Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? (1234 Views)

Microbiology Council Of Nigeria / Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM) Cries Out- We Are Equal To The Task / Spanish Hospital Where Coughing Coronavirus Patients Lay On Floor Of Corridor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? by Bacteriologist(m): 8:15pm On Dec 06, 2017
Warm welcome to the first (of many, hopefully) of my threads where I will be attempting to explain some concepts, terms, phenomena and general knowledge in the vast, promising and interesting field of microbiology to the "uninitiated."
Of course to the best of my ability.

This is so that most things you hear in the doctor's office or lab from the doctor, nurse or probably during your own research doesn't seem too strange.

Today I'll start by defining Microbiology. What is Microbiology? I like to define Microbiology as the study of the nature, distribution and morphology of organisms that are too small to be observed(micro-organisms)with the unaided eye only. Now enough of grammar.

IN LAY MAN TERMS, Microbiology is the study of "bacteria" or those organisms that cause disease. Even though that's just a tip of the iceberg of what we study.

These invisible organisms are called "kokoro tin tin tin" in Yoruba language. "Kananan kwayoyin" in Hausa language and "Obere ahuhu" in Igbo language.

In Microbiology we observe the behavior of these organisms, the way they are(their structure) and how they affect us. It is a wrong perception to think that these very tiny creatures are only capable of causing disease.

In fact only LESS THAN 3% of all microorganisms cause disease in humans. A greater number of them are actually beneficial to us. While the rest are simply indifferent(or free-living).

Next, I will explain how we study these beautiful, ubiquitous and inevitable forms of life in the microbiology lab.

Re: What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? by emmie14: 8:34pm On Dec 06, 2017
Good bless her who conceive and delivered u.
Re: What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? by PMPhoenix(m): 8:57pm On Dec 06, 2017
Cool
Re: What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? by Bacteriologist(m): 9:24pm On Dec 06, 2017
emmie14:
Good bless her who conceive and delivered u.

And you too, sir.
Re: What Is Microbiology To The Lay Man? by Bacteriologist(m): 9:26pm On Dec 06, 2017
PMPhoenix:
Cool

Thanks for your upvote sir.

(1) (Reply)

Cure For Hormonal Imbalance / We Are Aba Based Suppliers Of Hospital Equipment And Consumables. / Effect Of This Dusty/foggy Weather On Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.