Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Diabetes 'should Not Be A Dirty Secret' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Diabetes 'should Not Be A Dirty Secret' (283 Views)

The Dirty State Of Federal University Of Agriculture, Makurdi Boys' Hostel / "My Students Don't Have Dirty Pervert Minds" - Viral Curvy Teacher Fumes / UNIBEN vs AAU Fight Dirty On Twitter.(see hilarious tweet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Diabetes 'should Not Be A Dirty Secret' by Hintboy: 10:24am On Nov 26, 2017
Many people living with diabetes are struggling with related emotional problems - an issue that needs support and recognition, a charity says.
Diabetes UK surveyed 8,500 people about diabetes and how it affected their daily life.
Three in five said their condition made them feel down.
Of those in employment, 16% felt discriminated against at work - and 7% had not even told their employer about their diabetes.
Clare (not her real name), 26, says she had to quit her job as a management consultant as a direct result of her diabetes.
She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 13.
Despite being one of 4.5 million people affected by the condition in the UK, she says the "lack of understanding" she encountered in the workplace left her feeling "frustrated, anxious and stressed".
"I was constantly undermined and told that my diabetes wasn't that serious," says Clare.
"This included being told off for having medical appointments during the day, and being made to feel bad for talking about my diabetes.
"I don't want to be treated differently, but sometimes I need to be treated differently," she tells BBC News.
"You're young and in your 20s and people on the Tube look at you and ask, 'Why do you need a seat?'
"No-one knows I have an insulin pump attached to my bra, my blood sugars are being monitored and I am constantly thinking about food."

Read more @
http://www.hintword.ga/2017/11/diabetes-not-be-dirty-secret.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Approves N164.7m Tuition Fees For Chibok Girls In Atiku’s Univeristy / Comprehensive Information On How To Study On Low Tuition In Hong Kong / Music Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.