Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,948 members, 7,821,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele (8315 Views)

External Reserves Hit $38.7bn, Rise By 50% In One Year / CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn / Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit 3-year High At $33.112 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by MishdaFish: 8:11am On Dec 06, 2017
While its true our reserve is growing, the figure quoted by Emefele is doubtful. This is cbn website as @ 30th the reserve was $34.9billion http://www.cbn.gov.ng/IntOps/Reserve.asp

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Reference(m): 8:18am On Dec 06, 2017
Great news. Sound financial management skills by this administration.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by IFNOTGOD(m): 8:19am On Dec 06, 2017
GetUmad:

Nope I don't need to. Tell me if your president knows anything about what you just wrote there. Tell me if Emefiele and Adeosun understand the dynamics of management of external reserve to the benefit of "growing" a "growing or dwindling economy".

You now see who needs to take a practical class and not just a "course" in whatever?

you dey mind dem

u have such an amount as savings yet we want to go n borrow so who is more foolish, problem is tomorrow u wont b able to see dis money cos its all figures dey quote like EFCC and when dey say use d recovered loot to fund d budget dey will tell u all are not in cash.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Caseless: 8:25am On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:
And they still say Buhari is not working... From $28 billion handed over to him in 2015 to $38 billion in November 2017. However the same reserve fell from $53 billion in 2008 to $43 billion in 2012 and then to $28.5 billion in may 2015 with nothing tangible to show for the depletion of the reserves. The worst is that even when oil prices were above 100 dollars our reserves instead of going up was still going down.
mystery is another name for Jonathan- the more you look, the less you see.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Caseless: 8:27am On Dec 06, 2017
Teacher1776:
But meanwhile, due to the government borrowing policies, Nigeria's debt is well over 60 billion dollars. So why stack money in foreign reserve when you are neck deep in debt.?
grin grin grin

You people can lie with figure you see on the internet. Same way Ben Bruce bandied fake figure and was embarrassed by Budgit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by hinograce: 8:34am On Dec 06, 2017
How does this benefit me a common man that is queueing in Lekki to buy fuel?
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by rhazaaq: 8:37am On Dec 06, 2017
mehnnnnn! this is good
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by ashjay001(m): 8:39am On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:
And they still say Buhari is not working... From $28 billion handed over to him in 2015 to $38 billion in November 2017. However the same reserve fell from $53 billion in 2008 to $43 billion in 2012 and then to $28.5 billion in may 2015 with nothing tangible to show for the depletion of the reserves. The worst is that even when oil prices were above 100 dollars our reserves instead of going up was still going down.

Tell them, my bro!

Let them continue wailing, instead of seeking a way to tap into this progress!

In 2019, they should hand it over to those who will deplete it again! Fools
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by ben4ever(m): 8:41am On Dec 06, 2017
Teacher1776:
But meanwhile, due to the government borrowing policies, Nigeria's debt is well over 60 billion dollars. So why stack money in foreign reserve when you are neck deep in debt.?

And eventually pay huge sums to service the debt
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by donqx: 8:47am On Dec 06, 2017
good
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Mofe72: 9:12am On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:

Our external reserves witnessed a major increase during Abacha's time.
It didn't even the odds for the average Nigerian then.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Dollabiz: 9:32am On Dec 06, 2017
Good
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by hermosa7: 9:47am On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:

Thank you jare for your sensible comment. God bless you for thinking rationally.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by jrusky(m): 9:49am On Dec 06, 2017
And Diezani alone stole $90billion isn't and apc plus EFCC are making sense isn't?
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by 4Play(m): 10:24am On Dec 06, 2017
Mofe72:

Our external reserves witnessed a major increase during Abacha's time.
It didn't even the odds for the average Nigerian then.

What these people don't get is that the build up of the reserves is not necessarily a reflection of sound economic management. Reserves went up from $500m in 1993 to $9bn in 1997 (an increase of 1,900%) during the Abacha era as the currency lost value and oil prices stabilised.

The exchange rate is the "price" at which reserves are built up and oil prices/forex inflow is the income which pays for the price. It is cheaper to build up reserves at N360 to $1 than at N220 to $1 so comparing the total stock of reserves at significantly different exchange rates reflects economic illiteracy.

More importantly, and as you allude to, economic growth is weak to non-existent for most Nigerians. Reserves are meant to act as a buffer against sudden economic shocks, hence focusing on them is a bit of red herring when the economy is barely growing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by deco22(m): 10:27am On Dec 06, 2017
GavelSlam:

Who is this one.

If I can save when my income is 30 dollars what stops me from saving when it is 140 dollars.

What manner of Nigerians are we breeding?
It seems i have to keep on spelling it out for you,oil prices were low and the naira was losing its value and the CBN had to take money out of the foreign reserve to help the naira.

There was a oil boom in the early 2000s,but from 2010 to now due to the Arab uprising and other issues in the oil producing countries,Oil prices went down,and Nigeria which is highly independent on oil was greatly affected and the naira was losing its value which made the CBN spend our foreign reserves,whats so hard to understand there.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by deco22(m): 10:44am On Dec 06, 2017
GavelSlam:

No be only CNN na FOX network you for talk.

Your currency strength is proportional to your savings ( foreign reserves) and your debt ratio.

The currency weakened because there was no buffer to support it.

You cannot rewrite history. Jonathan inherited some respectable savings which he not only wiped out, he simply could not point to the benefit of doing so. In fact, since then we've discovered that his wife and many of his cronies became quite wealthy despite not having factories or industry.
I meant CBN smart ass,"auto correct"

And on the matter of savings,yes I accept there was wide spread corruption in the Jonathan administration,but Goodluck Jonathan had some of the best economic policies,had technocrats in his administration and was trying to better the lot of the country but he had to contend with so many problems from boko Haram to low oil prices to a host of issues.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Mofe72: 10:49am On Dec 06, 2017
4Play:

What these people don't get is that the build up of the reserves is not necessarily a reflection of sound economic management. Reserves went up from $500m in 1993 to $9bn in 1997 (an increase of 1,900%) during the Abacha era as the currency lost value and oil prices stabilised.

The exchange rate is the "price" at which reserves are built up and oil prices/forex inflow is the income which pays for the price. It is cheaper to build up reserves at N360 to $1 than at N220 to $1 so comparing the total stock of reserves at significantly different exchange rates reflects economic illiteracy.

More importantly, and as you allude to, economic growth is weak to non-existent for most Nigerians. Reserves are meant to act as a buffer against sudden economic shocks, hence focusing on them is a bit of red herring when the economy is barely growing.

Boss, you know your stuff.
Tell them
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by GavelSlam: 11:07am On Dec 06, 2017
deco22:
It seems i have to keep on spelling it out for you,oil prices were low and the naira was losing its value and the CBN had to take money out of the foreign reserve to help the naira.

There was a oil boom in the early 2000s,but from 2010 to now due to the Arab uprising and other issues in the oil producing countries,Oil prices went down,and Nigeria which is highly independent on oil was greatly affected and the naira was losing its value which made the CBN spend our foreign reserves,whats so hard to understand there.

Will you stop the tomfoolery.

The chart below says it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by deco22(m): 11:15am On Dec 06, 2017
GavelSlam:

Will you stop the tomfoolery.

The chart below says it all.
See bros,it seems you are not even reading what I am posting before you start typing,i just told you the reason why oil prices were low during Jonathan's time and now you are bringing a chart that is explaining what I am saying and you saying I am the fool...Lol
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by omoelerin1: 11:53am On Dec 06, 2017
GetUmad:

How does that affect the average Nigerian on the street or how has it been affecting the Nigerian economy?
It's like having a sophisticated tool without the technical knowledge to out it into its optimum use.

On a lighter note;
Why is it that when they are shooting a movie in Nigeria you'd see passersby watching. The annoying thing is even dogs and the chickens too would stay and be looking at the camera.
'How has it been affecting the Nigerian economy'? You don't even know what foreign reserve means.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by phkka1(m): 12:09pm On Dec 06, 2017
Emefiele there is no food on people's table. Salaries are not paid. Pensioners are dying and you are there telling me that the external reserves has increased.

Saving money to bury your political opponents or what? 'Onye ara'.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:
GOVERNOR, Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, yesterday, disclosed that the nation’s external reserves have risen to $38.2 billion, the highest in 39 months.

Emefiele disclosed this in Agbara, Ogun State while commissioning Unilever Plc’s 10,000 metric tonnes Blue Band factory.

Emefiele stated: “We have seen reserves move up from the $23 billion I talked about in October 2016, but as I speak today, external reserves are $38.2 billion.”

Emefiele said that the Unilever plant was made possible by the foreign exchange restrictions placed on the 41 items.

He said: “When the restriction of foreign exchange (forex) for the 41 items came on board about two years ago; before that time, Unilever had a factory producing Blue Band margarine. But margarine was also part of the 41 items. The Managing Director and the executive team of Unilever Nigeria visited me in Abuja and said they wanted us to grant them some form of forbearance. I said there was not going to be any forbearance, but that if he promised to re-establish the factory in Nigeria because as at that time their factory had been dismantled in Nigeria and taken to another country.

“And he (Unilever managing director) made a promise that between 12 to 18 months the factory would be re-established in Nigeria. Based on that, we granted them some form of forbearance that made it easy for them to import margarine into Nigeria, but we kept monitoring them and we were discussing.

“The entire essence is to say that by re-establishing that factory here in Nigeria, he has created direct jobs for Nigerians in this factory. He created indirect jobs for Nigerians by virtue of the fact that he buys palm oil which is part of the formulation that he uses in producing margarine.” What does it take produce margarine? It is mixing oil and water. By creating indirect jobs by buying from people producing oil in Nigeria, he feeds millions of people. “That is the entire idea. I keep saying we do not have foreign exchange to allocate to import products that can be produced in Nigeria. I am happy that Unilever has proved us right that Blue Band margarine can be produced in this country. So far they are doing about 10,000 metric tonnes per annum and he has promised that he is going to ramp it up to 50,000 metric tonnes. By doing so you create jobs, which is what we are talking about. By creating jobs, you save the country forex that is needed to create jobs.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/12/nigerias-external-reserves-hit-39mths-high-38-2bn-emefiele/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/12/06/external-reserves-hit-four-year-high-of-38-2bn-on-the-back-of-eurobond-issue/

As Nigeria's foreign reserve grows, More poverty swallows the citizens.
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by deji17: 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:
Thank you. I beg add the table of oil price, how much Nigeria earned from oil and local and foreign debt. It will show clearly howbNigeria has been raped under Badluck Jonothing
Re: Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele by tobiasbeecher: 6:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
kahal29:
GOVERNOR, Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, yesterday, disclosed that the nation’s external reserves have risen to $38.2 billion, the highest in 39 months.

Emefiele disclosed this in Agbara, Ogun State while commissioning Unilever Plc’s 10,000 metric tonnes Blue Band factory.

Mr man can you just stop posting this rubbish just to portray that the govt has done so well? If you're wise, the question you should be asking yourself is: does this increase solve the poverty, inequality, and unemployment question? If it doesn't answer this question, then it will be senseless to see this as a positive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Let Us Make Millions Together With Your Connections / Palm And Shoe Making Training / CBN To Implement E-Invoice For Importers, Exporters From February 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.