Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It (38994 Views)

UNIBEN Professor, Alexander Emoghene, Dies / Secondary School Boys Excited As They Go On Suspension (Photo) / UNICAL Recalls Professor Cyril Ndifon After Rape Accusation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 06, 2017
Keneking:
Economy class(room) grin
Lol.

Honestly I'm too tall for the tiny seats in the economy class of those 737s they fly locally. Anyone above 6feet height should either save money to fly business class or drive.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by taguafuo: 11:47pm On Dec 06, 2017
AFONJAPIG:
a professor that can not product toothpick that one na professor

The Nigerian system does not challenge it's citizens due to failure of leadership. I encountered more gifted people in Nigeria than I ever did abroad but the Nigeria situation makes it impossible to see past your next meal.

3 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by homesteady(m): 11:48pm On Dec 06, 2017
sirAliyu:
Nice write up tho

Yeaa, it was well written.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by allstarcomic(m): 11:59pm On Dec 06, 2017
emeijeh:

Lol.
Am I popular here?

po weitn??

i was eye wen i quoted you bros.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Deflorence(f): 12:15am On Dec 07, 2017
Wow! EZIGBO AHA KA EGO. The LEGEND himself.
We are the "LIGHT".

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Danelo(m): 3:04am On Dec 07, 2017
ChiefSweetus:

Isn't there a romance section post you can go and display your "wit" at?
ur obscure nature is affecting you horribly.
Cow!!
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by gentleiphy: 4:01am On Dec 07, 2017
ChangeIsCostant:
A Nigerian man, Patrick O. Okigbo III, has shared his encounter with 79-year-old Professor Emeritus, Alexander Animalu of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), whom he met on a flight from Enugu to Abuja.

The renowned professor Animalu is a physicist of international repute, member of the highest advisory body on Science and Technology to the Nigerian government, a pioneer of solar energy in Nigeria, the only African member to date of the Advisory Board of the Euro-Journal Physics and the only African member of the Editorial Board of the Hadronic Journal.

Below is what the excited man posted on Facebook after his meeting with the aged professor.

GOOD NAME

I am on the Air Peace flight from Enugu to Abuja. As usual, it is packed with a good mix of Ndigbo leaving the region to hustle in other parts of Nigeria and probably the world. It is always a good place to meet people and to get a sense for what’s happening in the region. You are sure to pick up interesting conversations.

As I walked to my seat towards the back of the plane, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have been assigned a seat across the aisle from Prof. Alexander Animalu, the renowned theoretical physicist. He was already holding court with some of the people seated around him. He regaled them with stories from his days at the then-prestigious Dennis Memorial Grammar School (DMGS) also referred to, by rivals, as “Does Monkey Go to School”. Animalu was in the graduating class of 1957. There were two other “DenGramites” around us and they were in awe of the man. They had only heard stories of Animalu’s academic prowess but never had a chance to meet him in person.

Prof. Animalu told us stories of how he arrived in the USA on January 01, 1966 to study physics at MIT on a Shell-BP scholarship. I told him that it was coincidental that my dad arrived London on the same day to study accountancy on a scholarship from Eastern Nigeria Development Commission.

He mentioned that he is from Oba in Anambra state. I told him that I am from next door, Ojoto. He spoke about some of my uncles who were his contemporaries: Pius, Bede, Chris. At the mention of Chris, the discussion went to the War.

As is often the case, Biafra makes a cameo in these conversations. Prof. Animalu did not fight in the war because he was in the States. Like most people from the region, he lost many friends and family members.

We spoke about his academic career and how much goodwill he still enjoys. Most of the people on the plane who recognized him came by to shake his hands. Even some politicians came from the front of the plane to greet him.

I thought of all the big Ogas on this plane: current National Chairman of a political party, two candidates in the January 2018 Senatorial elections in Anambra, a former Honourable Minister, etc. None had the same level of genuine admiration as this reputed emeritus professor who sat at the back of the plane, hoping to remain incognito, but whose academic accomplishments, life’s work, and good name caused for a long procession of people who just wanted to shake his hands. I kept thinking, “eziafa ka ego” (good name is better than money).

As the air hostess announced (in a jumble of accents) that we should switch off our phones and get ready for departure, I asked Prof. Animalu for a selfie. He obliged. I captured the moment to use it to teach my kids that good name is better than silver and gold.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/man-shares-his-experiience-after-encounter-with-prof-animalu-alexander-o-e.html

[b]He was born on 28 August 1938, the fifth child to Michael Animalu Nwakudu and Josephine Nkenwa in Okuzu, Oba of Idemili South L.G.A. of Anambra State of Nigeria, and attended St. Paul’s CMS Church School, Isu-Oba (1943–44); St. Thomas’s CMS Church School, Okuzu (1944–45), CMS Central School, Isu-Oba (1945–51), Dennis Memorial Grammar School (1952–56) for secondary education and (1957–58) for Higher School Certificate. He then attended University College, Ibadan (1959–62), where he was taught by Professor Chike Obi and Professor James Ezeilo. Animalu graduated with B.Sc. (Maths) and won the Faculty of Science Prize for the best performance for two consecutive years. He also won the Crowe's Prize on Abstract Algebra and Theory of Numbers and the University College Postgraduate Scholarship.

It was this College Scholarship that saw him through the University of Cambridge in the UK between October 1962 and December 1965, when he obtained the M.A. (Cantab) and Ph.D. (Maths) in Theoretical Solid State Physics. The high quality of his Ph.D. thesis was attested to, when the main results were published in Philosophical Magazine in 1965 and included in W. A. Harrison's book Pseudopotentials in the Theory of Metals. The book contained the model potential tables that were in such high demand by researchers in the field of metal physics and semiconductor electronics that the Ph.D. thesis work as published in Philosophical Magazine became by 1983 a citation classic, having been cited more than 729 times between 1965 and 2001.[3] He is the only African in Physics to have earned such a record of citations, his paper being the best among the best twelve cited papers from the University of Cambridge in fifty years (1930–80). It is of interest to note that four of these twelve most cited works from Cambridge have subsequently won the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Between January, 1966 and December, 1967, Animalu was Research Associate in Division of Applied Physics, Stanford University and between January, 1968 and August, 1968, he was a visiting scientist at the Department of Physics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. In September 1968, he was appointed Assistant Professor of Physics at the University of Missouri, Rolla. His research work was in solid state and elementary particle physics. In 1970, he moved to Drexel University in Pennsylvania, as Associate Professor of Physics. A major breakthrough in his career came in April 1972 when he was appointed a research physicist, at the Lincoln Laboratory of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) working under H. J. Zeiger and J. B. Goodenough on research projects related to development of computer core memory and primarily on the development of the transition-metal model potential, thus extending his Ph.D. thesis area to now include all elements of the periodic table. It was within this period that he completed his principal book, Intermediate Quantum Theory of Crystalline Solids, published by Prentice-Hall in 1977. It became a world-wide classic with an Indian edition published by Prentice-Hall of India in 1978. It was also translated into Russian by the Russian Academy of Science in 1981, reprinted in US in 1994 and is currently on the World Wide Web.

After a period of teaching and research in the UK and US between 1962 and 1976, he returned to Nigeria in 1976. Within a year of going back, he began to make contributions to the development of Nigeria.

He was invited to become a Professor of Physics in 1976 in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Nigeria, Nsukka by his former lecturer and the then Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Emeritus James Ezeilo. The former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, presented him with the Nigerian National Order of Merit (NNOM) [4] award for Basic Science in 2000. He rose in academic positions becoming Head of Department of Physics, UNN in 1981 and 1994 and Dean, Faculty of the Physical Sciences, UNN. His proposal to the Federal Government of Nigeria led to the establishment of a Centre for Energy Research and Development in the UNN in 1980. He became the first substantive Chairman of its Governing Board in 1989. The idea for a National Mathematical Center in Nigeria was hatched by Professor Emeritus Ezeilo and Animalu. He was the 1990 Ahiajoku lecturer, the highest Igbo academic privilege given to such scholars as Professor Chinua Achebe and Professor Onwumechili. His theory of high-temperature superconductivity based on the novelty of the pairing mechanism for electrons was published in Hadronic Journal in 1991. He has trained many Nigerians in the field of theoretical physics and solar energy and established two youth organizations, Society for Promotion of Indigenous Inventions and Creativity (SPIIC) and Century-21 Club.

With Willy Umezinwa he co-authored the 1968 book Asp, From African Symbols to Physics'. Animalu has more than 100 scholarly articles to his credit.

He was honoured with the position of Emeritus Professor of the University of Nigeria in 2006. He is also Chairman/CEO, Institute for Basic Research (Nigeria Division) and a Knight of St. Christopher (KSC)
[/b].[color=#000099][/color]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by DedeNkem: 5:26am On Dec 07, 2017
Looking at the Prof. makes me feel sleeping.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Rhea(f): 6:49am On Dec 07, 2017
ChangeIsCostant:
A Nigerian man, Patrick O. Okigbo III, has shared his encounter with 79-year-old Professor Emeritus, Alexander Animalu of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), whom he met on a flight from Enugu to Abuja.

The renowned professor Animalu is a physicist of international repute, member of the highest advisory body on Science and Technology to the Nigerian government, a pioneer of solar energy in Nigeria, the only African member to date of the Advisory Board of the Euro-Journal Physics and the only African member of the Editorial Board of the Hadronic Journal.

Below is what the excited man posted on Facebook after his meeting with the aged professor.

GOOD NAME

I am on the Air Peace flight from Enugu to Abuja. As usual, it is packed with a good mix of Ndigbo leaving the region to hustle in other parts of Nigeria and probably the world. It is always a good place to meet people and to get a sense for what’s happening in the region. You are sure to pick up interesting conversations.

As I walked to my seat towards the back of the plane, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have been assigned a seat across the aisle from Prof. Alexander Animalu, the renowned theoretical physicist. He was already holding court with some of the people seated around him. He regaled them with stories from his days at the then-prestigious Dennis Memorial Grammar School (DMGS) also referred to, by rivals, as “Does Monkey Go to School”. Animalu was in the graduating class of 1957. There were two other “DenGramites” around us and they were in awe of the man. They had only heard stories of Animalu’s academic prowess but never had a chance to meet him in person.

Prof. Animalu told us stories of how he arrived in the USA on January 01, 1966 to study physics at MIT on a Shell-BP scholarship. I told him that it was coincidental that my dad arrived London on the same day to study accountancy on a scholarship from Eastern Nigeria Development Commission.

He mentioned that he is from Oba in Anambra state. I told him that I am from next door, Ojoto. He spoke about some of my uncles who were his contemporaries: Pius, Bede, Chris. At the mention of Chris, the discussion went to the War.

As is often the case, Biafra makes a cameo in these conversations. Prof. Animalu did not fight in the war because he was in the States. Like most people from the region, he lost many friends and family members.

We spoke about his academic career and how much goodwill he still enjoys. Most of the people on the plane who recognized him came by to shake his hands. Even some politicians came from the front of the plane to greet him.

I thought of all the big Ogas on this plane: current National Chairman of a political party, two candidates in the January 2018 Senatorial elections in Anambra, a former Honourable Minister, etc. None had the same level of genuine admiration as this reputed emeritus professor who sat at the back of the plane, hoping to remain incognito, but whose academic accomplishments, life’s work, and good name caused for a long procession of people who just wanted to shake his hands. I kept thinking, “eziafa ka ego” (good name is better than money).

As the air hostess announced (in a jumble of accents) that we should switch off our phones and get ready for departure, I asked Prof. Animalu for a selfie. He obliged. I captured the moment to use it to teach my kids that good name is better than silver and gold.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/man-shares-his-experiience-after-encounter-with-prof-animalu-alexander-o-e.html

Prof Animalu is a jedi. World renowned. I'd take a selfie with him if I met him as well
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by AFONJAPIG(m): 7:34am On Dec 07, 2017
taguafuo:

The Nigerian system does not challenge it's citizens due to failure of leadership. I encountered more gifted people in Nigeria than I ever did abroad but the Nigeria situation makes it impossible to see past your next meal.
true talk

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Bifrost: 8:12am On Dec 07, 2017
[quote author=AFONJAPIG post=63046242]a professor that can not product toothpick that one na professor[/quote

Ashiere! So a theoretical physicist should 'product' toothpick for you abi. aunty odé
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by AFONJAPIG(m): 8:15am On Dec 07, 2017
[quote author=Bifrost post=63053219][/quote] gerrout of here
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by chukwunedu77: 8:27am On Dec 07, 2017
very interesting!! check out dis blog for more info: stemanblog.com.ng
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by africanusvu(m): 8:30am On Dec 07, 2017
emeijeh:
That means if he meets Anthony Joshua, he will just

grin
.and if I may ask u.what correlation have Anthony Joshua a boxer and Animalu.a professor emeritus in Nuclear physics pls
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by Bifrost: 8:47am On Dec 07, 2017
AFONJAPIG:
gerrout of here
E pain am. grin
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by drmuchin: 10:45am On Dec 07, 2017
But how come he didn't write a physics textbook like P.N Okeke, Anyakoha and Nelkon?

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by mechanics(m): 11:18am On Dec 07, 2017
What of PN Okeke also emeritus professor.
Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by garamah: 1:49pm On Dec 07, 2017
emeijeh:
That means if he meets Anthony Joshua, he will just

grin

Why are you comparing Anthony Joshua with the great Alex Animalu?. What has Joshua contributed to enhance human existence?. Alex is not a noise maker his contributions speak for the world, some of his work enable improvement in electronics you are using right now ask US DOE and DOD about Alex, in emerging tech such as superconductivity, quantum computing etc his work pave way for the new generations to achieve major breakthrough in science and technology. I don't know why we Nigerian celebrate useless things that add no value to live. Sensible nations and people celebrate scientific contributions that better human existence why we Nigerians celebrate slay mamas, bikini, unclothedness, BBN/BBA, useless musicians etc and expect better live. Animalu Alex is a legend in science/Physics worldwide.

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by garamah: 2:10pm On Dec 07, 2017
Again, Animalu Alex is by no means comparable to Okeke, Ayankoha etc in Nigeria, he is in the category of Rice in ETHZ Switzerland, Stephen Hawkin of Cambridge, witten, Susskind of Stanford. He is not a local champion with secondary texts, one of his book called elementary quantum theory of crystalline solids published in the sixties has India, Chinese, Russian versions and well referenced worldwide in any condensed matter (solid state) theory courses/text. He has been nominated for Nobel prize twice or more and the only Nigerian that can nominate people for Noble prize. He has been Prof. (functional not this Nigerian political Profs.) before joining UNN in 1975. I am his student presently.

4 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by effogis: 2:52pm On Dec 07, 2017
Education is the highest weapon one can use to change the world, the words of Nelson Mandela.

2 Likes

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by BlackAce31(m): 2:55pm On Dec 07, 2017
garamah:
Again, Animalu Alex is by no means comparable to Okeke, Ayankoha etc in Nigeria, he is in the category of Rice in ETHZ Switzerland, Stephen Hawkin of Cambridge, witten, Susskind of Stanford. He is not a local champion with secondary texts, one of his book called elementary quantum theory of crystalline solids published in the sixties has India, Chinese, Russian versions and well referenced worldwide in any condensed matter (solid state) theory courses/text. He has been nominated for Nobel prize twice or more and the only Nigerian that can nominate people for Noble prize. He has been Prof. (functional not this Nigerian political Profs.) before joining UNN in 1975. I am his student presently.
Ha'an na the guy is good and his achievements speak volumes but comparing him to Steve Hawkings is a bit too much na, don't u think?

1 Like

Re: Man Meets Professor Alexander Animalu On A Plane To Abuja & Is Excited About It by McTobe(m): 11:22pm On Jul 08, 2020
I am in need of this kind of motivational academic topic right now.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Covenant University Producing Many Atheists - Students / COVID-19 Patient Writes WAEC In Isolation Centre In Gombe / 30 Students Of Ambrose Alli University Took Exams, Graduated While Living Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.