Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,408 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! - Culture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (75302 Views)

Anioma/Asaba People Are Not Igbo / Why Did Yoruba Culture Survive In Latin America And Not Igbo Or Others / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 7:19pm On Dec 14, 2022
UGBE634:
The word Isuoma itself is Igbo, there is no group with the sole name Igbo. They are all Igbos, what would only make sense is that they sold some other igbo groups just the way some Yoruba groups sold some others
We are making headway

There is or there was no group with the name Igbo
Igbos only began to identify as such AFTER Nigeria was created and even more DURING the Biafra war
Also
Igbos have NEVER claimed a common ancestor
Also there is no such thing as mutual intelligibility of Igbo dialects. At least not all. Some dialects are TOTALLY unintelligible to some speakers of so called Central Igbo

So
If there was never an Igbo nation and you decide to have one after Biafra why must Ikwerre join something that they were NEVER part of in their history? because your languages are similar?
They speak French Italian and German in Switzerland. Does not make them German
They speak Hausa across Northern Nigeria does not make them all Hausa

Ikwerre are NOT Igbo

That Igbo identity you are championing is new and a creation of colonial Nigeria.
It is not part of Ikwerre history
They speak some form of Arabic in Morocco,Libya,Algeria and Tunisia does not make them same or that they should be in same country
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 7:23pm On Dec 14, 2022
UGBE634:
Ikwerre is similar But different just as how Nsukka is similar but different, an Ikwerre man will even understand central Igbo better than a man from Ezza man in Ebonyi state. Those guys from Imo and Abia axis understand Ikwerre very well better than a man from Oyo would understand Owo
So what?
Portuguese people understand Spanish and Italian to some extent
So f uckking what?
Ikwerre is a Language it is NOT a dialect of Igbo
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 7:27pm On Dec 14, 2022
UGBE634:
Ikwerre is similar But different just as how Nsukka is similar but different, an Ikwerre man will even understand central Igbo better than a man from Ezza man in Ebonyi state. Those guys from Imo and Abia axis understand Ikwerre very well better than a man from Oyo would understand Owo
Bananas are similar to plantain but are not plantains
Tangerines are similar to oranges but are not oranges
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by UGBE634: 7:43pm On Dec 14, 2022
omonnakoda:
We are making headway

There is or there was no group with the name Igbo
Igbos only began to identify as such AFTER Nigeria was created and even more DURING the Biafra war
Also
Igbos have NEVER claimed a common ancestor
Also there is no such thing as mutual intelligibility of Igbo dialects. At least not all. Some dialects are TOTALLY unintelligible to some speakers of so called Central Igbo

So
If there was never an Igbo nation and you decide to have one after Biafra why must Ikwerre join something that they were NEVER part of in their history? because your languages are similar?
They speak French Italian and German in Switzerland. Does not make them German
They speak Hausa across Northern Nigeria does not make them all Hausa

Ikwerre are NOT Igbo

That Igbo identity you are championing is new and a creation of colonial Nigeria.
It is not part of Ikwerre history
They speak some form of Arabic in Morocco,Libya,Algeria and Tunisia does not make them same or that they should be in same country
It takes some features for a people to be Igbo. (1) the culture (2) the language. In every large group, there are low intelligible areas, some must have become so perforated that intelligibility will be low especially at border areas, it is not exclusive to Igbos, I gave example for Owo and Oyo, that is if the Owo man cannot understand Oyo, it will be harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for an Owo man without the understanding of Oyo to communicate directly with the Oyo man. So it is not exclusive to Igbos.

Why are you so interested in the issue, it is certainly not out of love, what is your axe to grind in it, you are certainly not Ikwerre, why are you so neckdeep in it. The first igbo group that the term Igbo was used was not even the south easterners, it was the Aboh group in delta state.

But for Yoruba(oyo) which is the central dialect, even the Yorubas would find it hard to communicate with themselves. According to the Awujale of Ijebu, he said if he speaks his language, an Ekiti man would not understand him.

That one Is Igbo or not is strictly an issue of related dialects (of course up to seventy percent "relativeness", the only group that would not pass that test is Ekpeye) customs, traditions, and so on, . If not rivers state that was created in 1967, are you aware there are related towns in rivers and imo. While the one in Imo is certain about his Identity because he is in the south east, the one in Rivers state is confused because he is in the south south, I mean they are related.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by UGBE634: 7:46pm On Dec 14, 2022
omonnakoda:
So what?
Portuguese people understand Spanish and Italian to some extent
So f uckking what?
Ikwerre is a Language it is NOT a dialect of Igbo
what I am telling you is that Ikwerre would understand central Igbo better than some groups in the south east, yet those ones are Igbo, Ikwerre is not . The division yakubu gowon had wanted to create is working, if not that rivers state was created in 1967, we won't be having this conversation.

That these guys are Igbo or not is the aftermath of civil war and the oil politics
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 7:58pm On Dec 14, 2022
UGBE634:
what I am telling you is that Ikwerre would understand central Igbo better than some groups in the south east, yet those ones are Igbo, Ikwerre is not . The division yakubu gowon had wanted to create is working, if not that rivers state was created in 1967, we won't be having this conversation.

That these guys are Igbo or not is the aftermath of civil war and the oil politics
So what if they understand central Igbo better than some groups in SE ? That is just a claim YOU are making but let us assume it is TRUE . What does that prove? What is your point?? Don't you or can't you see the illogic in what you are saying/ Are we to conclude that those SE groups that do not understand so called central Igbo are not Igbo? It proves NOTHING

Who made any version of Central igbo central? Do you know how that came about?

It is not true that we would not be having this conversation if Rivers state had not been created

This conversation started before independence. All the noise before the Willinks commission in 1957 was around this issue. The formation of Ogbakor Ikwerre in 1963 was around this issue
The decision to reject Igbo bible and commission Ikwerre bible same issue
Here you are lying that it had to do with Rivers State creation

If they really are your kith and kin
How come they are the greatest beneficiaries of abandoned property laws, Yoruba never applied it in the SW.
They have never identified as Igbo so stop this self deception that it started with Rivers State

Apart from Ngwa tell us which Igbo group is bigger than Ikwerre for them to not know who they are
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by RedboneSmith(m): 7:58pm On Dec 14, 2022
ariesbull:
lies...Owerri call strangers as Isuoma same with Ohaji

Stop these lies this monkey ....I am from there and they are igbo

True. Isoma is a term used all over the southern half of Imo State to describe 'upland' Igbos; and it comes from Isuama, the name of the Igbo-speaking stock of the Orlu axis in the more northerly part of Imo State. The claim that it means 'good slave' is a malevolent lie, which is of course not surprising, considering who it is coming from.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 8:41pm On Dec 14, 2022
FROM IKWERRE BIBLE

ẸRNU ELE IZI 7
Ikwu-ọnu Sitivini
1Nye risi arịohna sịkwa Sitivini, “Nhne ka be nookwu megidne i, ọ bụ n'ezi?”
2Sitivini sarụ be, “Rụmu nda m, nụ ele nda, anụ bnote nsnị. Chiokike ke zị igwugwu mernu Ebereham, nda aị ọknani, whnụ a anya nga ọ zị n'ẹli Mesopotemia, sụ o znernu wuru nụ Haranị. 3Ọ kanụ a, ‘Sịgbasi ezi-nụ-ọro i nụ ẹli i, zne n'ẹli ke me jeegesi i.’
4“Ọ sịgbasi ẹli Kalidia zne wuru nụ Haranị. Nga nda Ebereham nwụrnu, Chiokike mernu o bnanya n'ẹli ka, hne anụ wu kịtna. 5N'ige wam Chiokike nyéne Ebereham agwna ẹli ka ma ọ bụru ke a, ọ bụbedi otu rẹnu ọchi, kọvu Chiokike kweru a mkwna nụ o jeenye a ẹli ka, ma ọ bụru ke a nụ ẹbnurnu ele joosno a n'aznụ. Nga Chiokike kweru mkwna ka, Ebereham nwée rụmu. 6Ka bụ nhne Chiokike kannụ a, ‘Rụmu ị joowu n'ẹli berere, hne be jọoburu ele ọhi, be jeeme be nhne ọjo riwhu awha ẹno.’ 7Kọvu Chiokike karụ, ‘M jeekpe ele wam be jọobunu ọhi ikpe, omekwo, be jeehi n'ẹli wam whụya, be jọokponu m risi ẹli nụ hna.’ 8Chiokike mernu ọgba-njọ-ẹhni ọkpa nka zịri n'esilawụru ya nụ Ebereham. Ebereham kparụ Aziki nnwọ a nka nga ọ gbarụ ọbochi ẹsato kpa be mụrnu a, Aziki kpa Jekọpu nka, Jekọpu kpa nri nụ rụmu a lawụru ele nda aị ọknani nka.
9“Ele nda aị ọknani kwnosiri nwene be Josefu awụwa, be rezne a Ijipiti lele ọhi, kọvu Chiokike dagwụnu a, 10dọhia a nụ kpakara mkpa a. Nga Josefu gwuzo nụ ruwhnu Fero, eze Ijipiti, Chiokike nyernu a ruwhnu ọma nụ akọniche. Fero mernu a nye risi ọchichi kpakara Ijipiti nụ kpakara ọro eze.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 8:42pm On Dec 14, 2022
Maybe it was Fulani that forced Ikwerre to use RUMU

in their bible
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 8:48pm On Dec 14, 2022
FROM IGBO BIBLE

1Onye-isi-nchu-àjà we si, Ìhe ndia di otú a? 2O we si,
Umu-nnam na ndi bu nnam, nurunu. Chineke nke ebube mere ka nna-ayi Abraham hu Ya anya, mb͕e ọ nọ na Mesọpọtemia, mb͕e ọ kēbighi na Heran, 3O we si ya, Si n'ala-gi na n'etiti ikwu-gi pua, bia n'ala ahu nke M'gēgosi gi. 4Mb͕e ahu o siri n'ala ndi Kaldea puta, we biri na Heran: mb͕e nna-ya nwuru, Chineke we me ka o site n'ebe ahu bia biri n'ala nka, nke unu onwe-unu bi nime ya ub͕u a: 5ma O nyeghi ya ala-nketa nime ya, é-è, Ọ nyeghi ya ebe izọkwasi ukwu-ya: O we kwe nkwa na O gēwere ya nye ya, na nkpuru-ya soro ya n'azu, ka ọ buru ihe ha nwere, mb͕e ọ kādighi nwa ọ muru. 6Ma Chineke kwuru okwu otú a, na nkpuru-ya gānọ dika ndi-ọbìa n'ala nābughi nke aka ha, na ndi ala ahu gēme kwa ha ka ha buru ndi-orù, me kwa ha ihe ọjọ, nnù arọ. 7Mba ahu nke ha gābu orù-ha ka Mu onwem gēkpe kwa ikpé, ka Chineke kwuru: mb͕e ihe ndia gasiri ha gāputa kwa, kpe-kwa-ram n'ebe a. 8O we nye ya ọb͕ub͕a-ndu nke obibì-úgwù: otú a Abraham we mua Aisak, we bì ya úgwù n'ubọchi nke-asatọ; Aisak we mua Jekob, Jekob we mua nna uku ayi iri na abua. 9Nna uku ahu, ebe ha nēkwo Josef ekworo, ha we re ya ga n'Ijipt: ma Chineke nọyere ya
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2022
UGBE634:
It takes some features for a people to be Igbo. (1) the culture (2) the language. In every large group, there are low intelligible areas, some must have become so perforated that intelligibility will be low especially at border areas, it is not exclusive to Igbos, I gave example for Owo and Oyo, that is if the Owo man cannot understand Oyo, it will be harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for an Owo man without the understanding of Oyo to communicate directly with the Oyo man. So it is not exclusive to Igbos.

Why are you so interested in the issue, it is certainly not out of love, what is your axe to grind in it, you are certainly not Ikwerre, why are you so neckdeep in it. The first igbo group that the term Igbo was used was not even the south easterners, it was the Aboh group in delta state.

But for Yoruba(oyo) which is the central dialect, even the Yorubas would find it hard to communicate with themselves. According to the Awujale of Ijebu, he said if he speaks his language, an Ekiti man would not understand him.

That one Is Igbo or not is strictly an issue of related dialects (of course up to seventy percent "relativeness", the only group that would not pass that test is Ekpeye) customs, traditions, and so on, . If not rivers state that was created in 1967, are you aware there are related towns in rivers and imo. While the one in Imo is certain about his Identity because he is in the south east, the one in Rivers state is confused because he is in the south south, I mean they are related.
Number one thing it takes is self identification
If a group say they are not Igbo that is the end of it
Have they ever identified as Igbo at any time in THEIR HISTORY?

The answer is a resounding NO
If today the Ngwa who historically were never identified as Igbo before 1900 decide they are that is THEIR choice. We know that at various times they , too, have denied being "IGBO" But it is ultimately down to them
The simple and unescapable fact is

The Igbo group Identity as we now know it only started AFTER the creation of Nigeria NOT before

So the Ikwerre are well within their right to say they want no part of it

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by Probz(m): 9:40pm On Dec 14, 2022
I’m sorry but linguistically Ikwerre is just complex Igbo.
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by UGBE634: 9:55pm On Dec 14, 2022
omonnakoda:

If today the Ngwa who historically were never identified as Igbo before 1900 decide they are that is THEIR choice. We know that at various times they , too, have denied being "IGBO" But it is ultimately down to them

The Igbo group Identity as we now know it only started AFTER the creation of Nigeria NOT before

"Abaribe can't be more Igbo than I. Most Igbo people cannot interpret Abaribe, but most Igbo understand and can interpret Amaechi"

Amaechi is from which tribe again Ijebu? Is Abaribe not from the south east?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://dailypost.ng/2018/11/27/eastern-railway-controversy-cant-igbo-amaechi-dares-abaribe/%3Famp%3D1&ved=2ahUKEwjYo5DT__n7AhUlhc4BHR8WATYQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Ctz5QqOqAikm_cwJcWUKX
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 10:01pm On Dec 14, 2022
UGBE634:
"Abaribe can't be more Igbo than I. Most Igbo people cannot interpret Abaribe, but most Igbo understand and can interpret Amaechi"

Amaechi is from which tribe again Ijebu? Is Abaribe not from the south east?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://dailypost.ng/2018/11/27/eastern-railway-controversy-cant-igbo-amaechi-dares-abaribe/%3Famp%3D1&ved=2ahUKEwjYo5DT__n7AhUlhc4BHR8WATYQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Ctz5QqOqAikm_cwJcWUKX
Irrelevant

The Ikwerre people Say they are not Igbo
At no point in their history have they carried that Moniker

NOT even for one day. That is the summary of it all.
If they are to start one day that decision should be THEIRS don't you think?
Did Ikwerre people identify as Ikwerre before Rivers State was created? Absolutely

They sent someone to represent them at the Willinks commission in 1957, why?
Did Ezzi ,Ngwa,Aro, Owerri send anyone? How come of all the so called Igbo groups only Ikwerre went there?

They formed Ogbakor Ikwerre in 1963 Why?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ariesbull: 4:02am On Dec 15, 2022
RedboneSmith:

True. Isoma is a term used all over the southern half of Imo State to describe 'upland' Igbos; and it comes from Isuama, the name of the Igbo-speaking stock of the Orlu axis in the more northerly part of Imo State. The claim that it means 'good slave' is a malevolent lie, which is of course not surprising, considering who it is coming from.
don't mind the bastard

from Owerri all the way to Ikwerre call strangers Isoma

just like ngwa call Ohuhu
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ariesbull: 4:04am On Dec 15, 2022
omonnakoda:

you talk like a clown... just like ijebu have never identified as yoruba

Ngwa never identified as Igbo....you must be smoking jink
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ariesbull: 4:45am On Dec 15, 2022
omonnakoda:
What do Ikwerre call Igbos
Onye igbo
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 9:14am On Dec 15, 2022
ariesbull:
Onye igbo
Funny

Not NdiIsuoma grin
Ikwerre do not say ONYE

They are not Ibos
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 9:15am On Dec 15, 2022
ariesbull:
you talk like a clown... just like ijebu have never identified as yoruba

Ngwa never identified as Igbo....you must be smoking jink
You talk like a fool
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ariesbull: 10:18am On Dec 15, 2022
omonnakoda:
Funny

Not NdiIsuoma grin
Ikwerre do not say ONYE

They are not Ibos

MUGU ....I nwere girls wey dey bear Onyinye na what
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 10:26am On Dec 15, 2022
ariesbull:

MUGU ....I nwere girls wey dey bear Onyinye na what
What has Onyinye a name got to do with a generic like Onye Igbo

That is not a phrase Ikwerre use
According to your logic they calll Igbo
Onye Igbo does that not prove they are NOT Igbo?

Do Igbo people refer to themselves as Onye Igbo?

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ariesbull: 12:50pm On Dec 15, 2022
omonnakoda:
What has Onyinye a name got to do with a generic like Onye Igbo

That is not a phrase Ikwerre use
According to your logic they calll Igbo
Onye Igbo does that not prove they are NOT Igbo?

Do Igbo people refer to themselves as Onye Igbo?
no go get High BP on igbo matter
..see as you busy dey type rubbish since days now

abi you no get job this afonja man
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 12:54pm On Dec 15, 2022
ariesbull:
no go get High BP on igbo matter
..see as you busy dey type rubbish since days now

abi you no get job this afonja man

grin This plagiocephalic man!!

How is Ikwerre matter Igbo matter

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by ariesbull: 1:02pm On Dec 15, 2022
omonnakoda:

grin This plagiocephalic man!!

How is Ikwerre matter Igbo matter
Afonja no go die for igbo
matter
Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by omonnakoda: 1:07pm On Dec 15, 2022
ariesbull:
Afonja no go die for igbo
matter
Plagiocephaly guy

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! by raumdeuter: 11:19pm On Aug 14, 2023
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Ooni Adeyeye-Ogunwusi Remarries As Marriage Crashes - SDK (Photo) / Wells Carlton Hotel Staff Prostrate To Welcome Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.