Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold (731 Views)

BREAKING: Saraki Is Like Sani Abacha, PDP Senator Says During Senate Valedictory / FRCN Takes Over Radio Biafra / President Buhari Approves Executive Management Of NTA, FRCN And NEMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by Blue3k(m): 5:15pm On Nov 28, 2017
The senator representing Bayelsa East, Ben Murray-Bruce, has called on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration to sell government-owned media companies.

Mr. Bruce said the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, FRCN, and Voice of Nigeria, no longer make sense and should be sold to relieve the budget of recurrent expenditures.

The Senator said this while making his contribution to the debate on the 2018 budget which started at the Senate on Tuesday.

Mr. Murray-Bruce said the recurrent expenditure of the budget was over-bloated and should be trimmed.

“We have downgraded our economy and the reason we are downgraded is we cannot meet our revenue projection. It is understood that this is a budget of consolidation; I would rather describe it as budget of active imagination,” he said.

“If you look at the budget from 1960 to the present, you have agencies that were designed for 1960, agencies that were designed for the Nigerian civil war, agencies that were designed to suit some certain conditions in life. 60 years later, those agencies still exist in the budget.

“If you look at the budget, you will see some agencies, they get recurrent expenditure, they pay salaries, they get houses, computers, cars but they have no money to do any work. No money to do any work, we pay salaries. Some agencies are so bloated it defies logic but these agencies exist. So, we have 2.4 million people consuming 60percent of the recurrent expenditure of Nigeria, it doesn’t make any sense.”

Mr. Bruce listed some of the agencies he wants the executive to privatise.

“I called President Obasanjo on phone two days ago and he said to me; the National Orientation Agency was necessary when we had no political party, what is the value of the National Orientation Agency in today’s world for instance? Yet billions of Naira is spent in that agency.

“Let us look at agencies that make no sense. FRCN, sell it to the staff. FRCN has 8, 000 workers sell it to them. Sell NTA to the staff. Voice of Nigeria. Who listens to Voice of Nigeria? Sell it. If the staff want to buy, let them buy it. Set up a cooperative like Awolowo did, sell it to them. If we spend 71 percent on recurrent expenditure, we will never get out of this predicament we find ourselves.”

The lawmaker also criticised the agreement reached by Nigeria and China in the construction of rail lines in the country.

“I sent a letter to the Minister of Transport and I asked him to send us the contract he has with the Chinese. Let’s say we spend 10 billion dollars with the Chinese and they give us a loan what percentage of that money is spent in the local economy? How many Nigerians are employed? Which steel product are we producing locally?

“The last time I checked, rail lines were produced 300, 400 years ago. It’s not rocket science, we have Ajaokuta steel. So if we have the capability of producing steel or we have the capability in slow motion of making this work as Nigerians, we don’t need to borrow $10 billion from the Chinese and then give them back $10 billion, what do we benefit in our economy?

“The United Nations projected that in February 2018, Nigeria will have more people in poverty than in India. We have a population of 180 million people, India has 1.3 billion. Then, if we are going to have more people in poverty than India, then we have to create jobs. Once we create jobs we can then export our Naira to China, to India or some other place.”

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/250873-senator-says-nta-frcn-von-no-longer-make-sense-sold.html

Front Page: lalasticlala
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by Baawaa(m): 5:18pm On Nov 28, 2017
Why they will make sense,when they don't support corruptions
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by eezeribe(m): 5:19pm On Nov 28, 2017
Federal government of Nigeria finds it very difficult to successfully own and manage establishments and institutions profitably in the long term...
The only thing our FG can profitably manage is corruption....

1 Like

Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by Mologi(m): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2017
One of them obviously wants to buy it and turn it to campaigning channel or useless it like PHCN...

F***CKERS
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by Blue3k(m): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2017
The rail point is half right. Nigeria has dead a steel plant great. Do you have money required to reactivate it? The government owns both Ajaokuta steel and Nigeria Nigerian Iron-Ore Mining Company with nothing to show.
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by pdppower: 5:23pm On Nov 28, 2017
So the useless presidential fleet of planes makes sense and should be maintained. Idiots on power
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by clevvermind(m): 5:25pm On Nov 28, 2017
To me, it is the senator that is not making sense and should be sold.
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by nairavsdollars(f): 5:26pm On Nov 28, 2017
I agree. The VON DG instead of doing his job is busy talking about Buhari everyday. I cant remember the last time i watched NTA
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by Blue3k(m): 5:41pm On Nov 28, 2017
These agencies sound useless in the information age and competing media outlets. The only state run thing i read is NAN. NTA is pretty boring. Tge idea of privatisation sounds pretty good. The sad thing is Nigerians hate cuts and taxes but complain avout lsck if capital projects.

So, we have 2.4 million people consuming 60percent of the recurrent expenditure of Nigeria, it doesn’t make any sense.”

“Let us look at agencies that make no sense. FRCN, sell it to the staff. FRCN has 8, 000 workers sell it to them. Sell NTA to the staff. Voice of Nigeria. Who listens to Voice of Nigeria? Sell it. If the staff want to buy, let them buy it. Set up a cooperative like Awolowo did, sell it to them. If we spend 71 percent on recurrent expenditure, we will never get out of this predicament we find ourselves.”

1 Like

Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by Bevista: 5:48pm On Nov 28, 2017
I agree with the senator on this.
---
Unfortunately, if the current FG were to go ahead to implement this, the narrative will change and the Govt will be accused of selling public assets to their cronies and causing more unemployment - not minding that the original suggestion came from an opposition senator.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by okosodo: 5:50pm On Nov 28, 2017
I support
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by plux4: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2017
When GEJ proposed the stations to be fully commercialization some of our lawmakers opposed it then.
Re: Senator Says NTA, FRCN, VON ‘no Longer Make Sense’; Should Be Sold by chukuli(m): 6:29pm On Nov 28, 2017
the problem wit we Africans is we Africans

(1) (Reply)

Fulani Police Officer Bello Salihu Declares Bachama Will All Be Dead 2 weeks / FG Finally Hands Over State House Marina To The Lagos State Government. / Nigerian Newspapers: 10 Things You Need To Know This Thursday Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.