Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,724 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Why Man Utd Youngster Is Flourishing At Valencia - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Man Utd Youngster Is Flourishing At Valencia (392 Views)

Nine Reasons Why Man United Can Beat Liverpool / EPL: Ed Woodward Reveals Why Man United Sacked Mourinho / Cristiano Ronaldo Caught Fingering Marcelo As They Celebrate Against Valencia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Man Utd Youngster Is Flourishing At Valencia by salau01(m): 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2017
Visit www.latestforya..com and follow Instagram @salau01

Jose Mourinho might not have agreed with it, but Andreas Pereira's loan is paying dividends. Ahead of Valencia's top-of-the-table clash with Barcelona on Sunday, live on Sky Sports Football, we look at the 21-year-old's improving form and growing influence, and what the future holds...

Nine wins from 12 matches, no defeats, 32 goals scored, and the only serious challengers to Barcelona at the top of La Liga. Valencia have been the story in the Spanish top flight this season.

After several lean years, Los Che have been transformed under new head coach Marcelino, with 16 players leaving in a summer clearout and new, hungrier, younger players arriving in their place. Among those to join were Goncalo Guedes and Simone Zaza - coming off the back of unsuccessful spells at Paris Saint-Germain and West Ham respectively - and Andreas Pereira - a late arrival on a season-long loan from Manchester United.

Pereira's move came on Spanish deadline day and was something of a surprise. He had featured regularly in pre-season for United and, after a successful season-long loan at Granada, had been expected to push for a first-team role, at least in cup competitions. But, perhaps after taking a closer look at the midfield competition at Old Trafford, Pereira opted for another loan, even though Jose Mourinho was not totally on board.

"Andreas Pereira was a personal decision that I don't agree with," he said. "A decision I don't think honestly is the best decision for him, a decision that disappoints me a little bit, because I think he has the potential to be here fighting for a position, for opportunities, and fighting to be a Manchester United player. You have to be ready to fight for a position and I am a bit disappointed that he left."
Valencia vs Barcelona

November 26, 2017, 7:40pm

Live on Sky Sports Football HD
Get Sky Sports Get a Sky Sports pass

Pereira, 21, admitted it was a "difficult" decision, but said: "For me individually and for the chances of playing it was better to be here."

It is a decision that appears to have been vindicated, so far. As Valencia have flourished, Pereira has played an important part. He has made 10 appearances in La Liga - five starts and five substitute appearances - and has scored once and made three assists.

While at Granada last season he largely played in a No 10 role behind the striker, at Valencia he has played on either the left or right side of Marcelino's favoured 4-4-2 formation. And he credits Marcelino for much of his, and the team's, success. "He is the one who has created all this, this good environment," he says. "He is a very good coach. He tells us clearly, as individuals, and as a team, what to do in every moment."

Pereira should also take some of the credit as he has started to express himself more on the pitch. There have been stepovers, cutbacks, bursts down the wings and, most of all, excellent crosses for Zaza and Rodrigo to profit from.

(1) (Reply)

Russia 2018: Nigeria’s Super Eagles Named Youngest Team At World Cup / Free 2+ Sure Odds Daily / Can Arsenal FC Still Be Considered A Top Club?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.