Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

To Avoid Error – Have The Right Interpretation Of The Scripture - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Avoid Error – Have The Right Interpretation Of The Scripture (344 Views)

Is There A Way To Prove God Exist Apart From The Scripture? / Did Judas Iscariot Betray Jesus Or Help Him Fulfill The Scripture? / Hating Christians Is Fulfilment Of The Scripture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To Avoid Error – Have The Right Interpretation Of The Scripture by noblejames: 10:17am On Nov 26, 2017
“And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?” Acts 8:30

“But ye have not so learned Christ;” Ephesians 4:20

There is obvious gross interpretation of the Scripture as a result of the way and manner the Scripture has been studied and read. The inappropriate studying and reading of the Scripture has led to wrong interpretation of the Scripture and that has resulted into wrong application of what the Scripture says.

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." Jude 1:3

This statement in the quotation above “and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” implies that we should make sure that the document called the faith is kept intact without alteration. The word faith in the sentence is not faith as in the ability to cause miracle to happen, is referring to the doctrine or the teaching which has been sourced from the Scripture which is the word of truth handed over to us. It is disheartening to know that many were doing this in those days and even in this present time because of their selfish earthly gains and vain glory and Apostle Paul openly expose their works as he stated in his epistle to the Philippians thus:

“Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ; whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)”

Philippians 3:16-19

He also said the same thing to his audience in Rome, warning them about the consequence(s) of the mishandling of what the stipulations of the Scripture are. He advised them to avoid those that perpetrate these odious acts that decimate the sanctity of the faith we have received. The reason for avoidance is that such teachings will definitely lead to error and wrong application is inevitable. Apostle Paul thus stated:

“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.”
Romans 16:17-18

Without mincing words, Apostle Paul in his days never took the issue of erroneous teaching lightly. He is always predispose to what is taught rightly and rescues himself from the wrong teaching and would not give an inch space to someone who wants to bring such in his fold. Apostle Peter received such affront from him in Galatia notwithstanding that Apostle Peter is a senior colleague in the Ministry of Christ.

“But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?”

Galatians 2:14

Source:http://salvationinthelordevangelicalministry..com/2017/11/welcome-to-arena-of-indubitable-truth_21.html
Re: To Avoid Error – Have The Right Interpretation Of The Scripture by noblejames: 12:38pm On Nov 27, 2017
Because of erroneous interpretation of the scripture that is why we are having the fuss about tithing and no tithing, the use of anointing oil, handkerchief as mantle etc. The fact remains that many Christians have not been taught and as long as it continues in this manner there's going to be even worst doctrines that will manifest in the future.

(1) (Reply)

Atheists Who Think Science Is Mutually Exclusive To Them Should Think Again / Between Daddy Freeze And Pastors / The Very Dreaded Romans 7 (unregenerate Or Regenerate)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.