Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

ANNA (A Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / ANNA (A Short Story) (1057 Views)

A Night With Anna (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) / Why I Love The Color Black *a Short Story Of Sexual Abuse* / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ANNA (A Short Story) by Lilyjoe567(f): 7:14am On Dec 06, 2017
A two part short story.......

Part 1 of 2

Half a pound of tuppenny rice,
Half a pound of treacle.
That’s the way the money goes,
Pop! goes the weasel.

The little child giggled when her jack in the box popped out, it's head bobbing forward and backward as she clapped in appreciation

“I love it mom, thank you” she cooed, her face wide as saucers in excitement. Her mother seeing the joy in her little girl's face smiled knowing how much it meant to her child .

“You're welcome sweetie” the mother replied, placing a tender kiss on her child's head. The little girl went back to playing with her toy, her mother going about setting aside the grocery bag she has been carrying and placed it on the kitchen counter. She began offloading it's content, contemplating what would be suitable for dinner before a question came to her mind. She raised her head up to see her daughter transfixed with her new toy which seemed squarely odd for a five year old

“Anna?” she called, and the little angel looked up from her toy beaming as she looked up to her mother

“Yes mom?”

“why jack in the box? I could have gotten you a barbie”

“No mom, Jenny said I should get a jack in the box. She said she would play with me more if I got one.” the little girl replied smiling, before looking back down to her toy.

“If your friend don't play with you when you don't have a toy, then she isn't a very good friend Sweetie" mother said with a smile "and Who's Jenny?” mother asked frowning a bit as she had never heard of a Jenny from her daughter before.

“My new friend. Can't wait to show it to her ” Anna replied, not minding what her mother just said before, jumping off the kitchen stool and sauntered towards her room in pure ecstasy, living alone her smiling mother who just shook her head. And to think just a little toy can make her little girl that happy. Finally, she snapped her fingers in knowing. She has decided what she wanted to make for dinner.

Half a pound of treacle.
Pop! goes the weasel.

Mother stirred in her bed, her eyes fluttering as the song from the jack-in-the-box echoed faintly in the dark before waking up fully. Flicking the bedside light on, she turned to her side seeing her husband sleeping peacefully, seemingly unaffected whatsoever. Light snores escaped his nostrils, as his chest heaved up every breath he drew.
She turned to the the bed side clock which had the numbers 11:20 boldly shown.

With a sigh, she turned to arrange the covers over his sprawled out frame before flicking the light off, deciding to go back to sleep, but then the song came up once more, followed by giggles and her little girl's voice been heard faintly.

Heaving off the bed, she hugged her nightdress over her frame as she walked across the room, gently opening the door and made her way out towards her little girl's room.

She stopped right in front of the door when she saw the light peeking from the underneath the door

“Anna?” she knocked and soon the giggling stopped, but there was no reply.

“Anna? You awake", she called out again, knocking once more before opening up to see her little girl seated on the ground, her jack in the box in front of her.

“Sweetie? What are you doing up?” the mother queried walking up to her daughter who just kept mute, staring down at her toy.

“Jenny likes it too” she finally said, looking up, away from her jack-in-the-box to her perplexed mother.

“Jenny?” her mum asked, head craning to the side, confusion evident in her features.

“Yes” Anna nodded getting up from the ground as she climbed unto her bed.
“Good night mom” Anna said with a smile, before closing in her eyes almost immediately in sleep.

“Goodnight, her mother finally blinked away her blank state . She moved closer, bringing up the blanket over her daughter's frame, placing a lingering kiss on her forward.

Raising up, she turned around, picked up the jack, placed it by the side before heading towards the door. She flicked off the light and closed the door after her, as she walked towards her room with one thought alone in her mind.
Who's Jenny?

The door creaked open, and there was a low murmur

Mother thought she heard something as she rose half awake on the bed, resting both elbows on the bed for support as she looked wearily towards the door

“Anna?” she called out when she saw a small frame standing afar off, not moving but there was no reply

“Anna” she called once more heaving of the bed with a little difficulty as she stood upright. She turned back towards the door, but there was nothing there. She could have sworn she saw her daughter. She sighed turning to go lay back down when she nearly stumbled, doing a double take as her breath got caught in her throat in shock as she inhaled swiftly, her hand flying to her chest as she tried to steady herself

“Anna? What are you doing here?” mother asked, her hand dropping from her chest, heaving out a sigh of relieve, but there wasn't any reply

“Anna?” mother called, moving to touch her daughter, but stopped when the little girl inched away from her incoming touch, her tiny voice sounding out quietly

“Jenny is angry mom”

Confused, mother asked on impulse what's been bothering her since from earlier

“Who's Jenny sweetie?”

“My friend, and she's angry” came little Anna's reply

“How do you know she's angry?”

“She told me”

“When?”

“Few minutes ago”

“how?”

“She woke me up and told me”

Mother sighed when she realized her daughter could've been dreaming, but Anna remained adamant.

“Okay, so why is Jenny angry?” mother asked wearily stifling a yawn feeling the sleep coming up

“She wants to play with him too”

“him? Who?” mother asked wondering what her daughter was talking about

“Him” Anna said pointing to her mother's protruded belly which was eight months gone.......

2 Likes

Re: ANNA (A Short Story) by Alexbrain(m): 7:52am On Dec 06, 2017
Lilyjoe567:

A two part short story.......

Part 1 of 2

Half a pound of treacle.
Pop! goes the weasel.

The little child giggled when her jack in the box popped out, it's head bobbing forward and backward as she clapped in appreciation

“I love it mom, thank you” she cooed, her face as wide as saucers in excitement. Her mother seeing the joy in her little girl's face smiled knowing how much it meant to her child .

“You're welcome sweetie” the mother replied, placing a tender kiss on her child's head who went back to playing with her toy as she went about setting aside the grocery bag she was carrying on the kitchen counter and began offloading it's content, contemplating what would be suitable for dinner before a question came to her mind and she raised her head up to see her daughter transfixed with her new toy which seemed squarely odd for a five year old

“Anna?” she called, and the little angel looked up from her toy beaming as she looked up to her mother

“Yes mom?”

“why jack in the box? I could have gotten you a barbie”

“No mom, Jenny said I should get a jack in the box” the little girl smiled before looking back down to her toy

“Jenny? Who's Jenny?” mother asked frowning a bit as she had never heard of a Jenny from her daughter

“My new friend. Can't wait to show it to her ” Anna replied, before jumping off the kitchen stool and sauntered towards her room in pure ecstasy, living alone her smiling mother who shook her head. And to think just a little toy can make her little girl that happy. She snapped her middle and thumb fingers as she finally decided what she wanted to make for dinner.

Half a pound of treacle.
Pop! goes the weasel.

Mother stirred in her bed, her eyes fluttering as the song from the jack in the box echoed faintly in the dark before waking up fully. Flicking the bedside light on, she turned to her side seeing her husband sleeping peacefully, seemingly unaffected whatsoever, light snores escaping his nostrils and then to the the bed side clock which had the numbers 11:20 boldly shown.

With a sigh, she turned to arrange the covers over his sprawled out frame before flicking the light off deciding to go back to sleep when the song came up once more followed by giggles and her little girl's voice been heard.

Heaving off the bed, she hugged her nightdress over her frame as she walked across the room, gently opening the door and made her way out towards her little girl's room.

She stopped right in front of the door when she saw the light peeking from the underneath the door

“Anna?” she knocked and soon the giggling stopped but there was no reply.

“Anna? You awake, she knocked once more before opening up to see her little girl sitted on the ground, her jack in the box in front of her.

“Sweetie? What are you doing up?” the mother queried walking up to her daughter who just kept mute, staring down at her toy.

“Jenny likes it too” she finally looked up away from jack to her perplexed mother.

“Jenny?” her mum's head craned to the side in wonder.

“Yes” Anna nodded getting up from the ground as she climbed unto her bed.
“Good night mom” Anna smiled, closing in her eyes in sleep.

“Goodnight, her mother finally blinked away her blank state . She moved closer, bringing up the blanket over her daughter's frame, placed a lingering kiss on her forward.

Raising up, she turned around, picked up the jack placing it by the side before heading towards the door, flicked off the light and closed the door after her as she walked towards her room with one thought alone in her mind.
Who's Jenny?

The door creaked open, and there was a low murmur

Mother thought she heard something as she rose half awake on the bed, resting her elbows on the bed for support as she looked wearily at the door

“Anna?” she called when she saw a small frame standing afar off, not moving but there was no reply

“Anna” she called once more heaving of the bed with a little difficulty as she stood upright, her gaze turning back towards the door, but there was nothing there. She could have sworn she saw her daughter, she sighed turning to go lay back down when she nearly stumbled, doing a double take as her breath got caught in her throat in shock as she inhaled swiftly, her hand flying to her chest as she tried to steady herself

“Anna? What are you doing here?” mother asked, her hand dropping from her chest to her side but there wasn't any reply

“Anna?” mother moved to touch her but stopped when the little girl moved away from her touch, her tiny voice sounding out quietly

“Jenny is angry mom”

Confused, mother asked on impulse what's been bothering her since from earlier

“Who's Jenny sweetie?”

“My friend, and she's angry” came little Anna's reply

“How do you know she's angry?”

“She told me”

“When?”

“Few minutes ago”

“how?”

“She woke me up and told me”

Mother sighed when she realised her daughter could've been dreaming, but Anna remained adamant

“Okay, so why is Jenny angry?” mother asked wearily stifling a yawn feeling the sleep coming up

“She want to play with him too”

“him? Who?” mother asked wondering what her daughter was talking about

“Him” Anna said pointing to her mother's potruded belly which was eight months gone.......

Beautiful story! Love the suspense and mystery!!
Re: ANNA (A Short Story) by martiegold(f): 8:02pm On Dec 06, 2017
why am I getting scared? check out my story titled ' A mommy for Christmas' Muah....
Re: ANNA (A Short Story) by Lilyjoe567(f): 12:13pm On Dec 07, 2017
Alexbrain:

Beautiful story! Love the suspense and mystery!!

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

The Day After Asaya Kabba- Story By Jolvinlynxx / Www.shvoong.com / There Was A Writer: Re-mapping My Cultural Rebirth Under Chinua Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.