Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Alternative To Gaddafi’s Wrong Idea Of 'split Nigeria' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Alternative To Gaddafi’s Wrong Idea Of 'split Nigeria' (833 Views)

Muammar Gaddafi Is Alive / Is Gaddafi A Dictator? / Gaddafi's youngest son and 3 grandchildren killed in NATO air strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Alternative To Gaddafi’s Wrong Idea Of 'split Nigeria' by AbuSafwan(m): 10:48am On Mar 26, 2010
ALTERNATIVE TO GADDAFI’S WRONG IDEA OF 'SPLIT NIGEIRA'
By
Salim I. Hassan (Salimullah)
Education Department, BUK.
salimanology@yahoo.com

being an article sent to dailytrust (but not published)

Gaddafi is always known for his unusual declarations as some are saying. However, sometimes he tends to yield positive ideas and suggestions in his remarks and proposals. But, this time the ‘giant’ man has failed. I, like many others, feel it very differently when I heard about his recent proposal of ‘split Nigeria’ in dailytrust. Sir, Permit me to use a space in your ‘daily’ to highlight a smattering paragraphs embodied in my proposed idea of ‘communal politics’ which I have propounded in my book: “Nigerian Muslims; Problems and Solution” (unpublished) to address this issue of ‘Split Nigeria’ meanwhile providing alternative solution. I think my idea shall be positive and effective (I am not praising myself) in addressing the solution of Muslim-Christian conflict in Nigeria. The texts here are simplified, abridged or paraphrased.

In the book, I have talked about the possibility of peaceful co-coexistence of two different communities with different set of laws and values in a state. This can only be done when the federal constitution is transformed to “Communal Constitution”. As such “Communal Politics” suggests that a heterogeneous society can co-exist to live equally, peacefully, tolerably, and interdependently only if the state constitution grants full liberty and right to political power to each and every community residing within the Nation; to govern and rule its members in accordance to their religion, beliefs, norms, cultures and philosophy of life. Therefore, Communal Constitution is that type of constitution which provides laws on the basis of the religion, norms and values of each and every respective community in a state or nation whose members belong to the same religious entity e.g. Muslim Community (i.e. it constitutes all Muslim states and all those Muslims living in non-Muslim states of Nigeria). In Communal Constitution the federal government should not make any law that may even likely to violate one or more of the religious values and laws of any of the communities. It is interesting to note that Communal Constitution has two categories of law: General Provisional Laws (GPLS) and Supreme Community Laws (SCLS). On the one hand, General Provisional Laws (GPLS) are those distinct provisions in “Communal Constitution” which provides general laws in the nation that are common and acceptable to all communities; and that it represent the positive aims, goals and objectives for the national growth and development. It is only the government that has the authoritative and dominant power on the decision, regulation, and maintenance and administering of GPLS. Supreme Community Laws (SCLS) on the other hand, is an independent part of provisions in “Communal Constitution” which is mainly dealt with the communal laws of each and every community within the nation. When we say community in this regard we are referring to a particular society belong to same religion (e.g. Muslims and Christian Communities). SCLS are set of laws, principles, rules, and policies which are designed and provided by a particular Community based on their religion, beliefs, values and norms to serve as their legal/civil constitution whose religious-based provisions must be respected, valued and protected by GPLS. The relationship between the two different provisions is that of generality and exclusivity. In clearer terms I meant that the former (GPLS) is expected to design, make and regulate all laws that are common and acceptable to different communities; hence its generality. While the latter (SCLS) is expected to design, make and regulate the exceptional laws of different communities that are peculiar to them; hence its exclusivity. Where a law cannot be made general for the entire communities each and every community can make it in accordance to its norms and values so as to avoid making law by the government in favour of one community as against the other. Don’t go and waste your time in search for the cause of Nigerian political instabilities and social underdevelopment; it is here lies the problem: the incapability and inability of the Nigerian constitution to cater for the needs of different religious communities. There is too often one law in favour of one community as against the other.

Under this type of constitution Muslims shall be entitled to rule their states according to the Shari’ah Ruling System. And Christians too, (if they like) they can rule their states according to their religious set of values. To think of the split of Nigeria into two different regional boundaries is just to distort reality. There are a lot of Muslim brothers in Southern states and vice versa; hence, it is illogical to think of the creation of southern and northern region of Nigeria as two distinctive independent countries.

When this goal (communal constitution) is attained we Muslim, shall bring together all of our brothers from Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western region under a single religio-political entity called “Federation of United Muslim States of Nigeria (FUMS)”. This federation is only in theoretical aspect but not in practical boundary separation. Our future salvation as general citizens only lies in the attainment of this ‘dream-like’ idea. FUMS does not entail existence of a new independent nation in Nigeria for the Muslims; it is a not a territorial nation out of Nigeria; rather the federation will represent the religio-political entity of the majority Muslims whom will enjoy their full right and legitimacy from that power and consent of the Nigerian government. Under this federation, Muslims shall have their own supreme constitution which shall be an independent section of provisions in the Federal one (already communalized); they shall have their own supreme courts of laws for their final decisions and judgements in all legal, civil, common and religious laws; it finally entails that all Muslims in Nigeria shall be brought back under Shari’ah Ruling System without any constitutional constraints and restrictions. And ditto for the Christians.

The federation shall be in form of Caliphate. The Caliphate therefore, shall be the ultimate religio-political entity and modus-operandi representing the entire Muslim citizens in Nigeria regardless of colour, race, tribe, and or region. If the Christian brothers are really want to have this complete religious political freedom we also advocate the same thing for them because they too have their own set of religious laws and orders which they have ignored due to the influence of secularism. Both Muslims and Christian’s federalist constitution shall inevitably come to be. Under communal constitution they shall all have their different provisions as far as their civil, legal and social life is concerned.

It is lacked of such clarity of thought in Nigerian politics and leadership that brings about all act of violence, political instability and incessant tribal/religious conflicts. The solution to the problem is not as col. Qaddafi assumed for that will only lead us to dismemberment and incessant territorial civil war. But, if the proposed idea (as described above) is to be translated into practice in Nigerian politics there shall be a lot of benefit to the general citizens of Nigeria. This is obviously an alternative to Qaddafi’s delusive suggested solution. Due to high rate of different ethnicity and deeply rooted religious conflict, only through implementing “Communal Constitution” under Communal Politics we can manage our politics and leadership in Nigeria. The current constitution is insufficient; it is neither competent nor just. It is in fact, a violator of people’s freedom of religion.
Submitted by Salimullah

My April's article is just coming in the early first week of the month! Enjoy reading

(1) (Reply)

2011 Local Government Elections Result (south Africa) / US Agency Expelled From Russia / Gaza Rockets Hit Jerusalem For First Time (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.