Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate (1068 Views)

Zenith Bank Fixed Deposit Interest Rate / Interest Rate On Fixed Deposit Accounts In Nigeria / Interest Rate On Fixed Deposit Accounts In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate by jeez: 12:32pm On Mar 29, 2010
Vanguard reported today that there is a daily increase in capital flight due to the unattractive fixed deposit interest rates to neighbouring countries. wheras nigerian banks offer 3% neighbouring banks like banks in Ghana offer 14%. This is a fallout of the ongoing reforms. Nairanders kindly express your views on this development as it affects the nigerian economy.
Re: Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate by whatalife: 6:42pm On Mar 29, 2010
@poster,
I read it too in the papers.
Is a very serious issue with all this abracadabra by sanusi.
If banks in Ghana can be offering 14% i see no reason why people should not move their cash out of Nigeria.
Re: Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate by meetvalue(m): 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2010
Na wa ooooo,.
I really dont know where this country is heading to.
May God help us.
Re: Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate by Emotivator(m): 12:54am On Mar 30, 2010
Until we wake up and face the fact, banking in nigeria will remain shaky.
Re: Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate by jazzsoul: 9:12pm On Apr 01, 2010
@poster,
I read it too in the papers.
Is a very serious issue with all this abracadabra by sanusi.
If banks in Ghana can be offering 14% i see no reason why people should not move their cash out of Nigeria.

If a bank in Nigeria offered you 14% APR on your deposit, at what rate will the bank loan out your deposit to businesses to make money? High interest rates are not always good for the economy. The banks that were offereing those high interest rates were engaging in highly speculative and risky investments in order to earn decent ROI. This was what led to the bubble economy in Nigeria that has now exploded.

It is almost impossible to find a retail bank in the U.S that will pay more than 2% on fixed deposit unless you are investing a couple of millions for a lengthy period. Short term speculative investments are not often good for an economy. Boom and bust cycle.
Re: Capital Flight Due To Crash In Bank Interest Rate by whatalife: 4:28pm On Apr 05, 2010
@jazzsoul,
Fixed deposit rates in Nigerian banks for a very long time has been btw 10 to 20% depending on the amount for a very long time.

(1) (Reply)

Invest In Treasury Bills In Nigeria / Mercedes-benz Sprinter Bus Available For Hire Purchase Very Urgently!! / Naira Devaluation Is Not The Solution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.