Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,630 members, 7,813,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? (740 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African American Tourists Visit Oba Of Benin (photos) / African American Man To Return To Umuahia, Nigeria As He Rocks Igbo Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by AkosuaBrownie: 7:18pm On Dec 01, 2017
I'm from the U.S, currently a undergrad studying in college. My father is from the Krio people of Sierra Leone. His brothers and cousins, are all STEM professors/researchers, programmers, or have government jobs. Most are married, and the men who are divorced still support their ex-wives and children. Meanwhile, in my mother's family (who are from the U.S) quite a few of her siblings dropped out of high school, college, or in the case of my cousins flunked out, and are now pursuing dead-end jobs, but are usually married or in stable relationships. Unfortunately with some exception, this behavior pattern isn't uncommon. What I've also noticed is that a lot of the black american men I've talked to, aren't really as chivalrous as the African Immigrants. They also aren't as ambitious. On my campus alone, many aren't pursing "hard" career goals, like Masters or Doctorate programs in business, government or any of the sciences. I also noticed a lot of Black American women are more open to raising children in broken home dynamics (a session of "baby daddies" or no father in the picture at all), more than a lot of African women who usually date with the eventual intention of marriage and a good estate.

If we all came from the same continent I'm trying to figure out why there seems to be so many differences between the general cultures. Anyone knows?
Re: Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by whitebeard(m): 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2017
They follow their passion, here mommy and daddy will wait use words and beating to shapen destiny.

But i prefer that we follow our passion, but our society (don't wanna use the government, cause I don't think the government is responsible on this one) doesn't favour that, well somepeople still do, u can find them mostly in arts and the military, while the medicine is majorly occupied by people doing it without passion cause their parents forced them into doing (not necessarily their parents, peers, role models and stuffs like that).
Re: Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by Shinapraise(m): 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2017
I want you to know in Africa we value education and our culture is still intact to some aspects we are taught to be obedience and respectful and cherish education and knowledge the real African has all this values and cultural beliefs but the contemporary American men don't have the right culture the culture they embrace are from the white and with other tribes so there is a fusion of culture this makes them behaved any how

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by AkosuaBrownie: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2017
whitebeard:
They follow their passion, here mommy and daddy will wait use words and beating to shapen destiny.

But i prefer that we follow our passion, but our society (don't wanna use the government, cause I don't think the government is responsible on this one) doesn't favour that, well somepeople still do, u can find them mostly in arts and the military, while the medicine is majorly occupied by people doing it without passion cause their parents forced them into doing (not necessarily their parents, peers, role models and stuffs like that).

Mmmm, good point. I was talking to a Igbo fellow who was pursing pharmacy, but he apparently didn't like the field at all and was going for it to make money and because his mother encouraged it. However, there just seems to be a general disinterest in learning or getting ahead in life overall. A lot of African Immigrants I see to some degree enjoy studying, math, chess, politics, ect. Most American men are only really into sports.
Re: Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2017
There is no such thing as African culture. Africa is a continent of more than 50 countries with diverse cultures. Even in most African countries, there are very diverse cultures. I'm from Ethiopia and there are more than 80 ethnic groups with diverse cultures.

You said that African Americans are relatively less ambitious than immigrants Africans in USA. The main reason for this is because most of the Africans there went with the ambition of purpose. But there are many Africans here in Africa with the mindset like the African Americans you are describing. You are comparing the few Africans there with the general African American popular. Judging like this won't give you objective answers just like comparing few Americans with the general African population won't.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by AkosuaBrownie: 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2017
Hati13:
There is no such thing as African culture. Africa is a continent of more than 50 countries with diverse cultures. Even in most African countries, there are very diverse cultures. I'm from Ethiopia and there are more than 80 ethnic groups with diverse cultures.

You said that African Americans are relatively less ambitious than immigrants Africans in USA. The main reason for this is because most of the Africans there went with the ambition of purpose. But there are many Africans here in Africa with the mindset like the African Americans you are describing. You are comparing the few Africans there with the general African American popular. Judging like this won't give you objective answers just like comparing few Americans with the general African population won't.

As I mentioned before, I'm Krio and have several friends of varying tribes. I know that Africa in itself is not a culture and very rarely do I describe it that way (at most I would say a "generalization of West African culture", since many of the tribes have similar values and customs), however, judging from the fact that I only have so many characters to work with as a question title, and I even admitted to it being a generalization, I was hoping that could be overlooked and you could get a gist of what I mean.

As for the rest of what you said, I could agree to a extent however, in the U.S we do get our fair share of immigrants from other parts of the world, who migrate here for the same opportunities, however Nigerians and East Asians are among the most educated groups in our country compared to Native born whites and blacks. And objectively speaking through polls, African/Black Immigrants make 30% more than Native African Americans. Statistically, they are married more (48% of them compared to 28% of blacks), and additionally pursue higher degrees (26% vs 19%). It's very objective, and documented.
Re: Why Is There Such A Difference Between African And African American Culture? by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 02, 2017
Do you mean these by culture:

Burial rites
Birth, coming of age and marriage ceremonies, other forms of cetemonies
Harvest, the roles of men and women, children etc

Of course they can't be the same. First because every African tribe has a way of doing and African Americans have a mix of many. Second, time. Even African cultures change over time. When they intermarry, move to different climates, conquest, etc.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife And His Wife, Olori Prophetess Naomi, Host Aje Festival -more photos / Oba Ewuare Of Benin Married To Two Sisters (see Photos) / Lady Under Spiritual Cleansing Shows Off Zanku Moves, Shocks Spiritualist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.