

G.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Onwan: 11:27pm On Mar 26, 2010
@Gestapo
Thanks for your response. This educates us on how the system works with postings and "banning".
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by GeorgeD1(m): 10:28am On Mar 27, 2010
jucol,
so sorry about this. have you tried writing to seun directly?

this spam bot can be very erratic sometimes. last time i was banned in error, i wrote
directly to seun and he appologised and unbanned me promptly.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Articlife: 10:44am On Mar 27, 2010
Thanks man. I have notified moderator 1.
The ban remains in place till further notice from Commander-in-chief grin grin

cheers

banned Jucol
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by GeorgeD1(m): 11:03am On Mar 27, 2010
jucol,
na wao! this is more serious than i thought.

did they give any particular reasons for upholding the ban?
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Articlife: 11:45am On Mar 27, 2010
No. I sent the mail yesterday. Since I have not been able to post as Jucol today, I assume the ban remains in place till further notice grin. I am quite sure they will fix it.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by GeorgeD1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 27, 2010
jucol,
i'm sure seun will instruct monitor 1 to unban you.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 27, 2010
The authorities have been notified regarding the userid, Jucon. There are several reasons why a userid can be banned including, auto ban by the spam board and excessive violation of forum rules. I'm sure the userid will be reactivated shortly if the ban was due to spam bot activities.

I've requested to be notified once action is taken and I'll keep the user posted.

Monitor_1
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Articlife: 6:11pm On Mar 27, 2010
@Monitor 1.

I am highly honoured by your response. You are a darling kiss

The Id is Jucol, and not jucon pls smiley

cheers

"banned" Jucol
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by GeorgeD1(m): 6:48pm On Mar 27, 2010
jucol,
i can see you're getting a headway on this issue.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Articlife: 6:57pm On Mar 27, 2010
yes man. they are listening smiley
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Nobody: 12:11am On Mar 28, 2010
Artic_life:

yes man. they are listening smiley

The access privileges of userid Jucol have been restored and the ban lifted.

Monitor_1
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Jucol(m): 12:27am On Mar 28, 2010
Thank you Monitor_1.

Up nairaland.

come make we washam grin grin grin
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by sonety2k(m): 12:44pm On Mar 28, 2010
Thank you Monitor_1, and how is the entire family ooooo over their my Monitor , my regard to them all ,

One Love

Up nairaland.
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by GeorgeD1(m): 1:24pm On Mar 28, 2010
cheers! jucol.

one love! smiley
Re: ***GOOD TIPS ON HOW TO BUY USED CARS****BE WISE by Jucol(m): 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2010
Yes George man!

There is nothing as good as a leadership that listens to the people. Thanks to u all. grin

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Tokunbo Honda Halla 1994 Model Fresh Toks For N500,000 Urgently! / 2005 Infiniti Qx 56 With Dvd And Sat Nav(pre-order) 4 M / Nissan Pathfinder 02 Toks Full Option Black(1.7m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.