Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Amaechi & 25th October 2007: The Significance, Implications On Rivers State And - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi & 25th October 2007: The Significance, Implications On Rivers State And (394 Views)

'they Were Focused On Rivers, Didn't See It Coming In Kano' - Ben Bruce / Elections Postponement: The Implications On The Common Nigerian / The NGO Regulatory Bill: Summary & Its Implications On NGOs In Nigeria (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi & 25th October 2007: The Significance, Implications On Rivers State And by NwaorguF: 12:15pm On Dec 05, 2017
“Finally, let me reiterate that if the magical date, 25th October, 2007 did not change the political landscape of Rivers State and impacted positively on the politics of Rivers State and that of Nigeria then I wonder which other date in the annals of our history did better” - Eze

AMAECHI & 25TH OCTOBER 2007: THE SIGNIFICANCE, IMPLICATIONS ON RIVERS STATE AND THE NATION (PART TWO)

By Eze Chukwuemeka Eze,

Preamble

Some weeks ago, in an article I titled, “AMAECHI & 25TH OCTOBER: IMPLICATIONS ON RIVERS STATE AND THE NATION A DECADE AFTER (PART ONE)”, I examined the significant position of 25th October, 2007 in the political evolution of Rivers State and Nigeria at large using some of the facts postulated by Herbert Swope to expose how Amaechi challenged the powers that were at this period and succeeded to curve a niche for himself in the annals of the politics of Nigeria. According to Swope, “To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the untraveled path. Being bold in the face of uncertainty will help give your team courage and motivate them to keep striving when the going gets tough” Ken Kesey went further to x-ray the impacts of Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi on the politics of Rivers State and that of Nigeria when he stated, “You don’t lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case.” It was based on this truism that I stated, “This day was not only epochal, sacrosanct, monumental but historical in the politics of Rivers State as the outcome of the Supreme Court bold judgement on this day redefined the politics of Rivers State and enhanced the potentials of Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi the major character in this episode in his contributions to the development and emancipation of Rivers State and the national politics as a whole”.

This date as I earlier stated in segment one of this treatise derives its significance from the K-legged episode that resulted to the outright hijack of the 2007 PDP gubernatorial ticket which Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi won ahead of the 14th April, 2007 election in Rivers State and the vindication of his mandate by the Supreme Court on 25th October, 2007 when it declared him not only the authentic flag-bearer of PDP but also that he be sworn in to immediately replace Sir Celestine Omehia who had previously been sworn in on May 29, 2007 as the Governor of Rivers State. Thus, he became the first person to occupy the office of governor in the country without technically standing for election. In explaining the ruling, the Supreme Court has since stated that it is the party that contests elections and that the PDP won the gubernatorial elections, and that, consequently, Amaechi, being the rightful candidate, should assume power as governor.

Reactions

Based on the explosive nature of this treatise, the following Nigerians reacted thus:

1. H E. Prince Tonye Princewill:
Prince Tonye Princewill is a scion of the famous Kalabari Kingdom in Rivers State, an influential political figure in Rivers State and most importantly a close associate of Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi and according to him, “I read your Brilliant work on Amaechi and 25th October. I thank God for you & your energy. Even though it appears that you are not appreciated the way you deserve, be rest assured that your reward is not only in heaven. You will also reap bountifully, here on earth. Some of us will make sure of that. I know the leader sees you as invaluable. I see you as not only irreplaceable but timely”.

2. George Tolofari
George Tolofari a trusted ally of Amaechi, fearless, honest and forthright person in whom in his company, you can sleep with your two eyes closed. He reacted with these words, “Good one! Not to also forget that I rallied the troupe that went back to the House after the purported impeachment of Otele Amachree as the Speaker of the RSHA, that enabled the then Deputy Governor, Engr. Tele Ikuru to present the supplementary bill before the House. That action marked a turning point in authenticating Otele as the Speaker thereby rubbishing what the Ogu/Bolo chap, Evans Bipi and his co renegade travellers did earlier

Also to note, I sat in the House on that day after the appropriation bill was presented until the Deputy Governor left the House. After sitting and members scrambling to safety because Evans and co had mobilized back to the House with thugs, the mace, the symbol of authority was left behind. I was the one who went back to retrieve the mace and smuggled it in one of the cars we went with to the Assembly and took it to the Government House

I think I will have to take time, sit down and write my role in the Amaechi struggle before people forget most of the strategic roles I played. Otherwise, histories will the distorted”

3. H. E. Ambassador Oji N. Ngofa, Nigerian Ambassador to the Netherlands
If there is any politician that Governor Wike dreads and holds in awe, Ambassador Ngofa is that politician. Unassuming, amiable, humble but you don’t because of these qualities try to undermine him and if you do, I am sorry that you do that at your own peril. When during the 2015 general elections in Rivers State while other Rivers APC Leaders were busy doing noting in Port Harcourt, Ngofa was at his Local Government marching Wike and the dreaded PDP terror squad in a way that Wike lost all the elections that was held in Eleme Local Government Area including both the State and National Assembly, gubernatorial and presidential elections. To me, Ambassador Ngofa is the Tiger of Niger Delta Politics for cutting Wike to seize.

I was not surprised therefore when the Federal Government announced him as the Nigerian Ambassador to Netherlands. I presume that he may be the youngest or amongst the youngest ever appointed to such an exalted position but he merits it because he proved that he is a true change agent.

According to him, “Chief Eze, Once again, thank you for your tireless projection and elucidation of the Amaechi persona which I believe is very necessary for the world to truly know and understand that he is truly an extraordinary person devoid of partisan colouration. I thank you”.

4. From a very important Aide to Amaechi during his tenure as Governor of Rivers State

“Chief Eze Chukwuemeka Eze: Just to commend you and to say that I read your piece on the R/s House of Assembly incident and the actors thereto. I agree with you to a considerable extent but will wish that you offer a paragraph in commending the all-important role played by Hon Irene Inimgba. She was the one who called me from her hiding inside one of the toilet rooms, to inform that Hon Kelechi Nwogu had brought in a Maze to legitimize the sitting of 5 Assembly members whose business was to impeach the Speaker and go ahead to impeach my principal CRA.

This was the call that took us to the Assembly complex. Inside the hallowed chambers on that day at the nick of time, were (the prodigious) Hon Lloyd, CRA, (CSO) Tony Iwelu, (Orderly)Debewari and my good self. Confirm these facts for the avoidance of doubts. You don't need to mention my role anyhow, but for the records, that female member of the house as aforenamed ought necessarily to be commended. We couldn't have been prophets or soothsayers to know what was to happen at the Assembly without that call. No more to be said”

5. Humphrey Bekaren

According to Mr. Humphrey Bakaren a Media mogul and a political strategist of note, “Chief Eze, I feel for you and I must confess that your commitment towards issues pertaining to Amaechi and his political family is unparalleled. The political happenings in Rivers State after 2015 is very unfortunate but I am happy that CRA is still holding both the knife and yam in Rivers State but he is still plagued by the Hamletian question of whether to be or not to be. It is a dilemma of sorts. These so-called law makers avowal coming after the Age on-going imbroglio should speak volumes”.

6. Dr Chidi Llyod

To me, the history of democracy in Nigeria particularly as it relates to the politics of Rivers State can’t be complete without the mention of Dr Llyod and the risk he took to safeguard democracy in Nigeria and according to this unsung sage,

“My dear chief, thank you for your kind words. My people have a saying that, the head upon which the coconut is broken is usually not the mouth that chews it. I have no regret I stood for justice, it doesn't matter what the situation is now, at the appropriate time, history will be kind to me!

For lack of space, I can’t reflect all the reactions but will like to reassure all and sundry that played a part in making this dream of 25th October, 2007 a reality that their efforts will not be an exercise in futility as my communication with Chief Oby Ndukwe who is an authority on issues pertaining to Amaechi will surely result in chronicling all these thoughts in a book which I believe will assist to articulate and record for posterity the parts played by these patriotic Nigerians in moulding the Amaechi that we have today.

For avoidance of doubt read all about the first segment of this treatise in any of these International Media Links –

http://www.dailyglobewatch.eu/index.php?url=2017/10/amaechi-25th-october-implications-on-rivers-state-and-the-nation-a.html, http://puoreports.com/2017/10/30/amaechi-25th-october-implication-on-rivers-state-and-the-nation-a-decade-after-part-one, http://www.ndokwareporters.com/2017/10/30/amaechi-25th-october-implications-on-rivers-state-and-the-nation-a-decade-after-part-one/, https://elombah.com/index.php/politics/21445-amaechi-25th-october-implications-on-rivers-state-and-the-nation-a-decade-after-i, https://www.nairaland.com/4148695/amaechi-25th-october-implications-rivers, https://www.agendang.com/amaechi-25th-october-implications-on-rivers-state-and-the-nation-a-decade-after-part-one/ or http://africaupdatenewspaper.com/columns-corner/amaechi-25th-october-implications-rivers-state-nation-decade-part-one/
Re: Amaechi & 25th October 2007: The Significance, Implications On Rivers State And by yeyeboi(m): 12:16pm On Dec 05, 2017
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: PDP Vowes To Reclaim Power Come 2019 / Docility + Bad Leadership: A wake Up Call To All Nigerian Youths. A Must Read / Festac On Fire As Petrol Tanker Falls And Explodes (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.