Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,435 members, 7,954,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:07 AM

What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? (1127 Views)

Between Governor Masari And Pot-Bellied Permanent Secretary. See Reactions (Pix) / EFCC Arrests BORMA Permanent Secretary, Others For Alleged N11.3m Fraud / Buhari Sacks Permanent Secretary For Awarding Contracts To Himself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? by gr8tone: 11:59am On Nov 28, 2017
If I will go by the literal meaning of the word "permanent" I presume that it should mean something without end, something eternal. But it it always gets me confused when the permanent secretaries are sometimes sacked or redeployed to other areas of assignments. What really is the meaning of permanent secretary and the Nigerian context? What is their role? I only used Nigeria because of my timid experience. I don't know whether such is the practice elsewhere.
Re: What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? by Naijiant: 1:59pm On Nov 28, 2017
It comes from the UK. Ministers are called "secretaries of state". E.g foreign secretary. The minister is a political appointment - political secretary. The permanent secretary is a civil servant heading the ministry. He is "permanent" in the sense that his position shouldn't change when a different party comes in. It means civil servants are permanent till retirement while political rulers last until they are voted out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? by Elruhamah: 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2017
Naijiant:
It comes from the UK. Ministers are called "secretaries of state". E.g foreign secretary. The minister is a political appointment - political secretary. The permanent secretary is a civil servant heading the ministry. He is "permanent" in the sense that his position shouldn't change when a different party comes in. It means civil servants are permanent till retirement while political rulers last until they are voted out.
Gbam !!! Couldn't have said it better.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 28, 2017
Ok. Mostly career positions in the ministry. grin
Re: What Is "Permanent Secretary" In The Nigerian Context? by gr8tone: 7:24pm On Nov 28, 2017
Naijiant:
Thanks for the enlightenment

(1) (Reply)

Another Evidence That Atiku Abubakar Has Won 2019 Election...I Dust My Hands / The New York Times:President Buhari Draws Criticism For Seeking Medical Care Abr / Diezani Loot: EFCC Arraigns Rivers SSG Fo Allegedly Laundering N750m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.