Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

So Where Does The Language English Come From????? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / So Where Does The Language English Come From????? (684 Views)

Where In Ogun State Does Oluremi Tinubu Parents Come From? / Some Rare Animals That Seem To Come From Another World / Top SA University Drops Afrikaans (The Language of the "Oppressor") (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Theix9: 7:11pm On Dec 05, 2017
This language English most of us now speak nowadays, well, it's almost very normal to deduce it comes from England, 'cos of the "Eng" in both the "prefixes".
Lol, kindly prepare your mind to be enlightened.

What if I told you it was called Englaland.

English is actually a language that really started with the arrival of three Germanic tribes who invaded Britain during the 5th century AD.
The tribes were The angles, The Saxons, and The Jutes.

As at that time, the people of Britain spoke an ancient Celtic language, but were pushed to the northern and Western parts by these Invaders (Angles, Saxons, Jutes).
Now here's the catch, The angles originally came from a place called "Englaland" and their language was called "Englisc". Which are now known as "England" and "English".
But it wasn't just their language that was fused into the British.

English is divided into 4.
Old English
Middle English
Early modern English
Late modern English.

As Bonus here's simple facts about English.

Only two English words in current use end in "-gry". They are "angry" and "hungry".

The word "bookkeeper" (along with its associate "bookkeeping"wink is the only unhyphenated English word with three consecutive double letters. Other such words, like "sweet-toothed", require a hyphen to be readily readable.

More English words begin with the letter "s" than with any other letter.

Read full post at https://theix9..com.ng/2017/12/EnglishandEngland.html?m=1

Bless up.
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by python1: 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2017
This thread make sense die. Mods abeg, this one na express.
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by kachi19: 7:23pm On Dec 05, 2017
The Question is "How did Britain beat Spanish, French and portuguese to become The Global Language?"
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Ebios(m): 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2017
Did u study English or u just wrote from a layman's point of view
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 05, 2017
I speak a little german and yes there are a lot of similarities between them. Too many similarities to be a coincidence or a result of neologism.

NB: Use 'many' with uncountable nouns and 'much' with countable nouns. I almost made that mistake myself.
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Benjaniblinks(m): 9:23pm On Dec 05, 2017
Nice One. But Why Are U Redirecting Us To Ur Site?
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Theix9: 10:17pm On Dec 05, 2017
python1:
This thread make sense die. Mods abeg, this one na express.
Mods means??
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Theix9: 10:18pm On Dec 05, 2017
Ebios:
Did u study English or u just wrote from a layman's point of view
Did my research Nd brought it down to the laymans view
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Theix9: 10:21pm On Dec 05, 2017
Benjaniblinks:
Nice One. But Why Are U Redirecting Us To Ur Site?
Well, tbh it's to get more page views...but more importantly so you could see my other posts.
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Henrodah(m): 7:20am On Dec 06, 2017
Which one is angles? Is it not Anglo saxons?
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by python1: 7:48am On Dec 06, 2017
Theix9:

Mods means??
Meaning moderators should move the thread to front page. I like the topic and its content. grin
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Theix9: 8:31pm On Dec 06, 2017
Henrodah:
Which one is angles? Is it not Anglo saxons?
My point exactly... It's a combo
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by Henrodah(m): 7:37am On Dec 07, 2017
[quote author=Theix9 post=63043059]
My point exactly... It's a combo[/quote

OK bro
Re: So Where Does The Language English Come From????? by kingofthejungle(m): 9:43am On Dec 07, 2017
kachi19:
The Question is "How did Britain beat Spanish, French and portuguese to become The Global Language?"
Due to investment in scientific research and also becoming the De facto language in science and also several other reasons also

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

32 Signs You Need More Magnesium (and How To Get It) / NASU In Osun State University(uniosun) Embark On Strike. / Jamb 2018 E-slip Reprinting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.