Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? (7693 Views)

Milky "Garri" Discharge Help / Lassa Fever: Avoid Drinking Garri To Avoid Infection / Hard Drugs Affect Man Who Couldn't Get A Job In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by nairarhymer(m): 8:59pm On Nov 26, 2017
I've heard it a number of times that sipping garri affects the eyes. In the hostel,there are persons who can't stay a day without sipping garri, some people even soak garri up to two or three times a day. So medics in the house,does garri really affect the eyes or is it just a myth?

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by tmx21(m): 9:02pm On Nov 26, 2017
Oya lalasticlala... Take this to fp, we need answers, but this is what I think.

Garri can not affect the eye. People say this because an unprocessed cassava tuber has a toxic substance called the CYANIDE.

This substance affects the optic nerve when consumed without it going through adequate heat during processing.

Back to the reason for the widespread of the lies... A set of sojourners were in the woods and they found a cassava farm that was ready for harvest, they harvested enough to continue their journey and they depended on it.
After getting to their destination, some of the lost their sight completely while others had few issues with their sight. It was traced to the cassava they ate and since then cassava became the the cause of bad sight when taken.

That's the story I was told but scientifically, well processed casava cant affect the eyesight. but just in case you're scared, add palm oil to it, it takes off all traces of cyanide BUT I LIKE MY GARRI WHITE

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by smulti(m): 9:10pm On Nov 26, 2017
Absolutely

it blurs your eye sight when you soak it on the excess .

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by 77al: 9:14pm On Nov 26, 2017
I have no vital proof but YES

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by cuedish: 9:15pm On Nov 26, 2017

THIS LAND IS NOT FOR SALE

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by psucc(m): 9:32pm On Nov 26, 2017
I disagree because by now over two third of my village people for be blind

6 Likes

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by tmx21(m): 9:37pm On Nov 26, 2017
psucc:
I disagree because by now over two third of my village people for be blind
Lol, me sef go don blind since

2 Likes

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by DanseMacabre(m): 9:59pm On Nov 26, 2017
No. Milk neutralises the blinding-causing agent in the garri. grin

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by psucc(m): 10:28pm On Nov 26, 2017
DanseMacabre:
No. Milk neutralises the blinding-causing agent in the garri. grin
na who dash monkey banana?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by Drone95(m): 11:52am On Aug 24, 2020
If we say taking garri affect human sight, but how about goats that eat raw cassava? They should be blind in 3-7 days after eating raw cassava.

4 Likes

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by Ejusni(m): 5:55pm On Aug 24, 2020
I'm not sure it does... Fairy tales as ever!
Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by Gerundphrase: 2:03pm On Aug 08, 2022
To whom it may concerned taking of an unwell processed garri causes blindness. The culprit is cyanide acid present in cassava. There are many ways to get blind quick frequent taking of garri is number one

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by LechyD: 3:08pm On Apr 07, 2023
Garri with the processing methods now used has no cyanide especially yellow Garri... cyanide has eye sight problem as one of it's effect to human body.
Apple seeds, pear seed and cherry seeds also contain Cyanides.
The key is...do not ingest raw cassava. So enjoy your Garri as it has been saving life's since 1924!

1 Like

Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by 99thEnemy(m): 2:40pm On Nov 01, 2023
nairarhymer:
I've heard it a number of times that sipping garri affects the eyes. In the hostel,there are persons who can't stay a day without sipping garri, some people even soak garri up to two or three times a day. So medics in the house,does garri really affect the eyes or is it just a myth?
This guy say na sipping garri. grin grin grin
Re: Does Sipping Garri Affect The Eyes? by Akposkiz: 12:28am On Nov 02, 2023
Yes! Too much of it!

(1) (Reply)

Ebola: FG To Employ 490 E.h.officers To Man Border Comm. / Top-10 Factors To Smoke Cigarettes That Is Electric / Amb. Maxwell Stephen Nweze Marks Birthday With Free Medical Outreach In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.