Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,092 members, 7,835,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy (1089 Views)

Did God Allow Polygamy In The Bible? / Yahweh(god) Of Old Testament Is Satan - Scriptural Proof Inside / Throw Your Bible Away If You Don't Believe In The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 08, 2017
This was what happened in Ethiopia Christians until recent times for example. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but just saying that it do indeed allow this practice.

1 Like

Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 4:27am On Dec 08, 2017
I suspect the one woman culture was from the Babylonian Empire. It seems that Israelitest were polygamous until they went to exile.

By the time Jesus was born their culture was changed. He found them under Roman Rule which we still live in. The Catholic Church must have taken it later and established it further. The early church took in many Roman practices.

We can see that the British culture was monogamous for as far back as King James (1600s I think) who had difficulty divorcing his one wife until he founded the Anglican church. All their monarchs before him - and the rest in Europe - are recorded as having one wife.

Check this out Hati13. We've decided to go back to our roots cool cool

1 Like

Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 08, 2017
Hati13:
This was what happened in Ethiopia Christians until recent times for example. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but just saying that it do indeed allow this practice.
Moses had two wives.
Abraham had two "wives"
David had many wives.
Solomon had 700 wives and concubines, including the Ethiopian queen of Sheba.
Etc etc

1 Like

Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 09, 2017
Muafrika2:
I suspect the one woman culture was from the Babylonian Empire. It seems that Israelitest were polygamous until they went to exile.

By the time Jesus was born their culture was changed. He found them under Roman Rule which we still live in. The Catholic Church must have taken it later and established it further. The early church took in many Roman practices.

We can see that the British culture was monogamous for as far back as King James (1600s I think) who had difficulty divorcing his one wife until he founded the Anglican church. All their monarchs before him - and the rest in Europe - are recorded as having one wife.

Check this out Hati13. We've decided to go back to our roots cool cool
Thanks for the explanation

About Kenya shocked, is it only for male or women can also do it? What is the reason for it (is it to increase population or just freedom or any other reason/s)?
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

Moses had two wives.
Abraham had two "wives"
David had many wives.
Solomon had 700 wives and concubines, including the Ethiopian queen of Sheba.
Etc etc
Solomon figure is very embarrassing. lipsrsealed
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

About Kenya shocked, is it only for male or women can also do it? What is the reason for it (is it to increase population or just freedom or any other reason/s)?
This is why we love Kenya grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

Solomon figure is very embarrassing. lipsrsealed
why grin grin grin
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

This is why we love Kenya grin grin
About the Kenya marriage bill, I appreciate all of them except the polygamy bill. Polygamy will lead to unwanted population increase and demoralize women. Women ain't property. angry
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

why grin grin grin
Because 700 wives is too much. Even 2 wives is too much. grin

By the way, there was an Ethiopian aristocracy by the name "Sahleselassie" in the 1800s. He was the member of the mythical Solomonic dynasty through Menelik I (son of King Solomon and Queen of Sheba). He had many wives and 500 concubines.

Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

About the Kenya marriage bill, I appreciate all of them except the polygamy bill. Polygamy will lead to unwanted population increase and demoralize women. Women ain't property. angry
Ermmmm.....you know that ploygamy was widespread in Africa not too long ago
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

Because 700 wives is too much. Even 2 wives is too much. grin

By the way, there was an Ethiopian aristocracy by the name "Sahleselassie" in the 1800s. He was the member of the mythical Solomonic dynasty through Menelik I (son of King Solomon and Queen of Sheba). He had many wives and 500 concubines.
Now that is a strong African king grin
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

Ermmmm.....you know that ploygamy was widespread in Africa not too long ago
Yeah but we shouldn't legalize this customary law on a national level. We should rather not legalize it and also de-appreciate the custom.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

Now that is a strong African king grin
grin
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

Yeah but we shouldn't legalize this customary law on a national level. We should rather not legalize it and also de-appreciate the custom.
well, i think that Africa needs some more population seeing the de-populating effects of HIV, Ebola, endless wars, hunger and perpetual migration to Europe and USA
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

grin
Is Haile Selassie related to King Solomon also ?
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

well, i think that Africa needs some more population seeing the de-populating effects of HIV, Ebola, endless wars, hunger and perpetual migration to Europe and USA
But if we look from net, we were increasing for the last century highly and it's still continuing. We are now more than 1 Billion.

If we look it from our landmass, our population is small but since our economy is small, we shouldn't increase at this rate because we can't provide the basic needs by ourselves. First let's improve our standard of life. Lots of awareness is being given in Africa to use family planning and I appreciate it.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

Is Haile Selassie related to King Solomon also ?
In real sense, no.
In mythical sense, yes (same as Sahleselassie and most of Ethiopian rulers from 1270 AD onwards).

The so called Solomonic dynasty is mythical and I've created a topic for it.
https://www.nairaland.com/4180224/solomonic-dynasty
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

In real sense, no.
In mythical sense, yes (same as Sahleselassie and most of Ethiopian rulers from 1270 AD onwards).

The so called Solomonic dynasty is mythical and I've created a topic for it.
https://www.nairaland.com/4180224/solomonic-dynasty
why mythical ?
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

Only for men (it's a man's world grin)

The reason is that despite the fact that polygamy was not allowed, people continued having more than one wife. This happened secretly and the hidden families would only come out after the death of the hUSB and to claim a share of inheritance.

It was also done to avoid instances where men would have many children Upandan and leave all the responsibility on mothers of their children. Many families were suffering because the law was not recognising them.

And its part of African culture. We've been integrating our culture into our laws so that we retain the good from the past and to avoid disruption of society.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

why mythical ?
I mean the dynasty was established on the mythical connection between King Solomon and Queen of Sheba. Some Ethiopians created the legend between those 2 personals and established the dynasty in the 13th century AD. None of the Ethiopian aristocracies who claimed Solomonic dynasty weren't descendants of King Solomon in truth.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

I mean the dynasty was established on the mythical connection between King Solomon and Queen of Sheba. Some Ethiopians created the legend between those 2 personals and established the dynasty in the 13th century AD. None of the Ethiopian aristocracies who claimed Solomonic dynasty weren't descendants of King Solomon in truth.
OK
What happened to the queen of Sheba and her kingdom/descendants?
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 09, 2017
Muafrika2:

Only for men (it's a man's world grin)

The reason is that despite the fact that polygamy was not allowed, people continued having more than one wife. This happened secretly and the hidden families would only come out after the death of the hUSB and to claim a share of inheritance.

It was also done to avoid instances where men would have many children Upandan and leave all the responsibility on mothers of their children. Many families were suffering because the law was not recognising them.

And its part of African culture. We've been integrating our culture into our laws so that we retain the good from the past and to avoid disruption of society.
I'm starting to change my attitude too it for the positive now. It's Africa culture like you said. It's our culture, so it should be legalized in all African countries. I would like to have 3 wives. grin

Do any of your family or relatives follow this custom?

1 Like

Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 09, 2017
imhotep:

OK
What happened to the queen of Sheba and her kingdom/descendants?
I don't know. She is said to lived in 10th century BC, but archeologists never found anything that prove if she even existed at all. Ethiopia and Yemen claimed her.

She may ruled Ethiopia or Yemen or both or may not existed at all.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

I don't know. She is said to lived in 10th century BC, but archeologists never found anything that prove if she even existed at all. Ethiopia and Yemen claimed her.

She may ruled Ethiopia or Yemen or both or may not existed at all.
Does any place called "Sheba" exist?
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 09, 2017
Hati13:

I'm starting to change my attitude too it for the positive now. It's Africa culture like you said. It's our culture, so it should be legalized in all African countries. I would like to have 3 wives. grin

Do any of your family or relatives follow this custom?
I would take advantage of it too if I was male grin. I think I would marry like 10. We'd start our own tribe cool

Afew of my relatives do. My grand dad, mom's side has two. But the families stay far apart. They don't interact. I don't even know them. I think there is bad blood.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 10, 2017
imhotep:

Does any place called "Sheba" exist?
I don't know, but there was a kingdom called "Saba" in ancient Yemen. If Queen of Sheba did for real existed, then that Kingdom was highly probable to had been what Queen of Sheba governed.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 1:31am On Dec 10, 2017
Muafrika2:

I would take advantage of it too if I was male grin. I think I would marry like 10. We'd start our own tribe cool
grin
But you said that only male allowed to marry more than one at the same time.

Muafrika2:

Afew of my relatives do. My grand dad, mom's side has two. But the families stay far apart. They don't interact. I don't even know them. I think there is bad blood.
grin
The behavior of staying apart is a recent thing for most Africans. I think it's because of globalization. We are still family, but it's changing. Our forefathers said "we" not "me". grin
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 4:07am On Dec 10, 2017
Hati13:

grin
But you said that only male allowed to marry more than one at the same time.
It can't work for females cheesy

grin
The behavior of staying apart is a recent thing for most Africans. I think it's because of globalization. We are still family, but it's changing. Our forefathers said "we" not "me". grin
That is true, They used to live in one compound in the old days. There was less competition because they had land and could prepare as much land as their strengths allowed them. Now it's hard because land is small, there is the looking for employment and education expenses too.
Re: The Old Testament Do Indeed Allow Polygamy by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 10, 2017
Muafrika2:

It can't work for females cheesy

That is true, They used to live in one compound in the old days. There was less competition because they had land and could prepare as much land as their strengths allowed them. Now it's hard because land is small, there is the looking for employment and education expenses too.
True

(1) (Reply)

Stephanie Otobo Confesses: I Was Used And Paid Against Apostle Suleman / God told me about Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crash, I warned leaders & prayed... / Pastor E.A. Adeboye's Sermon @ The November 2019 Thanksgiving Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.