Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

English Is A Stupid Language. - Poems For Review (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / English Is A Stupid Language. (10944 Views)

Short Story: I Must Really Be Stupid By Osarumen Edosa / Stupid Funny Quotes / Top Ten Funny/stupid Deaths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 10:49am On Nov 29, 2017
MissJoy29:

Good different or bad different? shocked

Temperament: MelSan
Love Language (the two most important) :
1) Acts of service (very important)
2) Gifts

What are yours?
of course a gud different which i find you interesting

MEISAN temperament trait i dont think i heard that before i only know of SANGUINE, CHOLERIC,PHLEPMATIC and MELANCHOLIC so do you mind elucidating on that a bit i want to learn something new...
well my temperament trait are a mixture of melancholic and choleric

love language...WORDS OF AFFIRMATION yea i want to hear does positive words dat wil push me to go high...
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by HARDDON: 11:06am On Nov 29, 2017
[quote author=ct2 post=62810269]nice write up

Op didn't write this n it is not a poem either.

I read this in some text way back in sec Sch. Op did cut a lot out of d original construct. If you doubt me, simply Google the first patagragh.

People should learn to tell the truth!
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 11:15am On Nov 29, 2017
sirBLUNT:
of course a gud different which i find you interesting

MEISAN temperament trait i dont think i heard that before i only know of SANGUINE, CHOLERIC,PHLEPMATIC and MELANCHOLIC so do you mind elucidating on that a bit i want to learn something new...
well my temperament trait are a mixture of melancholic and choleric

love language...WORDS OF AFFIRMATION yea i want to hear does positive words dat wil push me to go high...
cool

MelSan is a blend of Melancholy & Sanguine.

Words of affirmation? That's great. A lot of guys have that or physical touch as their language.
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by Emycord: 11:17am On Nov 29, 2017
WHEN WILL WE HAVE ONE HUNDRED AND ONETY ONE 111. LIKE WE HAVE ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY ONE
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 11:18am On Nov 29, 2017
musicwriter:

Noam Chomsky is the world's foremost lingust. He indeed said English is the best language for telling lies, its not just his view, but the view of linguists.

Noam Chomsky on the concept of language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUbIlwHRkY
Wow!
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by godofuck231: 11:27am On Nov 29, 2017
AvantG:
Pains in my head gives me headache, pains in my stomach gives me stomach ache but pains in my leg doesn't cause legache....crazy language

If you have a poetic license u can add that to your own dictionary like whole soyinka
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by musicwriter(m): 11:37am On Nov 29, 2017
MissJoy29:

Wow!

Let me give you an example why English is the language of liars.

Imagine you have an enemy named Shola. One day his son died and you went all the way to the place Shola want to buy coffin and you said ''good mourning Shola''.

Shola understands you've cursed her, but every other person around don't know. Soon a fight broke out. When people gather to inquire, all you have to do is deny that you simply said ''good morning''.

Get it?

In African languages there's no way to do that without others immediately understanding what you mean. Example, in Igbo language ''akwa'' could mean Egg or cloth, dependng on my intonnation. In Yoruba language too its like that. Depending on my intonnation ''ogun'' could mean a state or a number or a god. So, in our language you mean what you say and you say what you mean simply by your intonnation which we do by adjusting our pitch. In English you can say something and deny it even with audio proof of you cursing Shola.
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 11:38am On Nov 29, 2017
MissJoy29:

cool

MelSan is a blend of Melancholy & Sanguine.

Words of affirmation? That's great. A lot of guys have that or physical touch as their language.
yea and alot of girls have act of service gift or quality time as theirs though its not base on gender...but what i find quite appauling is that alot of people dont even know abt this temperament and love language and yet they are in a relationship and i ask how can u understand each other sef? because it takes understanding to be outstanding for every relationship to work out

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by Papadoh(m): 12:03pm On Nov 29, 2017
To all the people screaming plagiarism: Relax. There's no need to get your panties all up in a bunch. I've actually tried to modify the post so as to give credit but i've been unable to do that for some reason. I didn't get the poem from any of the links you guys posted(didn't even know it was online), instead i culled it from The 2006 MAPOLY yearbook. I read it a long time ago, found the book again yesterday and it made my day so i decided to share it with you guys. Also i never actually took credit for the poem, i was very surprised to see 'a poem by Papadoh' in front of the title because it wasn't part of the original title. Anyway i'm sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings, that wasn't my intention. Now let's all go back to being friends, ok?

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 12:59pm On Nov 29, 2017
sirBLUNT:
yea and alot of girls have act of service gift or quality time as theirs though its not base on gender...but what i find quite appauling is that alot of people dont even know abt this temperament and love language and yet they are in a relationship and i ask how can u understand each other sef? because it takes understanding to be outstanding for every relationship to work out
Lol..a lot of girls have acts of service and gifts (just like me ) as their language.

I agree @ it takes understanding to be outstanding for every relationship to work out. Knowledge is indeed key!
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 1:04pm On Nov 29, 2017
musicwriter:

Let me give you an example why English is the language of liars.

Imagine you have an enemy named Shola. One day his son died and you went all the way to the place Shola want to buy coffin and you said ''good mourning Shola''.

Shola understands you've cursed her, but every other person around don't know. Soon a fight broke out. When people gather to inquire, all you have to do is deny that you simply said ''good morning''.

Get it?

In African languages there's no way to do that without others immediately understanding what you mean. Example, in Igbo language ''akwa'' could mean Egg or cloth, dependng on my intonnation. In Yoruba language too its like that. Depending on my intonnation ''ogun'' could mean a state or a number or a god. So, in our language you mean what you say and you say what you mean simply by your intonnation which we do by adjusting our pitch. In English you can say something and deny it even with audio proof of you cursing Shola.
Lol...brilliant! I get it now. They call those words we use to "lie" homophones and homonyms. grin grin
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 1:37pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissJoy29:

Lol..a lot of girls have acts of service and gifts (just like me ) as their language.

I agree @ it takes understanding to be outstanding for every relationship to work out. Knowledge is indeed key!
act of service and gift its not a big deal to me,helpin in the kitchen and al dat and also buying gift its a normal tin dats wat makes the relationship fun!

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 3:48pm On Nov 29, 2017
sirBLUNT:
act of service and gift its not a big deal to me,helpin in the kitchen and al dat and also buying gift its a normal tin dats wat makes the relationship fun!
Hmmmm....nice.

Words of affirmation comes naturally to me too. It's not a big deal either
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by KingLennon(m): 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2017
MrFly:
d difference btw Watford and Arsenal is clear.. LACAZETTE is waiting to devour Lindelof
Bailly is back bro. Are u ready for Martial and Rashford?
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 5:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
MissJoy29:

Hmmmm....nice.

Words of affirmation comes naturally to me too. It's not a big deal either
what get me angry with nigerian girls is that when you are nice to them 4 example you sent airtime to a girl even when she did not ask or do something just because u feel like and the nxt thing is the start seeing u like some kind of mugu who dnt knw wat do wit his money n they begin to demand anyhow seriously speaking dat attitude get soooo mad!!
like can i be nice to a girl without she tinking dat i like her or am som mugu!

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MrFly(m): 7:31pm On Nov 29, 2017
KingLennon:

ozil is back, mustafi is 100% ready, then Sanchez wil provide the sucker puncher
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MrFly(m): 12:01am On Nov 30, 2017
KingLennon:

ozil and co. are in sparkling form
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 8:05am On Nov 30, 2017
sirBLUNT:
what get me angry with nigerian girls is that when you are nice to them 4 example you sent airtime to a girl even when she did not ask or do something just because u feel like and the nxt thing is the start seeing u like some kind of mugu who dnt knw wat do wit his money n they begin to demand anyhow seriously speaking dat attitude get soooo mad!!
like can i be nice to a girl without she tinking dat i like her or am som mugu!
Chai! Nigerian girls don suffer. I have heard enough Nigerian girl this, Nigerian girls that to last me a lifetime. smiley

Why some girls wil take you as mugu is that we have been told a lot of times(by guys) that nothing is free especially when given by a guy...So it means that there's nothing like "no-strings gift? Is that true? smiley
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 9:25am On Nov 30, 2017
MissJoy29:

Chai! Nigerian girls don suffer. I have heard enough Nigerian girl this, Nigerian girls that to last me a lifetime. smiley

Why some girls wil take you as mugu is that we have been told a lot of times(by guys) that nothing is free especially when given by a guy...So it means that there's nothing like "no-strings gift? Is that true? smiley
of course not...any guy dat gives a gurl a gift and xpect something simple means dat he cant a stranger or his fellow man..wat happens to service to humanity..for example i can take u on a friendly date spend on u hav a gud time and trust me no strings attach i hav done da alot of times gurls dat knw me personally can attest to that..so u mean i cant just be nice to a gurl xcept i want something, i find it quite appauling

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 11:40am On Nov 30, 2017
sirBLUNT:
of course not...any guy dat gives a gurl a gift and xpect something simple means dat he cant a stranger or his fellow man..wat happens to service to humanity..for example i can take u on a friendly date spend on u hav a gud time and trust me no strings attach i hav done da alot of times gurls dat knw me personally can attest to that..so u mean i cant just be nice to a gurl xcept i want something, i find it quite appauling
But that's the impression we have been told to have. shocked
Hmmm...you are different then cool
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2017
MissJoy29:

But that's the impression we have been told to have. shocked
Hmmm...you are different then cool
not all of us are like dat some of us are crazily nice in a different way..the action of a man does not really matter sometimes it is the unforseen intension behind the action dat matters

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2017
sirBLUNT:
not all of us are like dat some of us are crazily nice in a different way..the action of a man does not really matter sometimes it is the unforseen intension behind the action dat matters
It's that "unforseen intention" that is the bone of contention here. You may think a human being (in this case, a man) is being nice just for the sake of being nice. But deep down, he has a hidden agenda.

We have been told often times that "nothing is free in freeville". Since we don't know what that "unforseen intention" is, we just assume it's the worst to protect ourselves knowing that we have gone through enough experiences before coming to that reasoning.

Anyway, kudos for being nice...&keep it up.
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by sirBLUNT: 4:34pm On Nov 30, 2017
MissJoy29:

It's that "unforseen intention" that is the bone of contention here. You may think a human being (in this case, a man) is being nice just for the sake of being nice. But deep down, he has a hidden agenda.

We have been told often times that "nothing is free in freeville". Since we don't know what that "unforseen intention" is, we just assume it's the worst to protect ourselves knowing that we have gone through enough experiences before coming to that reasoning.

Anyway, kudos for being nice...&keep it up.
thanks..that is when he is been so nice to some extend you have to ask him bros y are u been nice to me if he has any intention he will tell you if he says oh its nothing am just bin nice then its fine, if he tels u later then tell him its too late!

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by Ugosample(m): 5:38pm On Nov 30, 2017
English will still remain the dominant language on the planet for at least two centuries

So we can cry that it is a "stupid" language for all we care, it won't change shit
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by MissJoy29(f): 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2017
sirBLUNT:
thanks..that is when he is been so nice to some extend you have to ask him bros y are u been nice to me if he has any intention he will tell you if he says oh its nothing am just bin nice then its fine, if he tels u later then tell him its too late!
Ok...noted cheesy

You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by God2man(m): 8:04pm On Nov 30, 2017
zeekeyboy:
I'm sure you will enjoy this. One word in the English
language that could be a noun, verb, adj, adv, prep is
*UP*.Read until the end... you'll laugh.
This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any
other two-letter word, and that word is *'UP'*. It is listed in
the dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].
It's easy to understand *UP*, meaning toward the sky or at
the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why
do we wake *UP*?
At a meeting, why does a topic come *UP*? Why do we
speak *UP*, and why are the officers *UP* for election (if
there is a tie, it is a toss *UP*) and why is it *UP* to the
secretary to write *UP* a report? We call *UP*our friends,
brighten *UP* a room, polish *UP* the silver, warm *UP* the
leftovers and clean *UP* the kitchen. We lock *UP* the house
and fix *UP* the old car.
At other times, this little word has real special meaning.
People stir *UP* trouble, line UP for tickets, work *UP* an
appetite, and think *UP* excuses.
To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed *UP* is
special.
And this *UP* is confusing: A drain must be opened *UP*
because it is blocked *UP*.
We open *UP* a store in the morning but we close it *UP* at
night. We seem to be pretty mixed *UP* about *UP*!
To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of *UP*, look
*UP* the word *UP* in the dictionary. In a desk-sized
dictionary, it takes *UP* almost 1/4 of the page and can add
*UP* to about thirty definitions.
If you are *UP* to it, you might try building *UP* a list of the
many ways *UP* is used. It will take *UP* a lot of your time,
but if you don't give *UP*, you may wind *UP* with ( *UP*
to) a hundred or more.
When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding *UP*. When
the sun comes out, we say it is clearing *UP*. When it rains,
it soaks *UP* the earth. When it does not rain for awhile,
things dry *UP*. One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it
*UP*, for now...... my time is *UP*!
So, did this whole thing, crack you *UP*?
Send this on to everyone you look *UP* in your address
book... or not... it's *UP* to you.

UP
Re: English Is A Stupid Language. by Lingz: 11:03pm On Dec 02, 2017
Papadoh:
There is no egg in eggplant
No ham in hamburger
And neither pine nor apple in pineapple
English muffins were not invented in England
French fries were not invented in France.

We sometimes take English for granted
But if we examine its paradoxes we find that
Quicksand takes you down slowly
Boxing rings are square
And a guinea pig is neither from guinea nor is it a pig.

If writers write, how come fingers don't fing
If the plural of tooth is teeth
Shouldn't the plural of phone booth be phone beeth?
If the teacher taught, Why didn't the preacher praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables
What the heck does a humanitarian eat?!
Why do people recite at a play yet play at a recital?
Park on driveways and drive on parkways.

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language where
A house can burn up as it burns down
And in which you fill in a form by filling it out
And a bell is only heard once it goes. When stars are out they are visible
But when lights are out they are invisible.
Op u should have given proper credit to the original author of this article by means of reference or quoting the source. Plagiarism is bad.
I remembered my pre-degree days as far back as 2009 when this same article was used as one of the English lang comprehension questions.
The source of the article was properly cited![color=#006600][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Memorable Poetry Collections By Nairaland Poets For 2014 - NPC / E.v.e- Da Final Chapter! / Happy Independence Day Nigeria (poem)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.