Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,307 members, 7,826,214 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland (1619 Views)

I Just Launched A Website Like Nairaland For African Youths / How To Create A Forum Like Nairaland / I Need A Site Like Njatym blog Or A Site Like Nairaland Created With Blogger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by asalimpo(m): 10:12pm On Dec 02, 2017
Just a decent calculated guess.
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by Dmayor7(m): 11:56pm On Dec 02, 2017
asalimpo:
Just a decent calculated guess.

From scratch, I will say around 4 to 6 months..

Using already cloned scripts or CMS, I can take from 3 days to a 7 days.

My own humble opinion.
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by jidez007: 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2017
Approx 7 days with no cms
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by LaiveNg: 8:41pm On Dec 04, 2017
With my favourite PHP framework (CodeIgniter), I can recode Nairaland in less than 3 months...
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by excanny: 11:02pm On Dec 04, 2017
Ask Seun.
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by olamil34(m): 11:26pm On Dec 04, 2017
with python django 3days

[url]quickfinda.com[/url]
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by Nobody: 5:59am On Dec 05, 2017
LaiveNg:
With my favourite PHP framework (CodeIgniter), I can recode Nairaland in less than 3 months...

I feel sad for u, the rest of the world has moved on. That's a legacy framework you are using
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by LaiveNg: 11:02am On Dec 05, 2017
pcguru1:

I feel sad for u, the rest of the world has moved on. That's a legacy framework you are using
You don't have to be sorry for me because you're speaking purely out of ignorance! I expect you to know that what works for you may not work for everyone else.
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 05, 2017
LaiveNg:

You don't have to be sorry for me because you're speaking purely out of ignorance! I expect you to know that what works for you may not work for everyone else.

[s]Codeigniter is outdated, this is not an insult to you or anything it's just fact, check the trends you won't find anyone giving out projects in CI except legacy projects it's mostly Laravel,Symfony, Yii and rarely Zend. It's not about what works for me but how slow a framework is to catch up with the PSR/FIG Standards. Like I said nothing personal while using CI i will advise at least pick up Laravel , you will get alot of projects from it.[/s]

Sorry just seeing there's a CI4 last version i touched was 3 and it had no namespace it seems 4 follows [b]*some* [/b]PSR Standard and still in beta.
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by yorex2011: 1:24pm On Dec 05, 2017
Using Laravel
Database schema design 6 hrs
Models : users, profiles, forums, threads, replies, followables, roles and permission, likeables, sharables, attachments - these are the basics alongside relationships - maybe 6hrs
Controllers: For all models (both admin and user) maybe 24hrs

Api: For threads, forums, bla bla.. Maybe like 12hrs

Views: Forum, Thread, User, Reply, Admin etc... Like maybe like 18hrs

Testing: like 96hrs

Re iterations and bug fixing maybe 24hrs.

So it cud take like a month at least
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by Desyner: 10:32am On Dec 06, 2017
yorex2011:
Using Laravel
Database schema design 6 hrs
Models : users, profiles, forums, threads, replies, followables, roles and permission, likeables, sharables, attachments - these are the basics alongside relationships - maybe 6hrs
Controllers: For all models (both admin and user) maybe 24hrs

Api: For threads, forums, bla bla.. Maybe like 12hrs

Views: Forum, Thread, User, Reply, Admin etc... Like maybe like 18hrs

Testing: like 96hrs

Re iterations and bug fixing maybe 24hrs.

So it cud take like a month at least
Most sensible and detailed answer so far. People think it is all about opening thread and posting replies. Scalability issues makes NL unique also, security, seo, and those domain you highlighted must be complete including mention(s), banning, hiding posts, etc Nairaland is so sophisticated asides it scale but works and I like its light page sizes which improves speed/load time.
Re: How Long Would It Take To Create A Site Like Nairaland by jidez007: 11:21am On Dec 06, 2017
Desyner:
Most sensible and detailed answer so far. People think it is all about opening thread and posting replies. Scalability issues makes NL unique also, security, seo, and those domain you highlighted must be complete including mention(s), banning, hiding posts, etc Nairaland is so sophisticated asides it scale but works and I like its light page sizes which improves speed/load time.
Well it also depends on the level of experience of the developer.

If you have solved a problem once, do you think you would spend the same amount of time when next you encounter it?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Apps Built Using React Native. / Check Out My Nairaland Clone Website Page / Place Your App On Google Playstore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.