Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be (836 Views)

Social Media Makes Politicians Purge Their Thoughts Without Reasoning. / CNN Lists Nigeria as 3rd Expected Fastest Growing Economy In 2015 / Why Do Nigerian Politicians Have Jacked Up Names ? Ohakim, Sambo, Goodluck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by Eddeux(m): 3:43am On Mar 28, 2010
All we mostly hear in America from American new sources is how awful in bad condition Nigeria is in. Muslim-christian violence rampant, stuck in political crisis, can't meet energy demands, most people still living under $2 dollars a day, oil sector still dominating economy, news that Libya says country should split into two, how we would rely on oil from unstable Nigeria if Mexico doesn't fix it's oil dilemma U.S. leaders concerned china stealing business away from US in Nigeria and rest of Africa etc etc. Tell me, how much of this is true?
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by deco2come: 4:11am On Mar 28, 2010
All you have to understand is that the news tells you what they want you to hear and not the truth. Before reading any newspaper or watch any news, first you have to understand that the journalist also seek for promotion and they can say anything in order to gain that promotion. They don't care if it is affecting you.

Nigeria might be bad but believe me, if USA journalist decide to say bad things happening in that country(USA), many people will think twice before applying for visa.

If I may ask, when was the last time you saw western media saying goods things about countries in Africa or Asia. They always like to see something bad. Or should I ask when was the last time you saw some good parts of the country's(Nigeria or other Africa countries) cities on your television. The only thing they display is villages, people living in poverty, or other things that can piss you off.

Finally, I will say that Nigeria condition is not good at the moment but it doesn't appear the way they broadcast it.
You may like to watch some of Michael Moore documentaries because he is one those that will tell you what happens in that country(USA)
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by Sunofgod(m): 6:19am On Mar 28, 2010
America is full of ghetto's.

I was shocked with what I saw when I first visited the place compared to how they portray themselves in film and in the media.

America is a far from perfect.

Trust me,
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by agathamari(f): 11:29am On Mar 28, 2010
no country is perfect, and no one in their right mind could possible every claim any to be. as far as US media coverage over Nigeria. i didn't hear too much about Nigeria when i was in the US (travel agents try to talk you out of coming to Nigeria though) but i have to say since being here in Nigeria, the US media doesn't even come close to covering some of the asinine things going on here.

The success of a nation cannot be determined by its wealth or natural resources but by the flow of people. Are people dying to come in, or dying to get out?
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by RichyBlacK(m): 12:49pm On Mar 28, 2010
agathamari:

no country is perfect, and no one in their right mind could possible every claim any to be.  as far as US media coverage over Nigeria.  i didn't hear too much about Nigeria when i was in the US (travel agents try to talk you out of coming to Nigeria though) but i have to say since being here in Nigeria, the US media doesn't even come close to covering some of the asinine things going on here.

The success of a nation cannot be determined by its wealth or natural resources but by the flow of people.  Are people dying to come in, or dying to get out?

This is so true!
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by blackmann(m): 1:25pm On Mar 28, 2010
[b]i lived in nigeria all my life b4 coming here to US for my studies last year, and i have to say with all the "defending the freedom of the people" the American government keeps shouting, i can say that even nigerian pple are freer than them here. i have decided to stop watching CNN cos anytime they have any documentary of nigeria, if u see the images they put on air, i get very pissed. the other day they showed "Abuja", it was one remote settlement they viewed from a helicopter and said was the capital city. i was so angry, having lived in Abuja for a few years b4 leaving. what sort of image will such protray to other members of the world?

On the lighter side though, it seems the few nigerians in my skool are trying hard to redeem the image of the country. i know a few of  my non-nigerian friends and other pple i meet who tell me they want to visit the country someday, that they hear good things about the place. even during my skools international day, many pple visited the Nigerian stand and were very interested in our display and attire and what we had to say about the country too. we even won an award that day. that put smiles on my face.[/b]
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by lannre(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2010
Don't m ind them, they are in a big mess too. Watch as China finally buy the US . they are leaving beyond their means. The Freedom they preach is not there, how come the legislators that support the Health bill reforms are being threatening. The Obama Presidency caught them unaware.
Re: Is Nigeria As Jacked Up As The Us Media Makes It Out To Be by N101: 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2010
I'm of the opinion that the US media doesn't know how to do news so their views don't rate with me. As for Nigeria being 'jacked up', it is and isn't, depending on the angle you're looking at it from.

(1) (Reply)

Ex-militants Invade Abuja ! / Desperate Babangida On Youtube / Ribadu Opens Campaign Office In Abuja !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.