Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

10 Steps For How To Get An Internship Or Summer Job For College Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Steps For How To Get An Internship Or Summer Job For College Students (395 Views)

Steps For Nigerian Students To Access Loan Scheme / King's College Students Beating Their Juniors (Video) / 10 Steps To Take Your Career To The Next Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Steps For How To Get An Internship Or Summer Job For College Students by davidgn(m): 3:40am On Dec 07, 2017
It’s Almost January – which means it’s time to start working on getting a summer job or internship, especially if you’re currently a college student.
That’s right. If you’re planning on scoring a temporary job this year to gain some experience, now is the time to get started on the process. And the process, from the moment you decide that you want or need a summer job to the moment you accept an offer, can be stressful and challenging.

By starting early and following these 10 steps, you can greatly increase your chances of landing the perfect internship.

1. Make Your Plans Based On Your Passions
Before you even start looking for a job, consider your interests and passions. You may be trying to land an internship relevant to your major, but you probably have certain areas within your field that you would like to focus on. For example, I was an Industrial Engineering major in college, and I wanted to focus on the service industry, specifically hospitality. So, naturally, I wanted an internship at Disney World.

If you have a specific company you want to work for, that great! You are ahead of the game. If not, at least figure out what industry or industries you are interested in and what type of experience you would like to gain. This will greatly narrow down your search.

2. Get Your Resume Critiqued
Recruiters may have to look through hundreds of resumes for a single job posting. It is important that yours is concise yet detailed enough to set you apart. It also needs to be free from errors. Make sure you avoid these resume, cover letter, and job application mistakes.

I highly recommend that you follow some of the best tips for resume writing and then have a professional do a critique. If you are in college, go to your career resource center for help. If you are not in school, check out ResumeEdge or even Fiverr to see if anyone would be willing to edit your resume for $5!

3. Prepare Answers to Interview Questions
Once you have your resume together, you need to prepare for what comes next if you’re selected: the job interview. Most interview questions that I have been asked aimed to find out how I responded to past situations; these are called behavioral interview questions. For example, a question might be, “When was a time that you had a difficult team member, and how did you deal with it?” With a question like that, the interviewer is asking you to describe the situation, how you overcame it, and.....https://scholarguider.com/10-sure-steps-getting-internship-positions-summer-jobs-college-students/READ MORE

1 Share

Re: 10 Steps For How To Get An Internship Or Summer Job For College Students by MaxInfo: 6:48am On Dec 07, 2017
“When was a time that you had a difficult team member, ....?”
Team playing is very essential in most jobs.

(1) (Reply)

Seven (7) Unforgetable Memories Only People Who Attend OAU Can Relate To / Jamb Orders All Institutions To Conclude 2017 Admissions Before January 25 / School Politics..help!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.